Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Seat Install on a 2LZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6Z Seat Install on a 2LZ

Just wanted to post my results of my seat install on my 06 C6Z with side airbags (2LZ Option). I was holding back doing this because of all the electronic nannies and the implication of the airbag situation, but I finally came to the conclusion that I was safer in a race seat with the proper harness than the stock seat and a stock 3 point. This conclusion came to me when I was doing 150mph with windows open and realized that if I crashed or overturned this car, that with the looseness of the 3 point that I would most likely get ejected from the car and probably never see the benefit of the airbags, anyway...

So, I wanted to post my results for those with a C6Z or those looking to buy a C6Z that had concerns. I went with a Sparco Sprint seat, Sparco steel rails, Sparco base and slider (yes, I did go with the slider and actually like it very much, it is a very solid unit). I found everything used on the forum (love this place).

Since you loose the telescoping steering wheel, you need to get the steering wheel in a postion you like, then turn off the car WITHOUT pulling up the emergency brake. Disconnect the battery. Then remove the seat and disconnect the several electronic connectors. The rest is a typical seat installation.

Once everything was connected and adjusted properly, I reconnected the battery and took the car for a drive. There were no immediate issues, but I did get the airbag light.

My first track day at speed was Friday with TT4Cars. I still had the airbag light, but the steering wheel stayed in the position that I left it and I could adjust the seat to get in and out of the car since you loose the telescoping function to aid in getting out of the car. The GOOD news is that in no way did the computer effect the driving of the car. The car never went into any disabled mode or intervened with my driving in anyway at any speed. All went well and the car ran great.

You can buy the PDFAT adapter, but they claim it does nothing more than eliminate the air bag light, so to spend $100+ to eliminate a light is up to you. I did not do the passenger side, but I was told that the adapter does not work on that seat as the seat has a direct link with the PCM, so the adpater does NOTHING for you if you do both seats.

So, here are the pics, and I wanted to provide some feedback on the mystery of installing race seats on a 2LZ/3LZ car. It looks like it can be done with no impact to the driveability of the car.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Since you loose the telescoping steering wheel, you need to get the steering wheel in a postion you like, then turn off the car WITHOUT pulling up the emergency brake. ]
Actually Pfadt makes a harness that allows you to keep the telescoping steering wheel function. It works great and has allowed my wife and I to drive the car with minimal adjustment effort.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:04 AM
GotGIG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
Actually Pfadt makes a harness that allows you to keep the telescoping steering wheel function. It works great and has allowed my wife and I to drive the car with minimal adjustment effort.

That's right the Pfadt harness will restore the tele wheel. Your mileage may vary on the airbag light though, can't seem to get it to work on a couple different '07 Z06s, does apparently work on many '06 Z06s. Pfadt is working on it though.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Seat Install on a 2LZ

Quick Reply: C6Z Seat Install on a 2LZ