Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! C6 electrical issues after installing Sparco seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Help! C6 electrical issues after installing Sparco seats

Installed a Sparco seat on driver's side, complete w/C6 belt buckle. It went in fine, car drove fine, no messages on DIC, except for the airbag light (expected - as the car has side airbags).

The problem is that the interior lights refuse to shut off, even after I shift into reverse (its an 05), turn everything off, exit the car, lock the car etc. Lights just stay on. And they stay on while driving as well. It's as if the car "thinks" I opened the door and am in the car, but haven't started the engine yet.

I have pulled the "Batt 30" fuse to force it off, so the battery does not drain, but this is not a solution. Any ideas / fixes from those who have installed aftermarket seats?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you did not press the light button on left side of dash
Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Marc-

Sounds like you bumped the little light switch on the dash to the left of the steering column during your installation. If you push it again, it may shut off the lights.

And, BTW - Aaron Pfadt sells a harness that overrides/fools the computer into thinking the airbag is still connected. If your car has a telescoping wheel, this harness will also re-enable it's adjustment when you have the Sparco's installed. It's about 100 bucks, but I personally MUST be able to adjust the wheel to get comfortable ...
Old 07-21-2008, 12:43 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Ahhh, thanks so much guys. That was it!! I'm such a dummy. I was sweatin' bullets there for a bit.

Crystalracer, thanks for the info on Pfadt's relay. I'll look into it. I think I set the telescope to max out right when I bought the car and never moved it. It stayed extended when the seats went in.

I can't say enough about having real shell seats and how much better I stay planted in corners. I was actually driving certain sections noticeably faster than before. Wow.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:06 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Ahhh, thanks so much guys. That was it!! I'm such a dummy. I was sweatin' bullets there for a bit.
Glad to help. This is a common 'issue' for Corvette Newbies... RTFM j/k

I think I set the telescope to max out right when I bought the car and never moved it. It stayed extended when the seats went in.
If your wheel remained extended, then you got lucky. I've heard that certain C6 ECU firmware versions will cause the telescoping wheel to fully retract (in towards the dash) and refuse to move as long as the airbag isn't detected. I haven't installed my Sparco seat yet to see what mine does.
I can't say enough about having real shell seats and how much better I stay planted in corners. I was actually driving certain sections noticeably faster than before. Wow.
No doubt. On my drive home from the NCM event at VIR, I found that my left knee was bleeding through my jeans from bracing my weight so hard against the door speaker grill. Full harnesses and racing shells will surely help that, too.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 07-21-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
Glad to help. This is a common 'issue' for Corvette Newbies... RTFM j/k

If your wheel remained extended, then you got lucky. I've heard that certain C6 ECU firmware versions will cause the telescoping wheel to fully retract (in towards the dash) and refuse to move as long as the airbag isn't detected. I haven't installed my Sparco seat yet to see what mine does.
I have an 05, so maybe it is not that "smart" (like its owner??). For example, I run my second R-compound wheelset without sensors and have absolutely no issues.

Last edited by TTRotary; 07-21-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! C6 electrical issues after installing Sparco seats

Quick Reply: Help! C6 electrical issues after installing Sparco seats