Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wait, did i read that right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default wait, did i read that right?

Originally Posted by vette magazine-9/08
...to compensate (for the switch from 90/10 gas to E85), the team is allowed to use a larger fuel tank....the current car holds 90 gallons, but most agree that an increase to 100 gallons or more will be needed to compensate for the disparity in fuel economy... unfortunately, the C6.Rs are configured to allow a maximum fuel tank size of just 102 gallons....
HOLY BEJEEBUZ! and i always thought the early Z06 36 gallon tank was a big bastage! just trying to wrap my brain around that. that would be roughly the equivalent to stuffing two 55 gallon drums somewhere behind the driver seat. i had no idea they carried anywhere near that much fuel.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM
flycastinguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was blown away too. At 6 lbs/gal that's a huge load. Unless it's strategically placed, wouldn't it change the handling characteristics of the car as fuel is burned?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:12 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect that that is a misprint. ACO regs allow a max of 90 liters, not gallons (LMGT1 regs, para 6.5).
Old 07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

joe, that makes a bunch more sense. but the article actually states gallons several times. i think i might write in to question the facts.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm positive it's liters, not gallons. You can look it up, para 6.5 of the regs:

http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re...fr_gb_2008.pdf

The ACO/IMSA have "adjusted" fuel capacity slightly for cars running, deisel, E85, etc.

If the corvettes ran 90 gallons they wouldn't have to re-fuel during an ALMS race (they also would be significantly slower on full tanks, with all the extra weight)

Get notified of new replies

To wait, did i read that right?

Quick Reply: wait, did i read that right?