Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Belts-Harnesses HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Belts-Harnesses HELP!!

I am currently modding my car with a race car theme, built engine, stripes etc. I really want to add racing belts, harnesses to complete the look. I currently have chrome hoops(cosmetic only) and want to know if I can add belts with the hoops and will have to remove them.

This is all new to me so any advise or instruction will be greatly appreciated.

Pictures for reference!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Slik
Old 07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there are any DOT legal harnesses for the vettes. meaning, if you wanted to drive on the street with harnesses (and still be safe and legal) you would need bucket seats with holes for a 5 or 6 point harness and a harness bar at a minium, but a roll bar would be prefered.

Schroth makes the only DOT approved belts I know of called the Rallye 4 ASM (anti-sub-marine) but they aren't designed for use vettes because of how they need to be anchored.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Stick with your stock 3 point belt.

Most harness systems are not DOT legal or A particular State may not accept them.

If you really like the hoops, keep them. But they are only bling, as you know.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you could attach the shoulder harnesses to the hoops - but only for show. They probaby would not hold up to any kind of impact.

I installed Brey-Krause belt brackets in my C5 and put clips on my lap and sub belts so I could retain stock seatbelt.

I have a harness bar for the shoulder belts.

I need to check TX inspection laws about use of racing harnesses.
I'm putting a race seat in the car and don't want to swap stock seat and race seat just to get inspection.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by SS Racing
I think you could attach the shoulder harnesses to the hoops - but only for show. They probaby would not hold up to any kind of impact.

I installed Brey-Krause belt brackets in my C5 and put clips on my lap and sub belts so I could retain stock seatbelt.

I have a harness bar for the shoulder belts.

I need to check TX inspection laws about use of racing harnesses.
I'm putting a race seat in the car and don't want to swap stock seat and race seat just to get inspection.
Thanks I really am just after a look, not really functionality. Any thoughts as to how to do it?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Stick with your stock 3 point belt.

Most harness systems are not DOT legal or A particular State may not accept them.

If you really like the hoops, keep them. But they are only bling, as you know.

Really just after the "look" I do want to keep my stock belts, if I can make it work.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SLIK
Really just after the "look" I do want to keep my stock belts, if I can make it work.
Why would you just want the look and not functionality? Would it really cost that much more to get the look and have it actually work?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:35 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can loop the shoulder belts around the hoops - like is done for harness bars and roll bars. They will slide down to the floor though since you don't have anything on the hoops to hold them up.

The B-K brackets install where the lap portion of the stock seat belt is. One mounts to the inside of the seat where the receiver is on the stock belt. The other bracket mounts on the outside where the seatbelt retractor is. Your stock seatbelt stays and is functional. You will see just a little bit of the brackets.

Install clips on the ends of the harness lap belts and submarine belt. They clip onto the B-K brackets and can be easily removed when you are driving on the street. Or you can leave the belts attached. You can always use the stock seatbest - whether the harness belts are in or not.

You hardly notice the stock seatbelt when the harnesses are in. So the stock belt will not take away from "the look".

So is this just a show car or do you just want the look for driving around the street?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

if you want the REAL LOOK go drive though some pea gravel at about 100 mph, then chase another car though that pea gravel. for 40 min. 4 or 6 times.
Take a sand blaster to your windshield.

Paint your car three shades of red, mine is three shades of Yellow and spots of white primer showing though

Tech inspectors dont say 30 30 ( looks good at 30 feet doing 30 mph ) for nothing.

Just kidding

Your ride looks great
Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd weld a cross bar inside the hoops, and that is the perfect place to mount shoulder harnesses.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
if you want the REAL LOOK go drive though some pea gravel at about 100 mph, then chase another car though that pea gravel. for 40 min. 4 or 6 times.
Take a sand blaster to your windshield.

Paint your car three shades of red, mine is three shades of Yellow and spots of white primer showing though

Tech inspectors dont say 30 30 ( looks good at 30 feet doing 30 mph ) for nothing.

Just kidding

Your ride looks great
The told me in general you guys were rough over here.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Why would you just want the look and not functionality? Would it really cost that much more to get the look and have it actually work?

Well you have a point!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:51 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

If you do find a way to mount a harness, please don't ever actually use it while driving. Not only will it not actually work, but your airbag will not be as effective either. Drive with you stock 3-point. Cool ride though.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Naw. Many of us see each other at different events across the country so we become good friends. a little elbow in the ribs is normal.
We learn a lot from each other.

Everyone is welcome.

Many times if there is some sort of engineering myth about cars, there are many guys in where who can sort that info out.

Worse there were two vendors this past few years, who were trying to sell pure junk and scam products. Many guys in there call them on their junk and those vendors are no longer on this forum.

So hope you stay.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

OT, but any pics of your garage, it looks really cool
Old 07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is true, but we also have each other's backs and are happy to help. It is tough for some of us to swallow wanting to make a car "look" fast as opposed to "be" fast, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

As long as you're into cars most of us are cool with that

I do like the harness bar idea blur had, have you checked into that yet? It could be pretty well hidden so as not to disrupt the look, yet be functional so you could actually use the harnesses when we convince you to come to the track!
Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
This is true, but we also have each other's backs and are happy to help. It is tough for some of us to swallow wanting to make a car "look" fast as opposed to "be" fast, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

As long as you're into cars most of us are cool with that

I do like the harness bar idea blur had, have you checked into that yet? It could be pretty well hidden so as not to disrupt the look, yet be functional so you could actually use the harnesses when we convince you to come to the track!
I am good with that! But I never said they car wasn't fast. I had the car built a MDMC and according to the dyno I am 565 horse at the fly with about 480 ft pound of torque.. I just have no intention of tracking the car but I do like the look of the racing belts. It completes the "look" I am after and should I someday get tired of showing the car I probably will track it. Talk to a guy from a speed shop in Birmingham today and he can get a bar that runs across the back of the seat and bolt in the seat belt assembly, this bar would be about the same height as the holes in the sport seat. He recommend a 5 point harness with a twist release. He is going to check on it Monday. Thinks he may have one in stock.

Does this sound close to right??

Slik

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Belts-Harnesses HELP!!

Quick Reply: Racing Belts-Harnesses HELP!!