Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 suspension travel

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default F1 suspension travel

From the on-board cameras this year it looks to me like F1 cars have significantly more suspension travel compared to past years. As in I can actually see the suspension move were as previously I couldn't. Has anyone else noticed this? I remember reading somewhere that F1 cars had around 5mm of travel (that's about .2"!) but that doesn't look to be the case anymore. I'm guessing the reduced down force and a little less aero sensitivity to ride height has allowed them to run more travel. Perhaps it could also be that new fangled J-damper.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't know what the ground clearance on these cars is/was, but they routinely use all of it up and scrape the wood plank on the bottom of the car. They've been doing that for years.

Maybe the amount of "travel" is what the shocks are moving given the linkage ratios....
Old 07-23-2008, 03:59 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

You haven't noticed the suspension travel on the on-board shots? They usually scrape the bottom at higher speeds because the down force has them running lower. That is also why they had such little travel and high spring rates. The aero package was very sensitive to ride height but recent changes like raising the front wing have reduced it somewhat. This season I've noticed the control arms actually moving up and down as the car drives (especially the rear). I haven't seen that in years in F1. You see it all the time in Champ cars and what not. Am I the only one that noticed it? Maybe I need to drink less during the races...

I know they ratio up the movement because it is so small the shock can't react with such little travel. All that happens at the rockers after the push rod so a change in ratio wouldn't be detectable from the outside of the car.

Last edited by burners; 07-23-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I haven't noticed the increased suspension travel. Most wishbones are carbon fiber now - little flex, so probably more true travel in the wishbones?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

They (the control arms/wishbones) have been carbon fiber for about 10 years now so I don't think that is it. It's just that in the past I've rarely seen the suspension actually move when going over curbs or other bumps but this season I can see it moving even when they aren't running on curbs. Granted, it's not much (maybe a 1/2") but it is more than before.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Less downforce. It sounds like the guys are trying to find some more mechnical grip.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To F1 suspension travel

Quick Reply: F1 suspension travel