Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM front brake duct install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:52 AM
JSTAN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default DRM front brake duct install

Hello

I got a set of front DRM brake ducts for XMAS and I am finally getting around to install them.

Does anyone have instructions they could email?

Email address: jaystan2000@yahoo.com

Thanks
Jason
Old 08-09-2008, 07:56 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You should have gotten a set of install instructions with the ducts. Randy frequests this forum a bunch. He can probably email them to you.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:00 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm on it in the AM. I will be at the shop about 9 MN time. If you need it sooner let me know, I can run back up to the shop.

Randy
Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I'm on it in the AM. I will be at the shop about 9 MN time. If you need it sooner let me know, I can run back up to the shop.

Randy

How about that for service!

Randy - please PM me a price for a set of these.
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2008, 01:18 AM
JSTAN
Burning Brakes

Randy
Thanks Randy....The AM will be fine.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
JaGsC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTAN
Hello

I got a set of front DRM brake ducts for XMAS and I am finally getting around to install them.

Does anyone have instructions they could email?

Email address: jaystan2000@yahoo.com

Thanks
Jason
The instructions that DRM sends with their ducts leaves alot to be desired. Just make sure that when you install the duct that you mount the duct as low and as far back as possible. In other words, have the duct outlet as close to the center of the wheel as possible. This will allow you the maximum room to keep your wheel from rubbing on the hose
Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Good advice ^^^^^
As I recall ...
Instructions on where to cut the stock ducts are good ... measure twice, cut once!
Think I had to slit either the DRM or the stock duct to slip one inside the other ... then I screwed them together from the bottom access area (limited room there).
I enlarged the openings with a sabre saw (Dremel would have been easier) ... working closer to the inside wall ... second hole was a lot easier than the first to get right the first time!
Do you have spindle mounts yet?
LGM and ECS make good ones ... install a little more involved than the Phoenix ones I used ... and push a bit more air too.
I ended up getting some 3 1/2" high temp silicone hose instead of using the black hose ... tho the black will work ....
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

Here's an example of them installed ...not my finest work

Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
JSTAN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Good advice ^^^^^
As I recall ...
Instructions on where to cut the stock ducts are good ... measure twice, cut once!
Think I had to slit either the DRM or the stock duct to slip one inside the other ... then I screwed them together from the bottom access area (limited room there).
I enlarged the openings with a sabre saw (Dremel would have been easier) ... working closer to the inside wall ... second hole was a lot easier than the first to get right the first time!
Do you have spindle mounts yet?
LGM and ECS make good ones ... install a little more involved than the Phoenix ones I used ... and push a bit more air too.
I ended up getting some 3 1/2" high temp silicone hose instead of using the black hose ... tho the black will work ....

I have the LG spindle dutcs, those were a piece of cake to install....these brake ducts are a royal pain in the A**......I spent 2 hrs on sunday trying to install the drivers side w/no luck.

If these ducts only had a slight bend to them where they mate up with the OEM duct, then the install would be easy.

I have cut the OEM duct per the specs of the install doc that DRM sent, but when I connect DRM duct to the OEM duct and try to attach the DRM duct to the frame of the car, the EOM duct disconnects from the front fascia of the car.

Anyone else have this problem, if so how did you resolve?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTAN
I have the LG spindle dutcs, those were a piece of cake to install....these brake ducts are a royal pain in the A**......I spent 2 hrs on sunday trying to install the drivers side w/no luck.

If these ducts only had a slight bend to them where they mate up with the OEM duct, then the install would be easy.

I have cut the OEM duct per the specs of the install doc that DRM sent, but when I connect DRM duct to the OEM duct and try to attach the DRM duct to the frame of the car, the EOM duct disconnects from the front fascia of the car.

Anyone else have this problem, if so how did you resolve?
Sometimes you have to lossen up the center connection(inbetween OEM and DRM) to get the assembly in the right place. When dealing with two different (fixed) locations it is best to work on the center position. Remember not to completely tighten down anything until all is in place.

I pmed my cell number incase you have anymore questions.

Randy
Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 AM
JSTAN
Burning Brakes

Sometimes you have to lossen up the center connection(inbetween OEM and DRM) to get the assembly in the right place. When dealing with two different (fixed) locations it is best to work on the center position. Remember not to completely tighten down anything until all is in place.

I pmed my cell number incase you have anymore questions.

Randy
Thanks Randy, I will definately give you a call.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I found my edited install instructions:
DRM C5 Brake Duct Kit
1.) Remove wheels and support vehicle securely.
2.) Remove ‘Close Out Panels’ (Aft of Spoiler on each side.)
3.) Remove O.E. Ducts from vehicle and trim both per enclosed illustration, (Note Right and Left Markings on O.E. and DRM Ducts.) Tip: Since I could not figure out how to twist the ducts and collapse them through the fender wall I took a PVC saw and sawed thru them inside the fender. Took about 2 minutes. Make sure you do it within about an inch of the fender. You will later have to cut them at 10 ½ inches, per illustration. 4.) Trim inner fender skirt duct hole back towards frame to allow DRM Duct to fit through. I took a piece of thin cardboard (from a 12-pack of beer) and made a template configured to the shape of the DRM duct I used that to mark the cut; My cut stayed about 3/8” from the frame rail. I used a scroll saw. 5.) Install modified O.E. Duct back in place while joining with DRM Duct and aligning the final fit. (Note for any possible interference and adjust accordingly. I made four cuts about 2” long as an “X” on the OEM duct, in order to slide it into the DRM extension. I trial fitted the pieces, then separated, fitted the OEM duct to the inlet, slid the DRM extension thru the hole, fitted and aligned so that there was compression tension on the OEM duct to hold it fixed to the inlet, held the DRM extension and did step 6 below. I then came back and fixed a screw from the bottom, to complete this step (DRM + O.E. Duct with 2 screws to prevent separation.)
6.) Drill small hole into frame corresponding with the outlet hole in duct.
7.) Install screw and washer to secure the brake duct into the vehicle. Best to use a nut driver for this hex head screw. 8.) Slip thread duct hose over DRM Duct (Place ABS Wires in center of hose) and secure snug with supplied hose clamp. Actually, just slit the opening at the rotor end and open the slit enough to slide the ABS connector thru the slit. Tip: unlock the steering wheel, turn the wheel all the way left, measure maximum extended length of duct hose; then turn all the way to the right, measure maximum compression length of duct hose. Fully compress the hose, measure, pull it out to extended length, ensure that it extends to maximum extended length. Then cut. 9.) Use supplied zip ties to pinch ends to aim toward rotor and avoid any wheel/suspension contact. I used Phoenix spindle mounts. 10) Replace ‘Close Out Panels’
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 AM
QuickCorvettes
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I want to say that the DRM kits are very high quality. I would also suggest getting Quantum spindle duct kits. They are about $50 for the mounting brackets. They are awesome. This will allow you to get the DRM kit in just the right spot. I will say however that Quantums service is not quite on par with DRM. I am a big fan of Randy and Doug. When I was new to Corvettes they gave me some great advice. The real solution for serious cooling is to buy both kits, combine and go fast.

QC
Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM
jdrake
Instructor

Originally Posted by QuickCorvettes
I want to say that the DRM kits are very high quality. I would also suggest getting Quantum spindle duct kits. They are about $50 for the mounting brackets. They are awesome. This will allow you to get the DRM kit in just the right spot. I will say however that Quantums service is not quite on par with DRM. I am a big fan of Randy and Doug. When I was new to Corvettes they gave me some great advice. The real solution for serious cooling is to buy both kits, combine and go fast.

QC
These are for C6's right? I have been told that if you go with aftermarket sways, like the Pfadt or LG Racing Sways, that the brake ducts get in the way and make the install very difficult without serious modifications. Is this correct?

Get notified of new replies

To DRM front brake duct install

Quick Reply: DRM front brake duct install