Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portland International - Rebuilt - Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Portland International - Rebuilt - Video

I ran with the Oregon Porsche Club at their HPDE this Tuesday and thought I'd share what the newly rebuilt Portland International track looks like. Any thoughts on a better line through turn 7 will be appreciated. Any thoughts on my videographic skills will be ignored.

Last edited by Last C5; 08-02-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 AM
ccj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the new config. with OR PCA in June. But I'm not sure that I nailed T7 correctly either. I felt that staying in the middle seemed faster, rather than continuing out to the left as it just keeps getting wider and wider wider.

LastC5: What did you do with your exhaust? Your car sounds great!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ccj
I ran the new config. with OR PCA in June. But I'm not sure that I nailed T7 correctly either. I felt that staying in the middle seemed faster, rather than continuing out to the left as it just keeps getting wider and wider wider.

LastC5: What did you do with your exhaust? Your car sounds great!
The exhaust is Dynomax Headers with Cats, X pipe, and a Borla quad Stinger cat back. It's measured at 96 db so I'll have to quiet it down for Mondays at Portland.

I think your right about T7, clear out to the left doen't seem to get me anything.

Last edited by Last C5; 08-02-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:11 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Last C5
The exhaust is Dynomax Headers with Cats and a Borla quad Stinger cat back. It's measured at 96 db so I'll have to quiet it down for Mondays at Portland.

I think your right about T7, clear out to the left doen't seem to get me anything.
Stay in the middle, brake early, on the gas, kiss the curb, let the car drift out to the left curb, pedal to the metal.

Works for me!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
Stay in the middle, brake early, on the gas, kiss the curb, let the car drift out to the left curb, pedal to the metal.

Works for me!
Right in the very middle?? I was working with about two car widths off the left edge. Brake early - so you're making it so you can get the car turned earlier, back on the gas harder and earlier, giving you more overall speed down the back straight if I'm getting this right? Sounds like a plan, are you running Monday?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Last C5
Right in the very middle?? I was working with about two car widths off the left edge. Brake early - so you're making it so you can get the car turned earlier, back on the gas harder and earlier, giving you more overall speed down the back straight if I'm getting this right? Sounds like a plan, are you running Monday?
I did run Monday!

I was really amazed at how wide people were taking turn 7. I stayed in the middle and felt very comfortable there.

I made a short "straight" between 6 and 7 so I had to really break hard to make the turn at 7, but I had no problem hitting 130 + on the back straight (when I had the space .)

It was a great day!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Todd,

We were looking for you in the pits to see the "New" car. Doug and I went to different points around turn 7 and watched form the fence to see what line was being taken. You must have been close to the pavement seam when you turned?

We're coming out again for the BMW club at the end of the month.and will try your suggestion.

Ahhh, I don't like that phrase of "coming out" has bad connotations :o)
Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
Todd,

We were looking for you in the pits to see the "New" car. Doug and I went to different points around turn 7 and watched form the fence to see what line was being taken. You must have been close to the pavement seam when you turned?

We're coming out again for the BMW club at the end of the month.and will try your suggestion.

Ahhh, I don't like that phrase of "coming out" has bad connotations :o)
Sorry we missed each other, Ed!

We ran last Wednesday with Team Continental. Our instructor, Jon Wilson, showed us a different take on turn 7 which seemed to work well for me yesterday.

I was running the silver C6 with my new vented hood.

I wasn't aware of the BMW event.

We will be out at PIR next friday with Cascade SCC.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
I did run Monday!

I was really amazed at how wide people were taking turn 7. I stayed in the middle and felt very comfortable there.

I made a short "straight" between 6 and 7 so I had to really break hard to make the turn at 7, but I had no problem hitting 130 + on the back straight (when I had the space .)

It was a great day!

OK, we got to see you then. You were the ONLY car taking the middle line, most of those guys were cutting the grass on the outside. I was listening to the exhausts at the exit of 7 and the shift points near the old Porsche hump and your line seemed to be working the best to me. It's not an obvious line, but I'm looking forward to trying it on the 25th, pray for sun.

Get notified of new replies

To Portland International - Rebuilt - Video

Quick Reply: Portland International - Rebuilt - Video