Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird brake pedal issue.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Weird brake pedal issue.

It was worse this weekend at Roebling than any other. As soon as my foot hits the brake pedal, there is immediate resistance like the pedal is sticking and then it pulsates for a brief instant like the ABS is kicking in. Once I jam the pedal a little harder it all goes away. What's the deal?

2003 C5Z.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:10 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warp rotors maybe? I had a similar symtoms & when I finally change my rotors, It went away. It could be something else, but rotors are my guess. ttt for you, good luck!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your rotors, see if one or more of them is cracked. I had the same thing happen to me at Lime Rock a week ago, and when I looked, all four rotors were cracked. Lesson -- Don't ever, ever, ever use cross drilled rotors on the track, especially with racing pads.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:48 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I just finished changing all the pads out tonight and checked the rotors closely. None showed any signs of cracking. I'm sure the problem is either in the pedal itself or in the hydraulics. It's difficult to explain, but it's almost like if you had a very light string tied around the pedal itself and when you hit the brakes you could feel it snap. It's pretty unnerving at 150mph. Luckily, it doesn't happen every lap.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be unnerving!

If your rotors are warped (often the fronts), when you hit the brakes really at any speed, the steering wheel will vibrate/chatter in your hand back and forth, you likely won't get feedback through the brake pedal at all for that. Easy to test that, just roll along (in the pit or a parking lot) and use the brakes, let go of the steering wheel, if the warping is bad it will visibly move back and forth. Most warping of rotors happens after you come in and the car is cooling down (at least that has been my experience).

If you crack a rotor, generally if the whole thing doesn't shatter, when you brake you will get a very significant thump thump thump thump as the crack runs past the caliper. You will feel that through the pedal and the car pretty easily, if that happens pit in ASAP.

What you are describing sounds like a sticking caliper or master/slave cylinder problem to me, but I am no expert ... Definitely get it checked out though. There is nothing worse than not having confidence in your brakes.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeFleischer

What you are describing sounds like a sticking caliper or master/slave cylinder problem to me, but I am no expert ... Definitely get it checked out though. There is nothing worse than not having confidence in your brakes.
That sounds more like it. I'm going to flush the fluid this week and see if it helps. I am not getting any warped rotor symptoms whatsoever.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird brake pedal issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird brake pedal issue.