Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Road America...info please

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Sooo Bad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New to Road America...info please

Hi folks,

My wife and I will be coming to Road America for our first time. I have read about the races, track, Corvette Corral since I was a little guy, but I am going to finally make the visit. We have the tickets, room, and a little info on the surrounding area, but because it is our first visit to RA, we need all the Corvetters help/info that you have to offer. We are driving our C6 out from Montana, and will probably stay in the area a few days after the races just to see the sights.

Please, if you have suggestions and or info that a "rookie" can use, I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks! Sooo Bad
Old 07-15-2008, 04:23 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One little hint, we are 9 miles out of the way of I-94.
WI loves to drink beer. Lots of cheese too Just get out there and follow the pack around for a few days, you will know the town-people before long. Many forum members are right in that area, I'm sure someone will pick up were I left off. JOEL that means you,.

Randy
Old 07-15-2008, 04:45 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would enjoy the drive into the area also. If you swing through Lake Geneva, find the Kettle-Morraine scenic drive from there up towards Elkhart Lake.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...kmscenicdrive/

That is a fun drive. Beautiful countryside in the summer/fall.

As for the driving school: Bring some basic tools, torque wrench, extra brake pads don't hurt, an extra quart or two of engine oil, some racing tape to cover your fogs and headlights if you are worried they will get damaged. A container for all the loose stuff in your car to go into, trash bag (RA has plenty of cans though), Floor jack, and a 1' by 1' by 3/4" square of plywood to set it on (so your jack doesn't sink into blacktop), if you need to get under your car. Water to drink, hat and sunglasses, and sun block. And of course "Never go anywhere without your towel" -Douglass Adams

BR,
Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 06:17 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Mike is that the area the fall color run takes place in?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Bradts at the track, (try an hit the concession when they are busy, NOT when they have them made up ahead of time).

Also, drive up to Green Bay for a Cheese Hat!

It's a big, beautiful track....try and see it all! I've never "watched" a race there except from behind the steering wheel, so I don't know where the best places are for viewing!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Sooo Bad
Racer

Thanks guys for the suggestions. We like our beer, brawts & cheese also! Tell us were the Corvette crowd gather, and we'd love to stop in and say "Hi"!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Mike is that the area the fall color run takes place in?
No idea, but It would be a good candidate I think.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

That Fall Color Run IIRC is in La Crosse Wisc On the Mississippi River. I went to UW La Crosse.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Todd Z
Racer

When are you going to be at RA? There is alot to do in the area and MIlwaukee and Green Bay are only an hour away. If you are a football fan LAMBEAU is a MUST!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Sooo Bad
Racer

We will be there at least a full day before the races start. I am hoping to get to Green Bay, if for no other reason than the history that it holds. After the RA and NCM events, we will take our time and see some of the country on our way home.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
It's a big, beautiful track....try and see it all! I've never "watched" a race there except from behind the steering wheel, so I don't know where the best places are for viewing!
Turn 5 at the bottom of the hill is neat as you can hear the cars roaring down before you see them. If you get high enough up, you can turn your head 180 degrees and watch them go into turn 14 before the front straight. Turn 12 has a lot of bleachers, best location here is as far to the right as you can get after walking down the stairs. This will allow you to see them well before Canada Corner.

Mike
Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I am thinking that some people might be confused. Judging from your comments and the pic in your avatar you will NOT be participating the the NCM's HPDE after the race. Correct?

The majority of Corvetttes there will probably be in the Corvette Corral which all Corvettes are invited to. This is not a Museum held corral. It is handled locally. We will be there with both of ours.

Enjoy the trip. Warm weather and sunshine on I94. Take advantage of it while it lasts.

Bob
Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
One little hint, we are 9 miles out of the way of I-94.
WI loves to drink beer. Lots of cheese too Just get out there and follow the pack around for a few days, you will know the town-people before long. Many forum members are right in that area, I'm sure someone will pick up were I left off. JOEL that means you,.

Randy
To find the Corvette folks will be easy just head over to the Corvette Corral at the outside of turn 3 the Corral has been there since the late 60's and is maintained by the Kettle Moraine Corvette Club, some good places to watch the racing are turn 5 either high up on the grandstand on the outside of 5 or the hill between 5 and 13 this gives you a vatage point of 5, 13 and 14. Also the inside or outside of 7 lets you see the cars exit 6 run through 7 and down to 8 and the begining of the carousel. Also when there is some V-8 power out there turn 12 (Canada Corner) is a great place to watch you'll find out why they call it thunder valley.
Food at the track the walking tacos at the stand across from the Corvette Corral are tasty, you can get a great brat anywhere at the track also the Gear Box (between the front streach and T-5) has roasted corn on the cob, otherwise it's pretty much just wander around and look at stuff until it's time for the nightlife.

As far as nightlife goes in downtown Elkhart here are a few great places Sebkins is a must old racer bar from way back, you can grab a deli sandwich at the bar or there resturant isn't bad. If you want a good sit down place Lake Street Cafe is great (big wine list and about 15 tap beers) it's a little pricey but not terrible, also the Paddock Club opened last year and has very good food also sit down and a good wine list. My pick year after year for best bang for the buck is Sal's Elkhart Inn (when you come into Elkhart there is a supper club on your left then a big white bank after the bank Sal's is on your left on the corner) Great food good prices Steve and Larry run a nice business there.

If you want to venture out of Elkhart Schwartz's of St Anna is a great steak place it's a little ways outside of Elkhart but the portions are large and prices arn't bad, but during a race weekend it will be one of the busiest spots in the county.

If you head into Plymouth the Depot has great steak at a fair price, 52 Stafford is a Irish guest house with good Irish fair. De O Mally's is my favorite pizza pub around 12 tap beers and the best pizza around.

Cool things to see in the area would be the Kettle Moraine senic drive (I absolutely love it in October - August won't be bad either) also here is a link to the old race track that was raced from 1950 to 1952 on public roads that are still there today. Kind of a cool little trip for any of you guys.
http://www.historicracecircuits.com/location.html

Lambeau and Miller Park are nice places, the Packer Hall of Fame is cool, the Harley Davidson Musuem just opened in Milwaukee which I hear is nice.

Good luck fitting it all into a weekend. Joel
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Todd Z
Racer

Joel covered it very well! See you in August.

Get notified of new replies

To New to Road America...info please

Quick Reply: New to Road America...info please