Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic Trouble Code 16 at PCA Sebring DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diagnostic Trouble Code 16 at PCA Sebring DE

This weekend was my first time at Sebring. WOW! What a blast!! I was the lone C5 (Z06) with only one other Corvette (Z51 C6) in another run group. We had fewer than 10 cars in my run group and most of both days I had wide open track to myself.

The car and I made it out in one piece, which is better than at least one former BMW driver can say. On his very first run the poor guy went off in Turn 16, jerked it back and took a header into the wall. He was fine, but the car was toast. He said he's calling it quits and taking up golf. Too bad.

Now on to my problem. Turn 16 and DTC 16. What do these two have in common you ask? My third run on Saturday as I exited 16 I glanced in my rear view then glanced at my gauges. "Check Engine" was flashing so I pulled back into the paddock to check it out. During the drive back the light quit flashing and went out. I checked the code with my SCT handheld, it said "Code 16 - CLAS". The engine was running at normal temp, oil pressure was good, no knocks or pings, so I went back out the next session. Several laps in the light came on again at the exit of turn 16 and I pulled back in again just to be safe. This time the light stayed on. Same code. I had noticed that the nature of the surface at Sebring seemed to not agree with my "Active Handling" system, which I did have on since I was still learning the track. Something about turn 16 seemed to really upset it. The condition progressed on Sunday with the "Service Active Handling" and "Service ABS" lights coming on, and neither was working at that point, so I finished up the day on Sunday with no "training wheels".

I'm assuming DTC 16/CLAS is Active Handling/ABS related. The rear end was recently off the car (clutch/tranny) and I'm wondering if it's a loose or dirty sensor.

Anyone have a list of the C5 DTCs? Any thoughts on this? Anything I can check before having a professional look at it?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
wmk32
Instructor

No idea on the codes, but ouch on jerking back into that wall at 16,of course you see plenty of paint on that wall so he's not the first. There is plenty of grass to run off in there, shame.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

How did you get that code?? Reason I ask is that 2 digit codes went out with OBD-I, at least for the PCM.

Want to help, but confused.

Mike
Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Pulled the code with a SCT Excalibur hand held tuner. This is my first experience with a code w/ my C5. I was very accustomed to codes 33, 34 etc with my C4, assumed they were similar. There was some other letters and numbers there as well, but don't have it with me right now. The letters "CLAS" did show repeatedly. I'll pull the rest of the info when I get home. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Go up under the Other -> C5 Tech Tips pull-down, in there you'll find a method for pulling *all* of the codes from your C5 without having to resort to a scanner. Pull them (make sure to note whether they're H or C codes (History or Current, sometimes both are displayed), and let's see what you've got.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Diagnostic Trouble Code 16 at PCA Sebring DE

Quick Reply: Diagnostic Trouble Code 16 at PCA Sebring DE