Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch on Trailer? Should I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Winch on Trailer? Should I get one?

Getting an Aluminum trailer and was wondering if I should put a winch on it? If so which one and how to install---hard wire or separate battery? Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I have always wanted to get a hand winch. like a heavy duty boat winch. never got around to it. I'm guessing a heavy duty boat winch would be capable of doing the job.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Having a separate battery would be easiest. That way you don't have to run extra cable up to the tow vehicle battery or use some type of isolator.

Harbor Freight has some winches that will pull 3000 lbs for under $100. They may not be the best in the world, but if you just have to use a winch one time to load a car, having it is worth a lot of money.

I working on fabricating a winch setup that uses a 2" trailer hitch mount welded to the trailer frame. I'll fab a bracket that slides into that with a pin to hold it and the winch will bolt to the bracket. That way, I can remove the hitch to keep it secure and out of the weather.

A deep-cycle battery in a marine battery box can be mounted to the traielr tongue or at the front for power. Use something like 6 gauge wire and a quick-connect fitting between the barttery and winch motor.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:39 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 best buys......
3000# winch with remote and mounting plate at Harbor Freight $115.

Black and Decker PowerMate $100, we use it as an auxilary battery and it has both 2 AC and 2 DC power outs to run accessories, stereo, coolers, lights, etc. plus air inflator. My wife uses it more than I do.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:22 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I would only use a winch if the car is disabled. That's why I'm leaning towards a manual winch....
Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

If you don't have a tow hook where should u hook the winch in a c6z (mostly street car) no body changes on car?

Are you guys using it for loading all the time or only when the car is disabled?

So if I get a powermate, I don't need the battery or the box? how often do they have to be charged?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Is this the powermate (they call it electromate)

"Electromate® 400 AC/DC Portable Power Station/Jump-Starter /Compressor
Model # VEC026BD
Powers and/or charges AC & DC appliances

450 amps instantly jump-starts without the need of another vehicle

Air compressor for vehicle tires and sports equipment

Built-in, ultra-bright LED work light for emergency roadside assistance

Exclusive, built-in 120 volt AC charger for use with ordinary household extension cord for recharging"
Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I bought a superwinch 5000 on that auction site that starts with an E. I ahd my neighbor weld it to a plate, drilled holes in the plate and trailer and mounted it. We did it that way so that its removable if need be. My truck has a heavy duty alternator, battery, and I have 20' cables. I 've only had to use it once so far, thank my lucky stars.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

when my car became "disabled" a buddy had a portable hand held winch that you use a tie down to connect to a tie down ring. It was nothing fancy, very slow and perhaps not the best quality but it pulled the car up into the trailer and I think he said it only cost $100 or something plus you didn't have to permanently mount.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a 18' open trailer with a 3000lb HF winch and separate battery. Had to use it for the first time two weeks ago at a NASA event. It made the process so much easier. Worth the $100 investiment.

BTW - My Ford RV and Pickup both have a wire labeled "battery charge" on the trailer wire harness. I don't know if this is really the case but I connected it to the battery positive terminal and it has been keeping the battery charged without boiling it over for two years. Granted, most of my trips are 2-3 hours so I may be getting lucky.....

John
Old 08-12-2008, 08:40 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

I stand corrected electromate not power mate, we use it constantly. It plugs into any extension cord and charges in an hour or two.

I load and unload with the winch, I've caused more damage to the body and side pipies having people direct me on the trailer than anywhere else and I can do it alone. We only have 3" clearance on either side.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

How does "hand winch" work? Is there a big crank or something?

What connections do you use w/ electromate to hook to the winch? any different prep required when planning to use electromate in regards to the winch install?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

I noticed that these "Warn" winches are much more expensive than the others, anyone know why? Anyone have one?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by urslooow
I noticed that these "Warn" winches are much more expensive than the others, anyone know why? Anyone have one?
I bought a used aluminum trailer a couple of years ago (Trailex trailer), and it came with a WARN winch on it. It is much higher capacity than the smaller winches discussed here, something like 8000# capacity. I have ended up using it twice, when a car broke down and wouldn't start (not the Vette). The big difference is capacity and ease of hauling. I connect it to a jumper box, not a battery, and it pulls cars up onto the trailer like they are nothing, no strain at all.

A friend of mine has that Habor Freight winch, the portable one that can attach to a trailer hitch. He permanently mounted it to his trailer with a plate and bolts. It works fine, but takes time (very slow) pulling a car up. But it does it. I question how durable it is over the long term, though that one pictured above, the open spool model, looks pretty heavy duty.

If I were using the winch all the time to take the car on and off the trailer like some folks I know, I would definitely go for the better winch, probably the best one I could find, like the WARN. To have something just in case of a breakdown, the Habor Freight one, or equivalent, is just fine.

And I would NOT use a hand winch like a boat winch, unless you like standing for half an hour cranking on the low gear to pull a car up. It's one thing hauling a boat onto a trailer when the boat is floating and the trailer is submerged. It's quite another to pull a car up ramps onto a trailer.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

The Harbor Freight is a "cheap" winch,if we get 2 seasons out of it we will be happy and it is slow....but so am I. As we leave the trailer out we also learned to spray it with a light oil, WD40 or equivalent to combat surface rust.
The Electromate comes with a "jumper cable plug" (pictured) that clips on the winch power leads.
Heavier cars may want to go to a bigger winch, we are under #2600.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by urslooow
probably Chinese crap also of a better grade.

Ramsey winches are made here and you can find deals on them way cheaper than listed.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-12-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:50 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
probably Chinese crap also of a better grade.

Ramsey winches are made here and you can find deals on them way cheaper than listed.
Pray tell where?

Get notified of new replies

To Winch on Trailer? Should I get one?

Quick Reply: Winch on Trailer? Should I get one?