Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Default HPDE Insurance

I know this comes up a lot, but wanted to pass along some info I just got. Motorsportsreg.com, the registration body behind some of the clubs I run with, is now offering HPDE insurance. It's not cheap, although it's not unreasonable either.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c.../hpdeinsurance

They may offer coverage for other clubs as well, but for me, it's specifically for THSCC/TZC, which runs events at VIR, CMP, Roebling and Rockingham.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

5% or 1,000 deductable better than most I think for the rates they charge.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got insurance through WSIB, which is based out of Michigan. They covered me for 10 HPDE events for $1000, which includes a $2500 deductible. I have almost 300 racing miles in 4 events, so it's been worth it my opinion. I should get in a couple hundred more before the end of the year, so I'm looking at ~$2/mile for peace of mind.

This fee covers Auto/X as well, but I can't imagine too many people crashing in one of these. They'll also cover drag racing.

They also cover for full blown racers, but you'll pay more.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good info David!

I couldn't find the small print, but be careful as most HPDE insurance I've seen restricts the use of any timing, whether it's a track AMB system of simple data logger. Some companies know to look for transponders. They consider this racing.

Mike
Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drug Delivery
I got insurance through WSIB, which is based out of Michigan. They covered me for 10 HPDE events for $1000, which includes a $2500 deductible.
Did you get insurance directly through WSIB, or through another broker? Can you give us more details as to what the max. insured value was? Did WSIB go through Lloyds?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Originally Posted by AutobahnRacer
Did you get insurance directly through WSIB, or through another broker? Can you give us more details as to what the max. insured value was? Did WSIB go through Lloyds?
I insured the car for $30,000, which was the value at the time. The deductible is based on a percentage value of the car, something like 4%, with a minimum of $2500. There was a $150 processing fee.

They do have restrictions as to timed events, as well as what type of damage will be covered. If you blow up your engine they won't cover it, unless it happened as a result of a crash. The fine print gets a little convoluted with this type of language.

As far as I can tell I worked directly with WSIB, but I'm not sure who their underwriter(s) are.

They had to contact each of the groups that were sponsoring the events I said I would be attending that year to be sure they were "qualified". I imagine they checked on whether or not they issue waivers and if they have insurance for the event itself. This can make it hard if you don't know which events your going to, which means you'll have to clear it with them before you go, if it wasn't on your list at the time of the quote.

In all, WSIB was easy to work with. Zero hassle and cheap IMO.

By the way, I was in Naperville a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice town to be in after detouring through Gary Indiana. The highlight of the weekend was some Toyota Prius kept trying to race me on the street. He had a bunch of chics with him so maybe he was showing off his green technology.

Last edited by Drug Delivery; 07-29-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

As I read their coverage, it looks like they cannot offer insurance in NC yet, but they are working on it. That only affects the rovals in NC, cause that's all we got unless they decide to finish High Rock. Looks like it will also cover PCA events as they use the same registrant.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not endorseing the product, and I'm sure Mike's right about timing equipment, but this is certainly cheaper than race-car insurance.

Anyway, THSCC put's on some of the smoothest events I run, and this makes them even more attractive to anyone interested in having some extra protection.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:43 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Good info David!

I couldn't find the small print, but be careful as most HPDE insurance I've seen restricts the use of any timing, whether it's a track AMB system of simple data logger. Some companies know to look for transponders. They consider this racing.

Mike
So this makes collecting even engine telemetry data a possible reason claim denial?

is right.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RC45
So this makes collecting even engine telemetry data a possible reason claim denial?

is right.

I wouldn't think so. If that were true then they probably would not allow camcorders either since you could technically time yourself that way.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I wouldn't think so. If that were true then they probably would not allow camcorders either since you could technically time yourself that way.
This is true.

I just an interesting conversation with an agent that offered a very attractive policy/package, and he specifically said the policy does NOT exclude coverage for transponders or telemetry - the rider is whether the event organizors place you at the end of the event.

If they do, you need club race insurance, if they don't the HPDE coverage is appropriate.

I sent off the application and when I hear back, if it is reaonable and appropriate, I will post the brokers info hear so more folks can get reasoble HPDE insurance.

Paul
Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I sent off the application and when I hear back, if it is reaonable and appropriate, I will post the brokers info hear so more folks can get reasoble HPDE insurance.

Paul
Please do. I sent an e-mail to WSIB today and will do the same.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

is right.
I've seen many policy's and each one has different stipulations.

What David Farmer has pointed out here is interesting because normally the insurers want a minimum number of events in order to get a higher initial premium.

The key is the small print and more-so interpreting it.

Keep in mind an insurance company will do whatever it can to deny coverage.

Mike
Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I would assume they'll get NC added, and who knows, the fact that there ARE only rovals might be the reason.

I meant to follow up that many BMWCCA and PCA regions also fall under this registry system.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE Insurance

Quick Reply: HPDE Insurance