Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 C6 wheel bearings, when to change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:55 AM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 2006 C6 wheel bearings, when to change?

I do 6-7 hard lapping events a season, how often do you guys change wheel bearings? When they go out is it the typical squeel of a street car or during a hard corner can worse happen?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:35 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
I do 6-7 hard lapping events a season, how often do you guys change wheel bearings? When they go out is it the typical squeel of a street car or during a hard corner can worse happen?

Thanks in advance.
ehrn you tech your Vette before a race grab the top and bottom of the tire and see it it moves. that's when i change them
Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

If it moves, OR if you start having ABS/TC/AH issues related to the wheel speed sensors, you replace them. Sometimes they last for years, sometimes they last for minutes.....
Old 08-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
If it moves, OR if you start having ABS/TC/AH issues related to the wheel speed sensors, you replace them. Sometimes they last for years, sometimes they last for minutes.....

Doing 10 to 12 events a year running 315s on all corners the ones on my 03Z lasted for years. I am on my 5th season running the car. Last year I replaced the right front and left rear. This year I replaced the left front. Right rear is still the original bearing. I have known people who have had them fail in less than a season.

In the same time frame I have gone through 3 power steering pumps and one rack.

Bill
Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 AM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Appreciate the input all. I do check with a grab and push pull top and bottom of wheel. Sounds like usual symptoms should be watched out for and expect anything on wear.

Can they be adjusted once and a while by tightening, Ie main nut? Likely sealed, no maint bearings?

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 C6 wheel bearings, when to change?

Quick Reply: 2006 C6 wheel bearings, when to change?