Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower A-arm bushings. Why are they doing this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:42 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Lower A-arm bushings. Why are they doing this...

Please educate me. Both sides - on the front only.

Stock 2003 ZO6.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

looks like the one slipped over to the side some?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:38 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It appears you have too much load going into the bushing. So it pushes out of its "groove". At this point you have three options. First replace with a stock bushing and go slower. Second, get some good aftermarket poly bushing (which I sell ) and drive as hard as you have been. Third spend some more cash and be pretty trick with monoballs (which I sell ) and go faster then before!!!

Randy
Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

This happened on my 97. It looks like you caught it early. The control arms will continue to push back on the bushings until they come in contact with the cradle. You can prevent the metal to metal contact by putting in some large washers but your wheel alignment will be off. They found the problem on my 97 when I had the dealer do a wheel alignment and they couldn't get the caster setting. Requires new control arms or replacing the bushings with poly bushings.

Bill
Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
It appears you have too much load going into the bushing. So it pushes out of its "groove". At this point you have three options. First replace with a stock bushing and go slower. Second, get some good aftermarket poly bushing (which I sell ) and drive as hard as you have been. Third spend some more cash and be pretty trick with monoballs (which I sell ) and go faster then before!!!

Randy
Aw hell. I guess I need to retire for the season after Road ATL next weekend. Never heard of a monoball . I'll be in touch soon.

Thanks Bill for the advice too. Think it will be OK for 4 more track days?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Meant to ask. What exactly is causing this -hard braking? Is this a common issue with these cars?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sperkins
Meant to ask. What exactly is causing this -hard braking? Is this a common issue with these cars?
That one looks like a heavy braking, bushing puller. But if it didn't happen to that bushing, it would have done a different one. Yes it is a pretty common problem.

Monoball suspension are the cream of the crop. Real racecar stuff. I don't know if you are this level yet. Maybe I was trying for a late night plug

Randy
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Monoball suspension are the cream of the crop. Real racecar stuff. I don't know if you are this level yet. Maybe I was trying for a late night plug
Yeah I think the poly's are more my speed at this point.

PM sent.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:22 AM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, I'm already running poly-urethane bushings and it's still happening to me. Please note that my poly urethane bushings are not DRM's brand. I'm considering moving up to the hardcore monoball stuff but I'm hesitant because although not often, I still occassionaly like to drive my car on the street on corvette gatherings. Any suggestions Randy?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:13 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That one looks like a heavy braking, bushing puller. But if it didn't happen to that bushing, it would have done a different one. Yes it is a pretty common problem.

Randy
nice! can you buys these and install them yourself? or do you need to buy them installed in the a arm already?

i bet you could get away with just doing the front lower bushings to save $ or not?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an extra set of front and rear lower control arms with poly bushings installed. $350 plus shipping and paypal if you want them.

Dog
Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I use VBP bushings in the white FRC - solved the problem....
Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VBP bushings cannot do this period the way they are designed. Sperkins, this is a common stock lower bushing issue. Autocross cars seem to do this earlier than roadcourse cars.

You can run the rest of the season ike this if you would like. You may have the car realigned. When the bushings do this you are losing caster and the front toe is changing.

If your car is a mid-03 or later (12/02 production date or later) your car has the later updated bushings that will still "creep", but they will finally settle.....still not ideal, but better than previous. Previous to the 12/02 production date they will creep all the way until the lower control arm front bore galls into your subfame.

It looks like you still have some time before this happens....Fix it over the winter. Oh...your in Georgia, you dont have a winter....Fix it during your off season.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
VBP bushings cannot do this period the way they are designed. Sperkins, this is a common stock lower bushing issue. Autocross cars seem to do this earlier than roadcourse cars.

You can run the rest of the season ike this if you would like. You may have the car realigned. When the bushings do this you are losing caster and the front toe is changing.

If your car is a mid-03 or later (12/02 production date or later) your car has the later updated bushings that will still "creep", but they will finally settle.....still not ideal, but better than previous. Previous to the 12/02 production date they will creep all the way until the lower control arm front bore galls into your subfame.

It looks like you still have some time before this happens....Fix it over the winter. Oh...your in Georgia, you dont have a winter....Fix it during your off season.

we do not have an off season either - at some point my cash well does run dry though....
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

1stZ,
You can still drive them on the street, but they are kinda loud and don't give a nice ride. But a little here and there shouldn't be bad.

rustyguns, The front and rear lowers are the biggest improvements. Yes you can just do some of them for a savings. I think I heard you say about a week ago. "it's only money" We have to install them here at our shop. The stock holes are all over the place if you start measuring. We can either install them in new control arms or yours.

Thanks Danny, I didn't know when the cut off was. I knew they made a change for the better at some point.

Randy
Old 08-01-2008, 10:20 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Thanks Danny, I didn't know when the cut off was. I knew they made a change for the better at some point

Randy , to the best of my knowledge this is when the bushing update occurred. It was somewhere around 11-12/02 production. I use the 12/02 production as I know for sure since my '03 Z06 that I autox has that production date...

Unfortunealty this also also when they went to the FFS fuel system, which I could have done without..........
Old 08-01-2008, 11:30 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER

Randy , to the best of my knowledge this is when the bushing update occurred. It was somewhere around 11-12/02 production. I use the 12/02 production as I know for sure since my '03 Z06 that I autox has that production date...

Unfortunealty this also also when they went to the FFS fuel system, which I could have done without..........
Danny ... I've got a 12/02 build '03 with FFS ... can I assume I have the *improved* bushings?

Get notified of new replies

To Lower A-arm bushings. Why are they doing this...

Old 08-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Is it possible to use a press and pop them out and reverse them. That way the big edge is protecting you from the metal?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Is it possible to use a press and pop them out and reverse them. That way the big edge is protecting you from the metal?
I guess that it is possible, I sometimes band-aid the forward bushing by removing the small washer from the rear side and replace it with a larger one so that the control arm can only "creep" to the washer. This prevents the control arm from galling into the subframe. Problem is with these bushings that the whole bushing including the washers is installed into the control arm as a complete unit, therefore one washer has to be smaller than the bore in the control arm. I have large supplies of control arms and washers (from all of the crept bushings and poly installs) so I have alot of the larger sized washers to do this with....

The real fix is replacing with poly or monoballs. The SCCA Super Stock guys are not allowed this mod though.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:57 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Danny ... I've got a 12/02 build '03 with FFS ... can I assume I have the *improved* bushings?
Yes you can assume that.....The easiest way to tell is the rear most bushing has a steel washer bonded into the rearmost part of the bushing. it is not visible, but you can feel it if you press on it with a finder or implement....

This does not prevent the lower bushings from "creeping", and resultant alignment change, but it will "creep" and settle without galling into the subframe typically...

The forward bushing was not changed at all only the rears....You should still keep an eye on them..

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 08-01-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Lower A-arm bushings. Why are they doing this...