Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From a C6 to C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From a C6 to C5Z

Anyone made this transition and regret it? I know the c5z gets a lot of love as a track car so just curious to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Pros that i can see: More responsive steering, cheaper consumables, fixed roof hopefully provides better rollover protection, and oil/trans/etc coolers that are not on my non z-51 model c6.

Cons: Nothing comes to mind other than a couple year older car ( '03 vs '06 )

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:57 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I didn't "come from" a C6 so can't give you a comparo.
Point tho ... C5Z does not have oil or trans coolers.
Denny
Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

"cheaper consumables"?? How is it cheaper for a C5Z??
Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wmk32
Anyone made this transition and regret it? I know the c5z gets a lot of love as a track car so just curious to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Pros that i can see: More responsive steering, cheaper consumables, fixed roof hopefully provides better rollover protection, and oil/trans/etc coolers that are not on my non z-51 model c6.

Thoughts?
I think the main advantage over a non Z-51 C6 will be the suspension & stock tires if C6 is stock. The suspension will feel more "racy" stiffer. I'm not sure if the rollover protection is really better as on '03-04 a lot of people have trouble with helmet clearance--I suggest an '02. But '03-04 is same as C6 so it's a lateral move except for the targa.

Another thing though--less expensive car is less risk and should be cheaper to fix. I have seen wrecked ones restored here on the forum.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:00 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
I didn't "come from" a C6 so can't give you a comparo.
Point tho ... C5Z does not have oil or trans coolers.
Denny
I was unaware of that, thanks for the info.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:03 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
"cheaper consumables"?? How is it cheaper for a C5Z??
Only marginally - was just thinking of the more available tire sizes and misc parts. It's probably a negligible difference realistically.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:37 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On cheaper consumables -
Brakes: Pads marginal, rotors for a C5 can be had dirt cheap. I don't know that C6 rotors are down to the level of C5 rotors yet - maybe so.

Tires: Smaller size, more of them, cheaper variants.

Fuel: Marginal savings but there are still savings as the C5Z gets a little better MPG, and non-Z C5s get WAY better MPG.

Just my .02

But I'd still love to have a C6Z!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:36 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Sorry Chuck, but OEM-sized base C6 & all C5 pad and rotor fitments are the SAME.

Tires depend on wheel sizes used on-track, and there's no reason you can't locate the 'right' size wheels to accommodate cheaper tires on a C6 (why not C5 or C5Z wheels?).

SothPaw2 summarized the REAL, tangible differences perfectly in post #4.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 08-12-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
Sorry Chuck, but OEM-sized base C6 & all C5 pad and rotor fitments are the SAME.
SothPaw2
You can tell my brain's stuck on Z06 I was thinking Z pads/rotors not base - my bad...

Stock wheel/tire sizes are larger on all C6 aren't they, or are the base C6s the same size as C5Z?

I know I used to get Hoosiers for my C5 from Bob Woodman or Bob Chick for like $70 a piece but when I started pricing C6 stuff for others and looking for myself to evaluate, the lowest I could find was $125 for seriously used...

Thanks for giving me the skinny and settin' me straight!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:43 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

No biggie, Chuck-Man.

I just don't want the C6 to get a bad rap for being 'more expensive' to run on the track unless it truly deserves it. It gets enough grief around here for it's soft suspension and narrow stock wheels...

But, if tire cost & availability are the most important factors behind which DE wheels to use, then a C6 owner could always grab a set of 17's or 18's instead of using the OEM 18F/19R C6 wheels.

There are several inexpensive wheel options available that work quite well for DE on a C6, including 18x10.5 C5Z rears on all 4 corners. That'll let you run any number of 18-inch tires.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 08-13-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 AM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking over the same dilemma. I ran into a guy with a C6Z06 at VIR recently and he said that C6Z06 was almost too much for the track. He added that I'm much better off getting a C5Z and adding a handful of things, plus saving myself a ton of money.

Been debating on this for a couple of months now - and there are a lot of deals to be had out there on both C6 and C5Zs.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wmk32

Thoughts?
I tracked a 02 Z06 for several years with virtually no issues, I consider it to be a real value and formidable competition for other much more expensive cars I see at the track and hard to beat for the $$ spent.

I bought my C6Z in Nov. of 2005 and had it on the track in a matter of days discovering all the short comings from GM for the car to be "track ready" I was discouraged in needing to spend another 12k to make it dependable on the track although it was great after I got it to that point.

I recently purchased a 08 LS3 coupe and would tell you it's a much better value as a track car than a C6Z and after a handful of mods will outperform a new stock Z for considerably less money, not to mention the lack of oiling problems that I did experience in the C6Z.
It's also a lot more fun whipping A in a base coupe with some mods than a new Z06 and the 30 grand savings is nice as well.

If you want a upgrade from the C5Z, I would choose an 08 car as I have seen zero oiling issues on the track and the amount of power you can achieve with minimal mods is amazing.

Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss it further as I have
road raced pretty consistently for 15+ years and modified many Corvettes for the track.

Best Regards,
John Page
Twenty First Century Muscle Cars
972-417-7177
Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
I'm thinking over the same dilemma. I ran into a guy with a C6Z06 at VIR recently and he said that C6Z06 was almost too much for the track.
Really ? Isn't that like saying Pamela Anderson's ***** are too big ?

If we're talking a C6Z51 vs a C5Z06, the C5 will have a slight edge in performance. However, the brakes on the Z51 will be as good, maybe better with less fade (marginal). Tires for the C5 are more readily available from more manufacturers. I like the sitting position better in a C6 than the C5Z06. I like the clutch better in the C6 as well, seems lighter although not as linear as the C5. C5 feels like it has a slightly lower center of gravity, less roll on stock suspension.

If you're talking a plain wrapper C6, wouldn't you be better off with a Malibu or Camry ?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:51 AM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by klasik-69
Really ? Isn't that like saying Pamela Anderson's ***** are too big ?
But they are too big!!!

I keep leaning towards the C5Z06, for the money saved over a C6 you can get more done to it.

Get notified of new replies

To From a C6 to C5Z

Quick Reply: From a C6 to C5Z