Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exciting news from Bowmanized and RacePak Data Systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Exciting news from Bowmanized and RacePak Data Systems

RacePak is going to be releasing a new proprietary data acq addon for the IQ3. It's basically a module that works with the IQ3 to get all the data from the Corvette computer. So rather than having to install a bunch of sensors all over the car, you simply plug in the module and it'll get all the information for you.

I'll have more details soon but it will encompass all the small stuff like RPM, Gear, 3 axis G meter,

Plus things like
YAW rates
Throttle position
and much much more without having to install sensors everywhere.

Very cool system

Price is $549 for the module.

I'll have a lot more details soon. For Corvettes year '2006 and up.

The first run will be a small volume so let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

Mike @ Bowmanized

Last edited by bowmanized; 07-29-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

The IQ3 dash represents an entirely new concept in data logging dashes. By placing the 32 channel data logger, 512 MB memory card, GPS board and 3 axis G meter inside the dash, every feature of the data system is now located in one central location.

And, when that 32 channel data logger is one of Racepak’s exclusive smart sensor type, that means that only one small cable will transmit the data from all the sensors to the rear of the dash.

So, for the customer, this means:
· No external data logger necessary
· No bulky, heavy sensor wiring harness
· No beacon transmitter or receiver necessary for lap time data
· No wheel speed sensor necessary. GPS provides speed and track mapping

The IQ3 offers features uniquely designed for a variety of motorsports:

Road Racing (auto/ bike) and Circle Track
GPS provides speed, lap time and lap number.
No beacon, receiver or wheel speed sensor required
512 MB of memory insures plenty of data storage for long runs with multiple sensors
Compact design for motorcycle use
Dash provides 24 sensor inputs on four different pages.
Dash includes programmable warnings, shift lights, gear indicator, predictive lap time, with remote mount programming button capability.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Won't work on a 2005?

Too bad...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wont work on C5's... too bad.. I can imagine there are literally dozens of us out there that would ****** these up like candy.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Here are the details...

Application: 2006 to present Corvette

Monitors: Engine RPM, Throttle Position, Throttle Pedal Position, Oil Temperature, Water Temperature, Transmission Temperature, Intake Temperature, Battery Volts, All 4 Wheel RPM’s, Yaw, Torque, Horsepower, Brake Pedal Position, Gear Position

Price: $549.00

Wow, this is really cool technology. Plug it in and go buddy.

YEAH!!! Finally a simple solution to data acq setup.

Last edited by bowmanized; 07-29-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by bowmanized
Here are the details...

Application: 1996 to present Corvette

Monitors: Engine RPM, Throttle Position, Throttle Pedal Position, Oil Temperature, Water Temperature, Transmission Temperature, Intake Temperature, Battery Volts, All 4 Wheel RPM’s, Yaw, Torque, Horsepower, Brake Pedal Position, Gear Position

Price: $499.00

Wow, this is really cool technology. Plug it in and go buddy.

YEAH!!! Finally a simple solution to data acq setup.

Hmmm.. and this module can work with other data aquisition systems?

RacePak is going to be releasing a new proprietary data acq addon for the IQ3. It's basically a module that works with the IQ3 to get all the data from the Corvette computer.
Ooops.. should have read it a little better.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RC45
Wont work on C5's... too bad.. I can imagine there are literally dozens of us out there that would ****** these up like candy.
I think it may actually. On the phone he said 06 but I just got the details and it's C5-C6 1996 and up.

I'll verify asap.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I was over there two weeks ago. RacePak is 5 minutes from my house.

The sales guy never mentioned anything like that.

So is it $1395+549?

Oli
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RC45
Hmmm.. and this module can work with other data aquisition systems?

Ooops.. should have read it a little better.
You mean RacePak systems? Maybe.

I doubt it would work on other non-racepak systems. The software is different.

I'll find out more info tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Systems like this tap off the same info that a scan tool would. So 96 and up makes perfect since to me, because that was the first year of OBD2. Cool stuff for sure!!!

Randy
Old 07-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Shame the thing didn't work on it's own without the IQ3.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Olitho
I was over there two weeks ago. RacePak is 5 minutes from my house.

The sales guy never mentioned anything like that.

So is it $1395+549?

Oli
Exactly,

They'll be ready to ship within two weeks. It's a small run and already two are sold.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Systems like this tap off the same info that a scan tool would. So 96 and up makes perfect since to me, because that was the first year of OBD2. Cool stuff for sure!!!

Randy
Yep, I'm 99% sure that's exactly how it works.

Plug in the module to the ODB2 port and the back of the IQ3 and all your data sensors are setup for you.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

This is a different system intended mainly for video overlay, but this is what ODB2 info from the computer looks like:

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/photop..._BW_14A_CW.wmv

This video is in no way connected to RacePak. It is just intended to show you one application of the data feed coming out of the computer.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

So let me understand this completely. I really like the tap into the OBD port, but you need a dash as well? Please say I don't need a dashboard, what am I going to do with that, lay it on the floor? That kind of defeats the ease of use part. I would rather use something like this to interface with it:
http://www.racepak.com/G2X.php

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-29-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Gary,

I believe the Corvette module will transmit data through the V-Net port by a single cable. The G2X Red does have V-Net. I'll confirm which Data systems will work with the module and report back within the next 3 hours.

I will also ensure the G2X will provide all of the data available. Like throttle position, Yaw etc.

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Can the G2X data that is accumulated be output into a .CSV file and overlaid with a video?

What's the analysis software look like with the G2X?

Get notified of new replies

To Exciting news from Bowmanized and RacePak Data Systems

Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Racepak DataLink Software

Regardless of which data recorder you will be using, or the type of racing you compete in, the information you collect will only be useful if it can be quickly and easily understood. For that reason the ultimate success of any data acquisition system lays squarely on the shoulders of the software.

Without question Racepak’s DataLink family of software programs are the finest available to motorsports. DataLink has earned the reputation of being easy to learn, user-friendly in terms of working within the programs, and above all, capable of quickly and clearly providing you with the information you need to achieve success. Topping this off is the proven reliability of DataLink.

Because of the importance of the software, Racepak/CSI made the commitment to design and write it’s own software in-house. The years we have devoted to this endeavor has proven worthwhile because today more racers rely on Racepak data recorders, and our DataLink software, than any other.

An enormous amount of thought and work has gone into designing the DataLink software. Writing software programs that are useful to racers, whether they are a drag racer, oval track racer, or road racer, as well as those gathering data not associated with a race vehicle, requires years of development. Through this process we have arrived at four levels of DataLink. Each level is designed to provide a variety of tools to satisfy the diverse requirements of all users, regardless of their type of racing. All four levels, along with a quick overview of their features, are shown below. Keep in mind that each successive level of DataLink contains the features of the level it supercedes, while adding other functions to increase it’s capabilities.

This screen view shown above is typical of the screen you will see when using the DataLink Data Analysis software. If you have spent any time using a computer you will already be familiar with many of DataLink’s Windows®-based navigational tools and the online help feature. Displaying additional channels or files, or maneuvering around the program, is simply a matter of point-and-click on the icons. An extensive easy-to-understand instruction manual, along with the online help, is included with all DataLink Data Analysis programs.

Before taking a look at the individual levels of DataLink, check out some features that are common to almost all levels.

Graphs: With the DataLink graphs you can quickly see what your car is doing. Clicking on a channel button allows you to illuminate the graph line for that respective function, and you can illuminate as many functions at once as you desire. The different colors of each graph line help you identify each function at a glance. Graphs can be expanded or compressed, or you can zoom in for a full screen view on any area of interest.

Numeric Values: When moving the vertical cursor bar across the graph the numeric values of each monitored function, at the cursor’s position, will be displayed alongside its channel button. These values are present whether the channel’s graph line is displayed or not.

Timeline: DataLink relates all functions to a timeline. This permits you to pinpoint exactly when an event took place. Each program version lets you establish a ‘zero’ or ‘start’ point for the timeline. For example, this zero point might be opening of the throttle, the first revolution of the driveshaft, or some other identifiable event. The graph screen contains a small window that displays the time, to the 1/1000th of a second, from the zero point to the cursor location. Simply place the cursor on any event you see, and you’ll instantly know when it occurred.

Overlay Files: All DataLink programs, except File Viewer, have the ability to overlay the graphs from multiple files. This gives you the ability to quickly compare any recording against another. Diagnosing the results of tuning changes or driving techniques becomes instantly obvious.

Searchable Database: DataLink Lite, Standard, and Pro each provide a unique and useful tool, a searchable database. This permits you to search and recall files based on known information. For example, you could ask the program to recall all files that contain information recorded when the temperature was between 85°F and 90°F, or runs from a specific track.

Oval Track and Road Race Features: DataLink users who need to compare laps will appreciate the comparative features that have been included. With this software you can do individual lap analysis, track segment analysis, track mapping, track sectioning and split beacon support, x-y plot capabilities, distance mode on X axis, and histogram support. You can create a track map of all circuits you run from the information you will generate.

Log Book: DataLink has more record keeping ability then a trailer full of notebooks. For starters you can keep track of run times, weather data, track information, or whatever information you care to note in the Comments section. The higher level programs contain detailed logging of engine, tune up, and conditions data. With DataLink Pro you can create your own customized log book pages and use the math functions to automatically perform tedious fuel system or segmented time calculations.

Downloading: There are currently two methods of transferring the recorded data from your onboard recorder to your PC. The standard method is with a serial cable that is connected between the recorder and the computer. The second method is via a data cartridge. With this method you use a cigarette pack-sized portable cartridge to transfer the data between the recorder and the PC, eliminating the need for the serial cable. Data Cartridges can transfer the data at a faster rate.

Video: Racepak offers you something no other company currently offers, the ability to integrate video into your data acquisition. With this option, which requires the use of the DataLink Pro software, you can input visual images right onto your DataLink screen for true ‘show-and-tell’ data acquisition. This system allows the use of a remote or onboard camera to capture video and incorporate it right alongside your other recorded data. The high speed video provides images beyond those visible to the human eye, and as already led to some exciting and unexpected discoveries. For technical and pricing information on the video system please contact the Racepak Technical Department.

THE FOUR LEVELS OF DATALINK SOFTWARE

DataLink File Viewer Software

File Viewer is an entry level program for use with V-Net V50 Playback / Download module systems only. It gives you the ability to upload data from your V50 system to your PC and view the data both numerically and graphically. It will also permit real time viewing on your PC screen of up to ten channels of information being collected by your V-Net system on a dynamometer-style graph and gauge display. All functions being monitored by the V50 system can be graphed one at a time or simultaneously. Special channels are included to provide clutch and transmission slip curves when the appropriate sensors are installed in your onboard system. Only one file at a time may be viewed with the DataLink File Viewer program. The program also contains a generic racer’s run log.

DataLink Lite Software

This is the base program used with all Racepak data recorders. In addition to the real time and recorded functions provided by File Viewer you gain the ability to overlay multiple runs simultaneously on the computer screen. DataLink Lite provides an expanded logbook for monitoring your vehicle, run, and weather data. A typical downloaded DataLink Lite screen view (as shown above) contains three panels. The top panel contains the file tabs and channel buttons for selecting the functions you wish to display on the screen. Alongside each channel button there is a display of the numeric value of the channel coinciding with the screen cursor location. In the center panel is the graph display. These graphs are displayed with a timeline across the bottom and the scale value along the left edge. The bottom panel contains the tabs to access other pages related to the file being displayed. You would use these tabs to access such items as the logbooks.

DataLink Standard Software

With this version of DataLink you gain access to all math channel support. The math channels provide the ability to create your own channels that display information derived from a combination of other collected data or known data. For example, you can create channels that display total wheel or driveshaft turns, shock rates data in inches per second, or, if you have a G-meter and a front wheel RPM sensor, you can integrate speed and distance traveled. The combinations of potential graphs are nearly endless.

DataLink Pro Software

The Pro version of DataLink adds full access to the Racer’s Logbook area of the software. The user can create custom run log pages including calculation spreadsheets, x-y plots, histograms, gauges, and much more. DataLink Pro is required when using data recorder equipped with GPS.

Minimum System Requirements: DataLink software is a graphics program. As such it requires a lot of computer speed and memory. We strongly recommend the following as minimum requirements for your computer when using the DataLink software.

200 MHZ (Pentium II) CPU.
200 MB of available hard drive space.
64 MB of RAM
CD/ROM drive
3.5 inch floppy drive if running Windows® 98.
One available RS-232 serial port or USB to serial adapter for connection to PC or laptop.
Monitor and video card capable of displaying 1024 x 768 pixel resolution.
Windows® 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista (32 bit version) or NT operating system.
Data cartridge download -- Windows® 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista (32 bit version)
and one available USB port.

The purchase of a DataLink data analysis program includes a licensing agreement. All DataLink programs are licensed to the recorder on which they are to be used. They are not licensed to an individual, nor are they transferable between systems. Due to the customized nature of each software program for the recorder on which it is used it is highly suggested that when purchasing or selling a data recorder that the software be regarded as a component of that particular recorder.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:41 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Many customers may be unaware of the range of functions that can be monitored by data acquisition systems. The following list of commonly monitored items has been assembled to help you in selecting which functions you may wish to monitor with your own system.

Engine RPM
Clutch (Transmission Input Shaft) RPM
Clutch Slip Ratio
Converter Slip Ratio
Driveline RPM
Output Shaft RPM
Ring Gear RPM
Front Wheel RPM
Prop Shaft RPM
Turbine N1 RPM
Turbine N2 RPM
Ignition Timing, Individual Cylinder
Ignition Timing, Overall
Boost Pressure
Brake Pressure
Carburetor Fuel Pressure
Fuel Pump Pressure
Nozzle Pressure
Slide Valve Pressure
Nitrous Bottle Pressure
Nitrous Fuel Pressure
CO2 Bottle Pressure
Engine Oil Pressure
Transmission Oil Pressure
Turbo Back Pressure
Air Box Pressure
Pressure Differential (Aero)
Wheelie Bar Pressure
Manifold Vacuum
Pan Vacuum
Air Temperature
Cylinder Head Temperature
Exhaust Gas Temperature
Intake Manifold Temperature Intercooler Temperature (In)
Intercooler Temperature (Out)
Rear End Oil Temperature
Tire Temperature
Track Temperature
Transmission Oil Temperature
Water Temperature
Infrared Temperature (Non-Contact Temp)
Battery Voltage
Voltage Input
Voltage Differential
Voltage Event
Air/Fuel Ratio (Gasoline)
Air/Fuel Ratio (Alcohol)
Fuel Flow
Return Fuel Flow
Trans Brake Event
Clutch Two Step Event
Wide Open Throttle Event
Throttle Position (Rotary)
Throttle Position (Linear)
Top Dead Center Position
Clutch Bearing Position
Shock Travel Position
Ride Height
Steering Position
Rudder Position
Acceleration G-force
Lateral G-force
Lap Times
Segment Times
Mile Per Hour
Distance Traveled
GPS

Wow, possible to log tire temperatures. Watch as the G's vs Yaw vs Tire Temps would be amazing.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

They are in the testing phase of a Vnet module to interface with the chase cam so when you start data logging it starts the chase cam recording. It makes it easier to use the TrackVision software and sync the video with the data.

Quick Reply: Exciting news from Bowmanized and RacePak Data Systems