Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Seats that mount on Vette Manual Seat Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Default Race Seats that mount on Vette Manual Seat Track

Which seats on the market will bolt to the Manual Seat Track without a bunch of adapter hardware? I have an Ultrashield seat on the driver's side. I want to install a race seat on the passenger side so I can take riders on the track. I want the seat to be moveable and not require a support bar going to the roll bar.

Bill
Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think many clubs would require the same seat on both sides for passengers.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
not hte same seat, but the same level of seat. for example a race seat properly mounted with a harness would be fine if he has an ultrashield.

oh and...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2082658

Old 07-21-2008, 09:36 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I'm not sure, but I think it's an "equal restraint" requirement.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...qual+restraint

Apparently if you're running harnesses, you must have a race seat (no OE seats even if you have put some pass-through holes in them).

If you run harnesses for the driver, you must run harnesses for the passenger seat (if you're going to carry an instructor/evaluator or passengers). If you have harnesses, you must have a race seat.

I think the common wisdom is that any race seat will work for either side, so they could be different seats (different models, or even different manufacturers) as long as they are both designed as "race seats".

Bob
Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I mounted an intermidiate Kirket seat to a set of manual C5 tracks pretty easily. PM me if you would like pics.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Currently I have been able to run with 6 point harnesses on the C5 seat in my Z. It has the Sport Seat Leather on it so there is a pass through in the seat back for the shoulder harnesses but some of the clubs are requiring a race seat Vs a modified stock seat now. The seats do not have to be the same style of seat but do have to be properly installed and it would be better if I had a seat that would move on the passenger side. I am leaning away from an aluminum seat since they require a seat back brace.

I have been looking at a couple different fixed back seats in the $250 range but both seem to require about $200 of custom mounting hardware. I would prefer to just bolt to the stock seat track but it is hard to find any info except from people who have actually installed the seats.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-21-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

I mounted corbeau seats to the passenger rails in my z06. It required using some aluminum strap bars that you can find at home depot or lowes. You just need to drill a couple of holes into them to mount to the rails and the seat.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Currently I have been able to run with 6 point harnesses on the C5 seat in my Z. It has the Sport Seat Leather on it so there is a pass through in the seat back for the shoulder harnesses but some of the clubs are requiring a race seat Vs a modified stock seat now. The seats do not have to be the same style of seat but do have to be properly installed and it would be better if I had a seat that would move on the passenger side. I am leaning away from an aluminum seat since they require a seat back brace.

I have been looking at a couple different fixed back seats in the $250 range but both seem to require about $200 of custom mounting hardware. I would prefer to just bolt to the stock seat track but it is hard to find any info except from people who have actually installed the seats.

Bill
Old 07-22-2008, 02:30 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ProgGod
I mounted corbeau seats to the passenger rails in my z06. It required using some aluminum strap bars that you can find at home depot or lowes. You just need to drill a couple of holes into them to mount to the rails and the seat.
Be careful. The seat and its manufacturer's mount is designed as part of a safety system. So if you do a custom mount make sure it is up to strength needed especially if one uses say a BK belt mount on the race seat hardware.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:43 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Be careful. The seat and its manufacturer's mount is designed as part of a safety system. So if you do a custom mount make sure it is up to strength needed especially if one uses say a BK belt mount on the race seat hardware.
Agreed, but if you see how these mount you would understand its pretty easy to adapt them. The belts shouldn't really be mounted to the seat.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure if you would consider them to be "race" seats, but Caravaggio's were designed to mount to the stock rails.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I did on the drivers side (using passenger side slider).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1931483
Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Webz
Here's what I did on the drivers side (using passenger side slider).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1931483
I replicated this installation with a 17" Kirkey using the passenger rails as ikllustrated. It is super solid and has the flexibility of sliding.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Seats that mount on Vette Manual Seat Track

Quick Reply: Race Seats that mount on Vette Manual Seat Track