Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I log Oil Pressure (on track) ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How do I log Oil Pressure (on track) ??

Is anyone doing this already?

I was thinking about:

1) Tapping the signal wire of the stock oil pressure sensor, and running that into an analog input of a Traqmate / Race-Technology / HPtuners...

OR

2) Plumbing a new oil pressure sensor (like this) inline/with a T-fitting, either at the output of the engine to the cooler, or at the cooler... and into Traqmate...

Sampling rate should be plenty fast enough to catch the mometary/spike pressure losses that are considered to be the issue with the C6Z06's.

Will this work, or is my plan flawed?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you just need to know the peak pressure, what about an old school "tell tale" analogue guage with high and low pointer tell tale pointers?

If yo uwant to log the pressure an match to RPM's and track geography, then tapping into the oil pressure sensor and sending to TraqMate digital sensor would be a good way.

Last edited by RC45; 08-07-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

what about an old school "tell tale" analogue guage with high and low pointer tell tale pointers?
Supposedly, with the oil starvation problem in the C6Z06 dry sump system, pressure drops and returns to normal too fast for the dash gauges to respond... but motor scoring can occur in my time.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

I discussed this a little bit more in that thread in the Z06 section.

With my Traqmate unit and the Traqdata plug I currently only pick up 2 external inputs - RPM (into the RPM pickup on the plug) and Throttle Position (into one of the analog pickups).

I don't know why you couldn't just tap into a line from the stock oil pressure sensor and run it into an analog pickup on your Traqmate.

It will display on the Traqmate Display Unit (if you select to display inputs) and it will display on Traqview when you "replay your day". You can see on the screen shot of my Traqview below how the parameters you select are displayed on the graph across the bottom. You could have Oil Pressure displayed there to analyze if anything weird is going on at different RPMs, lateral G-loads, braking/acceleration, etc.

Bob

Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Thanks! Very good info.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:53 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume the C6 is the same as other gauges. 0 to 5 volts. Simply splice into the wire and run it to the data logger. I use the DL1 and this is the process I use on all of the sensors I log, some off my own sensors and others of stock sensors. You will need to program the data logger. Measure the volt output and read the dash output to create the graph and input the equation into the data logger. The new DL1 software allows you to input volt readings and the output readings, in this case oil pressure, and it will create the linear regression map. The old software you had to input the data graph equation. The excel program you could input the data on a graph and get the equation. You need the equation so the logger can convert volts to oil pressure. You can just log the volts and the graph will look the same.
either way should work fine.
MAC

Get notified of new replies

To How do I log Oil Pressure (on track) ??

Quick Reply: How do I log Oil Pressure (on track) ??