Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Intake Choices for Roadracing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Air Intake Choices for Roadracing

Just purchased an 02 C5Z for track use and I need some advice from you veterans. I am looking for the best CAI as far power around a track & it seems that a Vararam B2 with its cool air inlets and positive pressure "at speed" make it a leading candidate. I am also considering a "Breathless Vortex Rammer". I am doing the cooling mods with a Dewitts radiator and also installing the Pfadt external oil cooler as I know they are more important than a CAI. However, I'm looking for some advice on the CAI & if there is another CAI available that is better than the ones I mentioned please advise. TIA
Old 07-27-2008, 08:11 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be watching this thread closely... I have the BP Vortex and have been happy with it over the years.. but lately I have been driving to events and being caught in some rain (Typically my car will only see sunny days, so it wasnt an issue).. Couple weeks ago I was caught in some driving rain driving to an event and when I stopped and popped the hood I saw lots of drops all around my filter... wasnt thrilled about that.. My race shop and I have "Air Intake" as an item to discuss. I know they say you dont need to worry about Vararam and Vortex and hydrolocking unless you submerge the nose in water but the basic philosophy of open inlets...sucking in forced air right to the filter makes me second guess that...
Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GettReal
I will be watching this thread closely... I have the BP Vortex and have been happy with it over the years.. but lately I have been driving to events and being caught in some rain (Typically my car will only see sunny days, so it wasnt an issue).. Couple weeks ago I was caught in some driving rain driving to an event and when I stopped and popped the hood I saw lots of drops all around my filter... wasnt thrilled about that.. My race shop and I have "Air Intake" as an item to discuss. I know they say you dont need to worry about Vararam and Vortex and hydrolocking unless you submerge the nose in water but the basic philosophy of open inlets...sucking in forced air right to the filter makes me second guess that...
I was advised of the issue you mentioned about the BP Vortex and is one of my reasons for posting. Being new to this I plan on driving my car to events although hopefully not in the rain. IMO, the Vararam seems less likey to ingest gulps of water but rather a spray of water that will have to be drawn upward against gravity. My main question is from a purely dry condition performance aspect, thanks for chiming in
Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

taken quite a few V raams and other double cone intakes OFF cars for better air intake. and better breathing. Less air turbulence in the intake

Plus put duct tape over the screens for aero

Vortex and Cyclone work well.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

The zip-tie mod gets my vote if you're going to go to the trouble, and is free. FWIW, I've been on-track with many other Z06's with CAI units and zip-tie airboxes, and as far as I can tell, they have no straightaway advantage over my stock airbox.

Last edited by RedLS6; 07-28-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I was advised of the issue you mentioned about the BP Vortex and is one of my reasons for posting. Being new to this I plan on driving my car to events although hopefully not in the rain. IMO, the Vararam seems less likey to ingest gulps of water but rather a spray of water that will have to be drawn upward against gravity. My main question is from a purely dry condition performance aspect, thanks for chiming in
Dry conditions - Vortex is awesome... as I said...I've had mine for 5-6 years with NO issues. Dont let the water issue frighten you away from that then, I have over 50k miles on mine on the street and track. I'm just looking for something better if its out there.

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
taken quite a few V raams and other double cone intakes OFF cars for better air intake. and better breathing. Less air turbulence in the intake

Plus put duct tape over the screens for aero

Vortex and Cyclone work well.

What are you running?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 130 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I had the Vararam then went with the Callaway Honker, IMHO the Honker is definitely the better of the two.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Honker FTW
Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedLS6
The zip-tie mod gets my vote if you're going to go to the trouble, and is free. FWIW, I've been on-track with many other Z06's with CAI units and zip-tie airboxes, and as far as I can tell, they have no straightaway advantage over my stock airbox.

Well not quite as inexpensive as the zip-tie mod, but a used Vortex with airbridge (plastic) cost me $50

So based on your response and others here I feel pretty good
Old 07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GettReal
Dry conditions - Vortex is awesome... as I said...I've had mine for 5-6 years with NO issues. Dont let the water issue frighten you away from that then, I have over 50k miles on mine on the street and track. I'm just looking for something better if its out there.

What are you running?
It is like the Vortex and Cyclone. But I made it myself. and goes though the radiator shroud. Used lots of black duct tape to seal the cracks too.

Driven in the rain and never a water issue.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
mitchcole
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the Donaldson Blackwing.

No noticeable improvement over stock. Don't buy it. (I got it for free!)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Tavarez
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lingenfelter intakes not so hot?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Interesting sidenote for anyone looking at intakes - I have a blackwing intake on a heads and cam C5/Z06. Fast intake, 90mm TB.
I run a Wideband O2 sensor fulltime. Speed Density tune i.e. MAF is nonfunctional - fueling is via the VE table and MAP sensor (in general).
At cruise and idle my AFR is around 14.7.

I bought an ACP/Kerry Hitt CF vented hood to replace my old, nonvented hood. Put the hood on and my AFR at idle and lower rpm/cruise sailed to 15.7-16.2.
The engine is getting more air with the vented hood.

FWIW.

joel
Old 07-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Actually, I am happy with my Blackwing. Hasn't caused any problems, seems to help with power and gets plenty of cold air coming in through the front screens.

Bill
Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Black wings have done very good jobs for a CAI.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I did my first zip-tie mod in 1998 for the C5Registry newsletter, and have done many version since, including a version for the C6 where I flipped the filters over and allowed them to breath through the shroud.

I personally don't think you get much improvment with any of the airboxes over just going to a high quality gauze replacement filter. You have to make aero and/or cooling sacrifies in order to get COLD air into your engine, so I think most of them are a wash in the end.

btw, have the K&N setup on the Z06...as there was no drop-in-replacment filter available. I like it, but I have no idea if it was worth the investment.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

While car was on the dyno, I installed a Honker intake. I picked up 13 HP and 11 torque at the rear wheels. Probably does even better with ram air effect at speed on the road course. By far the cheapest dollar/HP of all my mods.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Intake Choices for Roadracing

Quick Reply: Air Intake Choices for Roadracing