Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got TPS installed on my Toyo R888 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Got TPS installed on my Toyo R888 yesterday

I am afraid he destroyed my tires, when infalting them back to bed them onto the wheels again he inflated them to 80 psi

Anyone know if that would hurt my tires, i guess the pressure was in there for less than 20-30 seconds ?

Going back to the Ring and would hate a tire failure in high speed

TIA

Rune
Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

very common to overinflate to seat the beads..., I don't think it should hurt anything.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
very common to overinflate to seat the beads..., I don't think it should hurt anything.
Good to hear, so i guess the max 40 psi means while driving

Rune
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rune it's very common to use over 80psi to mount the racing slicks. That ultra stiff sidewall for high g cornering requires a much stouter mounting setup. Thus the elevated pressures to seat the bead. No problem as long as you take it out relatively soon after they're seated. Did you say the 'ring? You are a lucky man sir.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:07 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

check the manufacturer web sites for their technicial information. I know I've seen something about mounting techniques.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
I am afraid he destroyed my tires, when infalting them back to bed them onto the wheels again he inflated them to 80 psi

Anyone know if that would hurt my tires, i guess the pressure was in there for less than 20-30 seconds ?

Going back to the Ring and would hate a tire failure in high speed

TIA

Rune
Rune

Putting the sensors in is a good way to avoid having problems with going into Comp Mode or turning off AH completely. But, if they are new sensors you'll have to register them with the TPMS computer in the car.

Were these the original sensors that were in your old wheels/tires? Did they mount the wheels on the car?

If they are new sensors and they put the wheels on the car, I guess they did a "relearn" procedure to "register" the new sensors - right?

If you are not going to put the wheels on until you get to the track you'll need a tool to do the relearn procedure when you put them on - do you have a tool to do that? Below is a video of using a tool to "register" the sensors.

Have fun at the 'Ring!!!

Bob

Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Rune

Putting the sensors in is a good way to avoid having problems with going into Comp Mode or turning off AH completely. But, if they are new sensors you'll have to register them with the TPMS computer in the car.

Were these the original sensors that were in your old wheels/tires? Did they mount the wheels on the car?

If they are new sensors and they put the wheels on the car, I guess they did a "relearn" procedure to "register" the new sensors - right?

If you are not going to put the wheels on until you get to the track you'll need a tool to do the relearn procedure when you put them on - do you have a tool to do that? Below is a video of using a tool to "register" the sensors.

Have fun at the 'Ring!!!

Bob

Thanks bob, yes i do have a similar unit to reprogram my TPS, and yes i did it for two reasons
1. keep an eye on pressure while driving
2. be able to completely turn off AH :-)

I did turn it off with no TPS, but i could feel something midturn that could have been AH kicking in :-)

Bowmanized, yes it is "the ring" and it is my second time, it is awsome and no video can do it justice

Going with a bunch of beemers, very nice guys, many knew what a Z06 can do, but a few had no clue

Rune
Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Good luck, and keep it on the pavement! You will use the Penskes there for sure!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Good luck, and keep it on the pavement! You will use the Penskes there for sure!
Yes, and with the new settings that i got from you, it will be interesting to see how she feels.

Rune

Get notified of new replies

To Got TPS installed on my Toyo R888 yesterday

Quick Reply: Got TPS installed on my Toyo R888 yesterday