Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting engine after cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:52 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Starting engine after cooler install

I just installed the Dewitt's rad with EOC and was wondering if it would be a good idea to pull the ignition fuse and spin the engine to get oil in the lines before starting it. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:40 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CF6873
I just installed the Dewitt's rad with EOC and was wondering if it would be a good idea to pull the ignition fuse and spin the engine to get oil in the lines before starting it. Any input would be appreciated.
It's not a bad Idea. it takes quite a while to fill the lines.
just don't run the starter too long at a time crank for 10-20 sec then let it cool down a bit do it again till you see oil pressure on the gauge

Old 07-19-2008, 07:42 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I personally think you are doing the same amount of damage dry running it with the starter, as you would dry running it with combustion. I'd just fire it up, and if you don't have pressure within 10seconds......pray!

Ideally, I'd pressurize the system with an external pump or accusump before turning it over at all.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I personally think you are doing the same amount of damage dry running it with the starter, as you would dry running it with combustion. I'd just fire it up, and if you don't have pressure within 10seconds......pray!

Ideally, I'd pressurize the system with an external pump or accusump before turning it over at all.
Probably has little effect just starting however we always started aircraft engines after oil was up. I can't say just why but that is what I was taught. the new oils coat things fairly well. but there is no shock load if it's not fired.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Engines can run a pretty long time at idle with no oil. The coating left on the bearing surface protects them and there isn't sufficient power to hurt the bearings. Every time you change your oil you will have this problem as the oil lines will drain completely when you drain the oil. At least mine do as I have a remote oil filter which is at the lowest point in the lines.

Bill
Old 07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CF6873
start the engine watch the oil pressure gauge. after 10 seconds if there is no pressure turn it off. wait 5 minutes then repeat. i read this somewhere and i used it on my vette. 5 track days since so it must have worked. only took two starts for it to work for me
Old 07-21-2008, 03:26 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

how about pulling the injector wires so it doesn't get fuel ?? or fuel pump fuse.... and just crank it until pressure builds... so no stress on the motor, except the compression stroke.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Accusump.

Wire to ignition switch.

A whole lot cheaper than just labor to drop engine, much less the repair cost.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

There's some loading, but the torsionals aren't there.

We used to run engines at Lycoming on a motoring rig, to test the accessory case out, no fire, there's still a load, but it's not the same.

Originally Posted by the blur
how about pulling the injector wires so it doesn't get fuel ?? or fuel pump fuse.... and just crank it until pressure builds... so no stress on the motor, except the compression stroke.
That's the better way of doing it, so your not filling the cylinders up with fuel, especially if it's a new engine, the fuel can wash the rings out.

The accusump is a better idea.

I wish a still had a distributor hole on my LT1 intake, the old trick was to yank it and still the oil pump with a drill.

Gary primes his GT1 car by taking the belt off the pump and spinning it with a drill.

You can also get an electric pump and hook it up just to get it filled up.

This is for a transmission or differential, I used it on a test rig.

Good enough to prime an engine, just don't get any crazy ideas about running it with it.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Get notified of new replies

To Starting engine after cooler install

Quick Reply: Starting engine after cooler install