Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro 26 or 27 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Camaro 26 or 27 mpg

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Camaro keeps concept look
GM to start producing the revived muscle car in winter
Scott Burgess / The Detroit News
WARREN -- The all-new Camaro will come with three trim levels, three engine choices and a look that closely echoes the concept vehicle that has created a two-year buzz on the latest of the Big Three muscle cars to return to the road.

General Motors Corp. executives took the wraps off the production version of the brawny muscle car at the GM Tech Center Monday and released details on the model, which had been discontinued in 2002.

"We think that this vehicle is going to bring a lot of zest," said Ed Pepper, Chevrolet's general manager. "It creates such an emotional appeal for so many people."

Advertisement
Even before the looks and specs of the production model were revealed, more than 600,000 people have shown interest in the revived Camaro, GM said.

The automaker will begin building the car Feb. 16 in Oshawa, Canada. It should roll into dealerships next spring, a time when car buyers shop for sport coupes, Pepper said.

Pricing will be released closer to the Camaro's production date; Chevrolet would not say when it will begin taking orders for the coupe.

The car, built on the same platform as the Pontiac G8, will include an independent suspension, electronic stability control, a six-speed automatic or manual transmission, and a host of high-tech features such as Bluetooth and USB connectivity, high-intensity discharge headlamps, rear parking assist and XM Satellite Radio.

While production versions of popular concept cars often are watered-down design-wise, the production Camaro stays true to the look that created such a huge uproar from Camaro fans after it debuted at the 2006 North American International Auto Show.

"This car lives up to the passion," said Ed Welburn, GM's vice president of global design, adding that it was designed in the United States but engineered in Australia.

The four-passenger Camaro LS, the base model, will include a direct injection 3.6-liter V-6 that produces 300 horsepower and reaches an estimated 26 mpg. It will include 18-inch steel wheels.

The Camaro LT will also feature the 3.6-liter V-6, but will have an upgraded interior package and 18- or 19-inch aluminum wheels. And the Camaro SS will come with two V-8 offerings, the 422 horsepower 6.2 liter V-8 and the similar sized 400 horsepower V-8 that includes the Active Fuel Management system. The AFM feeds fuel to only four cylinders while cruising on the highway. This gives it an estimated 23 mpg on the highway.

Vetting the marketplace
While muscle cars may have lost their favor with many as gas prices continue to climb, Chevrolet and industry watchers believe there's still a market for such vehicles.

"We don't think the sports car market has been fully tapped; this car brings that emotional appeal," Pepper said.

Chevrolet will promote all of the fuel-saving technology in the Camaro. Things like the direct-injection, six-speed transmissions help this car get an estimated 26 or 27 mpg, Pepper said, calling those numbers "unbelievable."

During its first life, GM sold more than 4.8 million Camaros. Based on the 1969 Camaro, the new concept was designed to integrate the past with the future.

Industry analyst Jim Hall, president of 2953 Analytics in Birmingham, said Chevy hit all of the right marks with the design. He believes there is potential growth in the coupe market.

Many of the big truck and SUV drivers were traditionally coupe buyers in the past, Hall said. Now that those vehicles have lost popularity as gas prices have shot up, they will be looking for something just as prestigious.

The new Camaro could fit the bill.

"But a lot of that depends on the price," he added.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty cool that a 6 banger makes 300 horse power
Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Those weight numbers are mind-numbing: ~3900 lbs??? And (rhetorical question here) why the 20" wheels? It doesn't look like the front brakes require them. Looks like the new Camaro is going to be nothing more than a "look at me in my cool retro car", not with that amount of weight.

I wonder how many new 'maro owners will swap out the IRS for a solid axle?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-22-2008, 10:39 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Pretty cool that a 6 banger makes 300 horse power
yea I always think back to my 88 LSC with a 302 and it made 230?hp and I thought it was ok for a daily driver. Now they are really getting some power from small engines. Hope it sells to help them out of the hole.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:09 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Other than the looks, this is a step backwards for the Camaro.

I had a '98 SS that weighed 3410 pounds with SFCs and STB but no driver. It could get 29 mpg on the highway and ripped to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and the 1/4 in 13.5 seconds at 107 mph (dynod 292 rwhp stock)
I think the sticker price was around $28k or $29k.

2009 Camaro 3900 pounds divided by 422 hp = 9.24 pounds/hp
2002 Camaro 3400 pounds divided by 345 hp = 9.86 pounds/hp

So it should be quicker than my '98 but it will be 11 years newer and I would have expected a larger improvement in accleration. Given the additional traction required to accelerate, turn, and stop all of that 3,900 pound mass, it just doesn't seem worth it. When they bloated the GTO up to 3,800 pounds I suspected the new Camaro would be a heffer...and apparently it will be.

This is supposed to be the everyman's sportscar. However, few people can afford the maintenance cost of 18, 19, or heaven forbid 20 inch tires.

How unfortunate for the Camaro. It was because of the poor gas mileage and weight that led me to buy a cheap 'beater' car so I could keep my Vette and still have transportation with a backseat for my little ones. Otherwise I was going to sell the Vette and get a new F-body.

Last edited by FASST LN; 07-22-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was pondering the the Camaro as a DD family vehicle but if it's getting worse mileage than the Corvette the only upside is the ground clearance. Frickin' speedbumps at work...
Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Things like the direct-injection, six-speed transmissions
help this car get an estimated 26 or 27 mpg, Pepper said,
calling those numbers "unbelievable."
Note to Mr. Pepper: direct the speech writers to expunge
"unbelievable" from the list of adjectives permitted for use in
describing the fuel economy of forthcoming vehicles.

Suggested alternatives:
- amazing
- economical
- exceptional
- outstanding

Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I was pondering the the Camaro as a DD family vehicle, but if it's getting
worse mileage than the Corvette the only upside is the ground clearance.
Frickin' speedbumps at work...
As a DD family vehicle, the Camaro also bests the Corvette by offering
2 more seats and greater luggage space.

If the Camaro is similar to the G8 in these respects, then the rear
seats and trunk will truly be functional. The G8's fr/rr cabin seating
and trunk dimensions are VERY spacious.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Note to Mr. Pepper: direct the speech writers to expunge
"unbelievable" from the list of adjectives permitted for use in
describing the fuel economy of forthcoming vehicles.

Suggested alternatives:
- amazing
- economical
- exceptional
- outstanding

LOL!! Nice!
I guess Mr. Pepper would find the fact that my 5.7 liter V8 gets over 30 mpg on the highway "impossible" or "supernatural".
Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Janet Curran
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by FASST LN
Other than the looks, this is a step backwards for the Camaro.

I had a '98 SS that weighed 3410 pounds with SFCs and STB but no driver. It could get 29 mpg on the highway and ripped to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and the 1/4 in 13.5 seconds at 107 mph (dynod 292 rwhp stock)
I
As part of the Camaro Focus Group I have been privileged to drive Camaros and obtain lots of info. This car is GREAT!

Final testing is yet to be done, but reliable sources have stated that 0-60 times will be well under 5 seconds and the quarter mile around 13 seconds. This little brother to the Corvette is now ready to take his place in the family. Please don't make up your mind on this car until you have had the opportunity to drive and admire what Chevrolet has provided for the 2010 Camaro.

Janet
Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Janet,

Hey, I'm a Camaro die-hard! My dad had a '69 Z-28 (which he sold before I could drive it ), and I've got a '94 Z-28 with over 200K miles on the original engine. My son gets this one when he graduates from college.

BUT, 3900 lbs??? My '03 Crown Vic only weighs around 4200!!

I just hope they build enough of them that I'll have an opportunity to look at getting one (new is out of the question due to previously mentioned son's college )

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

I would guess a 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 13.0 at 110.
I'm really curious about the aerodynamics given the shape of the front grill and fascia.

I think they should have foregone the retro look and developed something more clean like the Aston Martin (as far as looks). That's just me though. I didn't grow up in the 60s (or really the 70s) so the retro thing is neat, but doesn't do a lot for me. I sure hope they managed to flatten out the underside so the exhaust could be tucked into the body and not hanging down like on the 4th gens...any word on that Janet?

(Given my statement above, I know I'll still drool when I see my first one in person )
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 AM
briannutter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On the Aero, I saw some numbers stating .36 for the RS and .35 for the SS. It's wide, but low...so frontal area shouldn't be too bad. I also saw a number of 8:20 around the ring in the 422 horse SS. This would make sense if you compare it to the CTS-V...which ran the 7.59. I think it will be a great car and I will be getting one to replace my stolen '67 RS when they come out with the Supercharged Z28. That looks to be a few years off, but there is talk about a 1LE suspension for motorsports....again, not right away...but they are aware of the demand.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Those weight numbers are mind-numbing: ~3900 lbs???
Where did you see those numbers?

Bill
Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I was wondering the same thing, though they fall in-line with what I suspected.

Good to hear about the possible 1LE option. I was wondering if they might do that again.
A supercharged Camaro!? That would be fun...and probably cost more than a base Vette.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

The Camaro is said to be based on the G8.

The G8 GT's (V8) curb weight is advertised as 3,995 lbs, as tested
wgts have been reported as 4,100 ish.

The G8 has a wheelbase of 114.7". The Camaro has a wheelbase
of 112.3".

Various sources have speculated on and/or repeated GM's estimates
for Camaro curb weights for trim levels & powertrain combos. One
example of these prognostications follows below:
Curb weight (lb / kg):
3750 / 1705 – LT w/ automatic
3741 / 1700 – LT w/ manual
3769 / 1713 – LS w/ automatic
3780 / 1718 – LS w/ manual
3913 / 1779 – SS w/ automatic
3860 / 1755 – SS w/ manual
From another source, the low/high range is predicted as
3741 - LT w/ manual
3913 - SS w/ automatic
Some of the references for the information above:The only reference that really mattersGiven what is known about the G8 and the Camaro's shared heritage,
my vote is that the predicted numbers are reasonable. Unless some
fancy material substitutions have occured, the apple is unlikely to
fall far from the tree.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FASST LN
A supercharged Camaro!? That would be fun...
From the LeftLane/Road&Track rumour mill (June/08)
"If you aren’t confused yet, just hold on a minute. Road & Track
also surmises that a Z28 model will join the range sometime
after the convertible bows in 2010, but that it will trump the
SS – completely going against the Camaro’s history. Power for
the Z28 is said to be sourced from a detuned version of the
Corvette ZR1’s supercharged LS9 motor, making somewhere
in the neighborhood of 480 to 500 HP."

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro 26 or 27 mpg

Old 07-23-2008, 12:02 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
From www.camaroz28.com, but I see Slalom4Me has already posted the references to the GM post.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 PM
yellerstang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3900 lbs is amazingly high since it looks to be half as long as the 4th Gen. canal barge.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Well, the 4th gens didn't actually have a lot of important material in the front of that long nose. Most of it could have been removed with no other changes to the car.

On a side note, I saw my first Challenger today. It was better looking than I thought it would be. The pictures I've seen make it look huge, but it was actually not that bad. I didn't even realize they had hit the streets yet.

Quick Reply: Camaro 26 or 27 mpg