Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for feedback on Chin Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:48 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for feedback on Chin Motorsports

They are running a couple events I am interested in and wanted to get any feedback on how they run. I pulled this off their website...

Dual Groups: Two run groups are designated.
Group One includes entry-level novice drivers (instructor required), along with intermediate solo drivers (less than 15 solo events, or first visit to a track). Passing is permitted on straightaways only, with a point-by signal. NO PASSING without a signal, NO PASSING in turns.

Group Two includes advanced solo drivers, and instructors. Passing is permitted anywhere, with a point-by passing signal. NO PASSING without a signal.

The two groups alternate long, open track sessions, usually 55 minutes in length. This gives drivers freedom to choose when to go out, and promotes low traffic. The full schedule offers about 3.5 hours available track time daily, for each group

So, I read the above correctly, a run group runs for about an hour every other hour, so if they start at 9am, stop by 5pm and take an hour break, that is about (4) 55 minute sessions?

They are slightly more expensive and require a membership, so the events will wind up costing more than say an already expensive PDA type event, but if the above is TRUE and you get approx 3.6 hours of track time vs the standard (4) 20 minute session that equals 1.2 hours of tracktime, that is a nice track day.

Can anyone confirm and provide feedback on how they run?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chin is the only organization i drive with, mainly because the do Sebring so much and its relatively close. Their formats are great and you really do get more track time than you will utilize. They do go with four 55 minute run sessions per group, usually starting around 815 or 830 until 5 with an hour for lunch.

They are more expensive, but the extra money for what you get is completely worth it. I believe its only $50 annually to join?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

IMHO - Chin Motorsports is one of the BEST clubs to do an HPDE with. Quality, safe organization that allows the Advanced Group to pass anywhere with a point-by! Always a fun event at VIR with their team. You pay a little more, but you get much more track time. Mike
Old 07-30-2008, 05:24 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Top notch.

I've never done the dual run group days, I've only done the days where they do 3 groups; Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. When they do a two day event - like Watkins Glen, for instance - On the second day you can move up or down a group. So if you're in the Int group, you could literally stay out on the track ALL DAY LONG.

Just a great group of people that know how to run excellent, safe, fun trackdays.

I wish they did more days up here in the North East; They are worth every penny.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:44 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys, great feedback! Is anyone familiar with their student sign off policy? I was thinking about signing up as an instructor, and as much as I have found this to be rewarding, I can't see sitting in a student's car for 3.5 hours. Some clubs don't sign off Novice students at all and some allow sign offs if the student shows the proper competency. If the former is the policy, I would probably just sign up as an advanced student
Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Thanks guys, great feedback! Is anyone familiar with their student sign off policy? I was thinking about signing up as an instructor, and as much as I have found this to be rewarding, I can't see sitting in a student's car for 3.5 hours. Some clubs don't sign off Novice students at all and some allow sign offs if the student shows the proper competency. If the former is the policy, I would probably just sign up as an advanced student

I instructed with them at their recent VIR event and was very impressed with them. Their instructors seem to be very conscientious. They allowed solo sign-offs and they have enough room in their run groups to allow students to be moved up or down a group as required.

A “master instructor” gave students being signed off or advanced a group check rides. If the master instructor felt the student wasn’t ready the reasons were explained to both the student and the student’s original instructor.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Simply put, One of the best track clubs out there!!!! We run with them at Mid Ohio every year and look forward to it. Like they say, More tracks more time. I wish they would run up at Road America.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Give Mark Hicks a call, nice guy, I think you will really enjoy running with them. If you decide to instruct? they only give you one student each day. Great club and lots of track time. Give me a PM if you would like more info. JD
Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

DITTOS,

They are top notch. We ran with them at Sebring doing tire testing and I can't say enough good things about them.

Have fun.

Lou G

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

I've run with Chin at Roebling 3 times over the last 2 years, March and November, if I remember right they usually run 3 groups at Roebling (check the event your going to for details) the first day and then when things thin out a little sunday they go to two groups or open to everyone, groups runing with the novice groups pass just on the straights. Well run organization, plenty of run time, looking to go to New Jersey Motorsports park, Road Atlanta and Back to Roebling this fall.

Last edited by 05C6GAC; 07-30-2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chin is a great group!
Literally, more track time than you can use.

All the events I've run with them have been at VIR and my schedule in blue group has been something like:
8:30-9am open warm-up session
9:30-10 1st Blue session
11:00-11:30 2nd Blue session
1:30-2pm 3rd Blue session
3:00-3:30 4th Blue session
4:00-5:30 90 minute Open session (Blue passing rules)

Often on the second day they often do "blended run groups" where you can also go on track in other run groups if you're signed off for them.

For me the limited run groups, open sessions and blended run groups allow track time that's unequaled by other groups.

You'll probably find that driver fatigue is the limiting factor. Most people pack up and leave early on two day events; leaving a LOT of open track time for those who stick around.

What other group gives you 4+ HOURS of track time a day?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by linutux
Chin is a great group!
Literally, more track time than you can use.

What other group gives you 4+ HOURS of track time a day?
Well if you can get to South Florida Safe Motorsports (Runs at Sebring, Moroso, and Homestead) will give you about 6 hours.
The field is broken up into two run groups. One group gets the first 40 minute session, the other gets the second session. Then it is open to everyone. No more sessions, the track is open!!!

Is there a down side, kind of, solo privileges are given out very liberally.
So you may be out on the track with some less that experienced drivers.

I also run with Chin and NASA, and prefer Chin and feel you get more track time with them. Down side if you run intermediate solo you run with
beginners with instructors, which can cause some distractions, and slow your lap times.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Chin is a great club to run with. Safe, fast, customer oriented and well organized.

They make it a point to have checkrides for signoffs - but a lot of clubs are doing that now.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Matt,

I agree with everyone here, CHIN gives alot of track time and holds great events.

They usually even provide breakfast!

However regarding your question on instructing, I was required to have an instructor last year at Watkins because even though I signed up as Intermediate, it was my first time at Watkins. We were there for 2 days and for some reason they wouldn't sign off on me for solo. It was the same way for one of the guys we went with.

I don't claim to be the best driver out there but they were pretty conservative in letting some of us go from instructed to solo. From an instructor's point of view, thats a lot of time in the car (both yours and the students).
Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
Matt,

I agree with everyone here, CHIN gives alot of track time and holds great events.

They usually even provide breakfast!

However regarding your question on instructing, I was required to have an instructor last year at Watkins because even though I signed up as Intermediate, it was my first time at Watkins. We were there for 2 days and for some reason they wouldn't sign off on me for solo. It was the same way for one of the guys we went with.

I don't claim to be the best driver out there but they were pretty conservative in letting some of us go from instructed to solo. From an instructor's point of view, thats a lot of time in the car (both yours and the students).

That's because I slipped $100 into your instructors pocket and told him, "Stay in the car both days, and keep saying 'BRAKE' " - Sorry, it was the only way I could get around you.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo50mike
That's because I slipped $100 into your instructors pocket and told him, "Stay in the car both days, and keep saying 'BRAKE' " - Sorry, it was the only way I could get around you.
Maybe you should bring out that Orange thing and see what happens.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
Maybe you should bring out that Orange thing and see what happens.
I think we found out the other night what happens to other cars when my 'orange thing' comes out....

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for feedback on Chin Motorsports

Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo50mike
I think we found out the other night what happens to other cars when my 'orange thing' comes out....
Uh Oh! That doesn't look good. Is there a tree involved?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 AM
jlucas
Racer

Chin is the best. In fact it's the only HPDE group I'll run with anymore when not doing race weekends.

Lots & lots of track time!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Gatorac
Pro

I run with Chin all the time. Lots of track time and the open passing makes for less parade laps.

Don't expect to be sitting in your students car for a full 3.5 hours in the dual groups format. Typically you'll have your student out for 20-30 minutes each session max.

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback on Chin Motorsports