Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Power steering acting up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help! Power steering acting up!

I was running my '98 C5 yesterday at Summit Point. By the last session, my steering wheel kept tightning and going back to normal as if the power steering was going in and out. The car is still drivable but definitely not normal. Any advice?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for leaks, look for bubbles in the fluid. Replacing the pump isn't that big a deal, really, if you don't mind renting a pulley puller. Mine was doing the same thing. Replaced, and now very much more normal.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I have a power steering pulley puller and will be at VIR this weekend if you would like to use it. It sounds like the pump is going. Still...look for crimped lines, leaks, etc.

Bob
Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hamdog
I was running my '98 C5 yesterday at Summit Point. By the last session, my steering wheel kept tightning and going back to normal as if the power steering was going in and out. The car is still drivable but definitely not normal. Any advice?
Your PS pump is cooked,add a cooler when replacing the pump.

http://www.turnone-steering.com/
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z11409
Your PS pump is cooked,add a cooler when replacing the pump.

http://www.turnone-steering.com/
Old 07-22-2008, 06:08 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, i've had the exact same issue for about a year now. Only happens at summit point in the carousel. I'll be fixing it after VIR this week.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Oh, +1 for the Turn One product. That guy knows PS systems. It's a reworked stock pump. Same installation, virtually the same felt steering, though it's a bit heavier at low RPM (like 900).
Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yakisoba
Oh, +1 for the Turn One product. That guy knows PS systems. It's a reworked stock pump. Same installation, virtually the same felt steering, though it's a bit heavier at low RPM (like 900).
Agreed Turn one makes an amazing pump. It takes like an hour to remove the old one and install the new one....

just do yourself a favor and remember which way the pulley goes back on
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Agreed Turn one makes an amazing pump. It takes like an hour to remove the old one and install the new one....

just do yourself a favor and remember which way the pulley goes back on

Another vote for Turn One. I replaced two stock ones inside of a year, the Turn One is well into it's second year with no problems.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

big cooler like I put in is cheap. I put a stock pump back in.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
hamdog
Racer

Thank you all for your input. The are no visible leaks. I've replaced every fluid within the last month except for the power steering. I'm going to start off with that and see what happens. I have a feeling the pump is fried though. I'll update.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Are you guys sure the pump is cooked? I had the same issue at VIR this year, and I believe the old fluid was boiling. My steering would stiffen, and then go back to normal, around lefthand Turns 3 and 4.

A fluid change at the last event a couple of months ago eliminated the issue that weekend - but I need to put more track miles on it to say with confidence that the fluid solved the issue.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 PM
hamdog
Racer

Originally Posted by RedLS6
Are you guys sure the pump is cooked? I had the same issue at VIR this year, and I believe the old fluid was boiling. My steering would stiffen, and then go back to normal, around lefthand Turns 3 and 4.

A fluid change at the last event a couple of months ago eliminated the issue that weekend - but I need to put more track miles on it to say with confidence that the fluid solved the issue.

I hope you are right! Did you replace with a synthetic fluid Redline etc?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by hamdog
I hope you are right! Did you replace with a synthetic fluid Redline etc?
I used Redline synthetic. My old fluid was 5 years old. After the tight steering on-track with the old fluid, I pitted and noticed some fluid had boiled out (leaked out?) the top of the reservoir, and the reservoir was low - bottom of the dipstick. Check your fluid first.

If the steering is still good after another couple of events, I'll say with more certainty that it was the fluid. If the problem returns, I'll look into a new pump. BTW my car is an '02 Z06 with a power steering cooler.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM
hamdog
Racer

Originally Posted by RedLS6
I used Redline synthetic. My old fluid was 5 years old. After the tight steering on-track with the old fluid, I pitted and noticed some fluid had boiled out (leaked out?) the top of the reservoir, and the reservoir was low - bottom of the dipstick. Check your fluid first.

If the steering is still good after another couple of events, I'll say with more certainty that it was the fluid. If the problem returns, I'll look into a new pump. BTW my car is an '02 Z06 with a power steering cooler.

Thanks for your input! I plan on doing exactly that.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 PM
hamdog
Racer

Update on power steering issue. I replaced the fluid with Redline synthetic fluid and checked the belts etc. to make sure everything is in order. Last Friday at summit, the problem persisted after 10 minutes of being on the track. It looks like the 10 year old pump (no cooler on my '98 BTW) is now done. I just ordered the Turn One T40Y (high pressure) pump. That should take care of the problem.
Thanks for the input and Turn One recommendation. Jeff has been responsive, informative and great to work with.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Power steering acting up!

Quick Reply: Help! Power steering acting up!