Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your helment

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Check your helment

Everyonce and awhile I see something or hear about something that brings concern to me. So I share it with you guys and gals.

A good shop friend just came into the shop today, needed our press. Last week he rolled his vintage car. It was some good hard hits.

When it was all over, his helment was in his lap. My best guess would be the chin strap worked loose as the race went on. Just like seat belts. You need to make sure it's snug every once and awhile.

The old timer is doing great, for the crash he was lucky to walk away from.

Randy
Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Everyonce and awhile I see something or hear about something that brings concern to me. So I share it with you guys and gals.

A good shop friend just came into the shop today, needed our press. Last week he rolled his vintage car. It was some good hard hits.

When it was all over, his helment was in his lap. My best guess would be the chin strap worked loose as the race went on. Just like seat belts. You need to make sure it's snug every once and awhile.

The old timer is doing great, for the crash he was lucky to walk away from.

Randy
Excellent point Randy, glad to hear he was ok.

Aaron
Old 08-05-2008, 12:51 AM
RC45
Race Director

An old motorcycle helmet fitting trick is the snug the chin strap up , then try to pull the helmet forward over your head from the back. Correctly sized/fitted the helmet should be impossibe to remove in this way.

I have surprised quite a few car driving friends whose helmets were incorrectly sized and while they "felt" snug, they were not correctly fitted and could be pulled off by hand.

Correct fitting along with keeping the chin strap snugged down are essential.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my helmet fits so perfectly that i can wear it all day with the head sock on. then one day i was getting a seat fitted and other stuff and didn't have the head sock so used my "hoodie" which you would think isn't so much thicker, think medium weight sweatshirt. after only about 10m i started getting a headache and for future work that same day i had to limit myself to a few minutes at a time with the helmet on. i'm stunned that the fit could be that close.

i couldn't just have the hoodie "down" because it was interfering with the hans. which brings me to my question: shouldn't the hans prevent the helmet from leaving your head, even if the helmet fit isn't quite right?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:14 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now on the straights I will be:

1. Doing celebratory dances for staying on track
2. Checking gauges
3. Tightening shoulder belts
4. Watching rear view mirror
5. Tightening chinstrap
6. Getting ready to brake...

gee thanks randy....
Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by wallyman424

2. Checking gauges
5. Tightening chinstrap

gee thanks randy....
Gee Wally, are you feeling busy at the track? Think about how much workload a fighter pilot in combat has!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wallyman424

2. Checking gauges
5. Tightening chinstrap

gee thanks randy....
Just pull a spark plug wire off. That way you will have more time to do the to do list.

Randy
PS don't spend too much time on the mirrior that is what caught him out in the first place.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:17 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
my helmet fits so perfectly that i can wear it all day with the head sock on. then one day i was getting a seat fitted and other stuff and didn't have the head sock so used my "hoodie" which you would think isn't so much thicker, think medium weight sweatshirt. after only about 10m i started getting a headache and for future work that same day i had to limit myself to a few minutes at a time with the helmet on. i'm stunned that the fit could be that close.

i couldn't just have the hoodie "down" because it was interfering with the hans. which brings me to my question: shouldn't the hans prevent the helmet from leaving your head, even if the helmet fit isn't quite right?

I wouldn't count on the Hans keeping the helment on. During a crash, weird things can and will happen. Good fitting helment, and hans would be ideal.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Check your helment

Quick Reply: Check your helment