Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

preparations for tracking the car

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Default preparations for tracking the car

Ok I am thinking about getting a new z06 and track it, drag race it sometimes and circuit race it most of the time. I probably will get semi competitive to pretty competitive. My goal is to have fun, pass other supercars like F430, 599, 997 lambos etc etc or get a good lap time and maybe win some trophies. So my question is like how much money will I need/prepare? How much do you guys spend fixing up/maintaining a track car? I guess tires will need to be replaced, brakes, rotors. Maybe some accidents and need to replace some panels? clutch, tranny and maybe engine. however maybe this will be covered by the warranty? I heard that chevrolet is pretty track friendly and mod friendly. They will fix up your car if you break it at tracks or if it's modded most of the time. So how about other parts, how much should I prepare and what should I expect? I might like crash it and have no z06 to drive for months, or total it. I guess that's possible or I just have to take it easy when I am on tracks.

Probably won't want to crash it or total it on the first year so maybe I will just take it really easy on the first year. What if I just go to tracks once a long while have a little fun here and there, maybe once a month and just take it easy, is it possible to avoid spending any money at all? and keep the car in good shape and stay pretty reliable. any help will really be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
Ok I am thinking about getting a new z06 and track it, drag race it sometimes and circuit race it most of the time. I probably will get semi competitive to pretty competitive. My goal is to have fun, pass other supercars like F430, 599, 997 lambos etc etc or get a good lap time and maybe win some trophies. So my question is like how much money will I need/prepare? How much do you guys spend fixing up/maintaining a track car? I guess tires will need to be replaced, brakes, rotors. Maybe some accidents and need to replace some panels? clutch, tranny and maybe engine. however maybe this will be covered by the warranty? I heard that chevrolet is pretty track friendly and mod friendly. They will fix up your car if you break it at tracks or if it's modded most of the time. So how about other parts, how much should I prepare and what should I expect? I might like crash it and have no z06 to drive for months, or total it. I guess that's possible or I just have to take it easy when I am on tracks.

Probably won't want to crash it or total it on the first year so maybe I will just take it really easy on the first year. What if I just go to tracks once a long while have a little fun here and there, maybe once a month and just take it easy, is it possible to avoid spending any money at all? and keep the car in good shape and stay pretty reliable. any help will really be appreciated.
You had crash, total, and money more in this post then I have ever seen before. Have you ever hit something before in a car??? These 3000 pound cars with big power hit hard, hard enough to pull your head right off your shoulders. I have heard the story from corner workers it's pretty ugly. It's a very good thing to understand whacking a car on the track because it can happen.
If you printed out this post and gave it to everyone in your run group. You would have the track to yourself.

Go to a event and see what is going on. Then hang out here and find out what is needed for prep. This is a great group of track junkies, with families they need to come home to after a day at the track.

Randy
Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=673766
Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

however maybe this will be covered by the warranty? I heard that chevrolet is pretty track friendly and mod friendly. They will fix up your car if you break it at tracks or if it's modded most of the time.
This part of the post jumped right out at me and wedged itself in my eye.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What car salesman fed you this line of BS?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:47 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any help will really be appreciated.
RIGHT - Let's see if we can find Dr Melfi's phone number for you to make an appointment - you can talk to her about your "problems" !!!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you gotta ask-you cannot afford it
Old 07-24-2008, 01:32 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

What if I just go to tracks once a long while have a little fun here and there, maybe once a month and just take it easy, is it possible to avoid spending any money at all?
the short answer.... absolutely not, this is a very expensive sport.

the long answer is, i need whatever you're smoking. and i need it now.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:25 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Ok I am thinking about getting a new z06 and track it, drag race it sometimes and circuit race it most of the time.
new as in c6 z06? bad choice for a race car due to alum. frame.

i agree with everyone else also. it doesn't sound like you've been on a track?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Your story sounds more like you have been playing computer race games and not very good at it.

Used race car WITH ROLL CAGE is the starting place. Then re learning how to drive so you dont go off track again.

Race tracks are not places to go crash yourself or other ppl

by the way, what part of the country are you in and what tracks did you run on?

Warranty will not cover much on the track. Motorsports is about Personal Responsibility.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-24-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

Go to a event and see what is going on. Then hang out here and find out what is needed for prep. This is a great group of track junkies, with families they need to come home to after a day at the track.

Randy

I couldent agree more
Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Your story sounds more like you have been playing computer race games and not very good at it.

Used race car WITH ROLL CAGE is the starting place. Then re learning how to drive so you dont go off track again.

Race tracks are not places to go crash yourself or other ppl

by the way, what part of the country are you in and what tracks did you run on?

Warranty will not cover much on the track. Motorsports is about Personal Responsibility.
Ya I didn't mean to crash into other people on the track, but that will happen and I am worried about the cost. I guess if you are careful enough it will rarely happen. My tracking experience is very limited, I have only been to the level 1 in spring mountain and 2 other small tracks. So I guess tracking a brand new car is a bad idea, a used car will roll cage I think I will look into that. thanks guys
Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

thanks a lot this thread is very helpful!!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Ya I didn't mean to crash into other people on the track, but that will happen and I am worried about the cost.

You crash into OTHER PPL you PAY for their repairs. Your Insurance will not cover you on a Race track or in racing.

and on many tracks, and organization, if you deliberately crash into some one, or crash TOO much, there is the wonderful 13/13 rule.

you get banned for 13 month then put on probation for 13 months. If you crash again in that 13 month probation then you are banned for life.

Tracks and organizations talk to each other and know who the trouble makers are.

Racing and track time is not about crashing, but finding your personal limits. Yes occasionally a crash or bump may happen.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

thanks a lot, did I sound like I play too much racing games and I crash into other cars to win in those games? heh I was wondering how often crashing will happen on tracks, I guess it's pretty rare and they have rules and punishments.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

thanks a lot, did I sound like I play too much racing games and I crash into other cars to win in those games? heh I was wondering how often crashing will happen on tracks, I guess it's pretty rare and they have rules and punishments.
How old are you? What kinda of "wheeled" stuff did you do as a kid? Go carts, minibikes, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, street racing - any of this stuff??
Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I guess it's pretty rare and they have rules and punishments.
For track days it better be not happening at all, or your history.

W2W racing ( SCCA or NASA ) those are watched closely and appropriate actions are taken if warranted.

Get notified of new replies

To preparations for tracking the car

Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will try and stay positive in my comments since you seem to want to learn, however, the way you worded your original posts sounds wreckless and thats scary..... My responses below are assumptions that you want to get into lapping days, HPDEs and open 1/4 mile days. If you mean REAL wheel to wheel racing in a club or series... youre talking a LOT Of money

Ok I am thinking about getting a new z06 and track it, drag race it sometimes and circuit race it most of the time. I probably will get semi competitive to pretty competitive. My goal is to have fun, pass other supercars like F430, 599, 997 lambos etc etc or get a good lap time and maybe win some trophies. So my question is like how much money will I need/prepare? How much do you guys spend fixing up/maintaining a track car? I guess tires will need to be replaced, brakes, rotors.
C5 Z06 and C6Z06's are great cars for the track the way they come from the factory. However as you start to get more and more seat time you will most likely want to start modding. The best thing to start with is Safety mods, i.e rollbars/cages, seats, harnesses, etc.. The next set of mods will depend on your true passion.. roadracing and drag racing require very different set ups and your money will be spent differently for each type of event. but typically, Brakes, wheels, suspension, drivetrain and engine are what you will be upgrading.

Maybe some accidents and need to replace some panels?
I have been tracking for a few years and have not had any accidents or needed to replace any panels. If it does happen its most likely because you pushed the limits of the car and went into a wall yourself.

clutch, tranny and maybe engine. however maybe this will be covered by the warranty? I heard that chevrolet is pretty track friendly and mod friendly. They will fix up your car if you break it at tracks or if it's modded most of the time.
engine and clutch will NOT be covered and Tranny wont either if you are dragging it. Expect to replace all this out of pocket.

So how about other parts, how much should I prepare and what should I expect? I might like crash it and have no z06 to drive for months, or total it. I guess that's possible or I just have to take it easy when I am on tracks.
Best advice here is to go out to events where there are instructors, they will help you understand HOW to drive your car and that will minimize any chance of collision.

Probably won't want to crash it or total it on the first year so maybe I will just take it really easy on the first year. What if I just go to tracks once a long while have a little fun here and there, maybe once a month and just take it easy,
all track days are fun when done safely, the more time you spend on a track the harder you can push it.. .starting off easy and leaving your ego at home is a great idea.

is it possible to avoid spending any money at all? and keep the car in good shape and stay pretty reliable. any help will really be appreciated.
this is NOT possible at all. Once you decide to track your car, its going to cost you money.. expect things to wear out much faster and break, its just the way it is.

Last comment, driving on a track is better then racing on the street but you need to respect the people that are out there as well. This WILL cost money and ultimately you are responsible for everything that happens.

Have fun and be safe with whatever you decide
Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
anotherone
Pro

you guys gave seriously instructive answers. I actually thought this was a joke or written by a 12 yr old.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Z11409
If you gotta ask-you cannot afford it

Quick Reply: preparations for tracking the car