Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back to Novice

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default back to Novice

I recently had shoulder surgery, and it's really been interfering with my life. The recovery is real tough. I'm sitting around doing nothing all day. I sit in the garage looking at my tool box, and looking at my c4. Have some complications from the surgery, which hopefully will clear up in time.

I've been driving left handed since the surgery, and only recently have started using my right hand on the steering wheel. Actually I can drive Phenomenally with just my left hand. Exit ramps at speed, no problem. It's amazing how one learns to compensate with the other arm when disabled, or even partial disabled. Now my right arm is slowly coming back to life. My range of motion is coming back. My strenght is slowly coming back. and I'm feeling good enough to start doing some things.

So this weekend I'm going out as a novice. Taking a daily driver to the new NJ lightening track. Don't have to worry about shifting, I'll leave it in drive. It's a new track for everyone, so no one is pounding the asphalt anyway. Street tires, street brakes, And I'll mosey around the track with the novices. It'll give me a chance to learn the track real well, and I'll enjoy getting out. Rather than speed, I'll just learn & drive the line.

All I'm taking is a helmet, and a tire guage. no trailering, no dragging tools around. no loading and unloading hassles. Just a nice relaxing cruise. It should work out well.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you have a great day! Glad you're motivated to get back on the track.
Good luck on your recovery.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I broke my wrist two years ago dirt biking and when the registrar for the next event I'd signed up for read about it on the internet, he called me to discuss me dropping out of the event...

Mike
Old 07-29-2008, 06:52 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I told them straight out the entire story.
I have 70 track days, however ..................

I can always move up a group, pack up and go home, sit out a session.
after 70 days, running the novice group will be like driving down the hiway at 55.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get well soon Larry! Now I have a chance to whoop ya with one arm down!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 AM
devil z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you running with the porsche club if so i will be there in the yellow zo6 with the number 666 if you need any help just look for me and i will be glad to help out a vette guy
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoulder surgery is a PITA. I've had both of mine fixed now (labral tear, arch decompression, both shoulders). And a tendon repair in my right forearm. It will get better. How long ago was the surgery? Be prepared to be pretty sore in the upper body even if you were feeling mostly back to normal. Ice is your friend.

Have fun out there!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have fun and have some patience with the newbies. Too many violent sports in our youth have caused us all issues. Wasn't Mickey
Mantle that said "if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself"? There are days my knee wishes I had an auto or dog ring box.

Get notified of new replies

To back to Novice

Quick Reply: back to Novice