Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 track car... a chance for a do-over!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
craig brian johnson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 track car... a chance for a do-over!

I had an incident with my roadrace C4 last spring... it fell off the track and backed into the wall.

Thanks to a forum member, I now have a new C4 body/frame and now have a chance to make the car "better" than before.

With previous lessons learned, I'm not going to make this car quite as "hardcore"... because my experience showed me that the absolute lightest, lowest, most powerful, etc. came a too high a price (in reliability, convenience... and fun!)

This time:

I'm going to use a real windshield that you can see out of instead of lexan that scratches, flexes and glares... and a defroster to keep the inside from fogging up.

I'm going to pull the crossover headers off and use a standard set of headers; ones that won't melt my shoe and burn my pant leg.

I'm going to use a camshaft/valve train that is gentle and reliable... one that does'nt require you to loosen all the rockershafts every time you park the car... or adjust the lash before each event.

I'm going to make room to put the passenger seat back in... I really miss not being able to share my fast hobby with friends... and see their smile when they get pinned back with the torque.

I'm going to leave more of the weight (body substructure) so that the doors, etc. don't flap in the wind... and will use door/hood hinges instead of pins so that I can get out of the car or check my oil without needing a pit crew.

Yeah, I'll be slower... but I think happy!

Thanks for the parts and hospitality Jack!

Last edited by craig brian johnson; 07-28-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by craig brian johnson
I had an incident with my roadrace C4 last spring... it fell off the track and backed into the wall.

Thanks to a forum member, I now have a new C4 body/frame and now have a chance to make the car "better" than before.

With previous lessons learned, I'm not going to make this car quite as "hardcore"... because my experience showed me that the absolute lightest, lowest, most powerful, etc. came a too high a price (in reliability, convenience... and fun!)

This time:

I'm going to use a real windshield that you can see out of instead of lexan that scratches, flexes and glares... and a defroster to keep the inside from fogging up.

I'm going to pull the crossover headers off and use a standard set of headers; ones that won't melt my shoe and burn my pant leg.

I'm going to use a camshaft/valve train that is gentle and reliable... one that does'nt require you to loosen all the rockershafts every time you park the car... or adjust the lash before each event.

I'm going to make room to put the passenger seat back in... I really miss not being able to share my fast hobby with friends... and see their smile when they get pinned back with the torque.

I'm going to leave more of the weight (body substructure) so that the doors, etc. don't flap in the wind... and will use door/hood hinges instead of pins so that I can get out of the car or check my oil without needing a pit crew.

Yeah, I'll be slower... but I think happy!

Thanks for the parts and hospitality Jack!
great idea! i bet your just as fast
Old 07-28-2008, 03:30 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

In my experience..... I;ve found.
leave it stock as much as possible, with the exception of
saftey equipment, tires, brakes.

I'm happy with mine, as it is very reliable.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Have fun!!

Steven

Get notified of new replies

To C4 track car... a chance for a do-over!

Quick Reply: C4 track car... a chance for a do-over!