Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIDEOS - Road America NCM Event 2008!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VIDEOS - Road America NCM Event 2008!

This video has two medium fast laps with a few passes around Road America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEdaOGDVMSA

Watching this now it is obvious I have a lot more work to do on my technique. Need to improve turn-in and hit the apexes more consistantly. Turn 7 is about the only one I get right each time.

With the Pfadt competition sway bars/poly bushings, Moton coil-overs and Hoosier R6 tires, the suspension was getting so over loaded the brake pads were getting knocked back by the rotors many places on the track even when I didn't hit the rumbles. I resorted to reaching over with my left foot to give the brake pedal three small pumps to push the pads back out of the calipers before T1, T3, T5, T6, T8, the "Kink", T12 and T14, while keeping the right foot to the floor! Kind of forces you to pay attention!

Andy Pilgrim did the same thing with the brakes for the three hot laps he drove while I watched from the right seat. Needless to say, his results were somewhat better than mine!

Dean
Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Was that red group? I took so much video I can't decide what and how much to upload.

My line looks better in my video then I felt it was in the car.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good Dean! Looking forward to the next time I can get some more seat time/instruction with you.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good Dean! Nice to meet you and stay in touch.

I'll have some pictures to post after I get back from Mosport ALMS race.

Aaron Quine
rasrboy@hotmail.com
330-573-4338 Cell
Old 08-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Road America ZR1 performance

Did anyone that tracked with the ZR1s at Road America have a chance to evaluate whether they suffered heat soak? For example, did they stay consistently faster up the main straight than C5 and C6 Z06s or did the naturally aspirated cars start to hang a little bit better after a few laps? Just curious.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Did anyone that tracked with the ZR1s at Road America have a chance to evaluate whether they suffered heat soak? For example, did they stay consistently faster up the main straight than C5 and C6 Z06s or did the naturally aspirated cars start to hang a little bit better after a few laps? Just curious.

Yes. There were some heat soak issues. GM is working on that. A extractor hood would work very well, but customers do not want an extractor hood. For 99.6% of the ZR1 customers, they will never experience any heat soak issues.

The C6Z had no problems hanging with the ZR1. Most do the ZR1s were not driven to their fullest out side the two in the instructor group.

It is difficult to compare a stock ZR1 to a ZO6 on Hoosiers with a race alignment and BBKs. I will say the MICH PSs on the ZR1 did EXTREMELY well for a street tire.

Think I had one ZR1 up to 152-155 on the front and 155-157 on Moran straight into T5 brake zone. and I will say for a STOCK set up, the ZR1 was very stable at speed.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Yes. There were some heat soak issues. GM is working on that. A extractor hood would work very well, but customers do not want an extractor hood. For 99.6% of the ZR1 customers, they will never experience any heat soak issues.

The C6Z had no problems hanging with the ZR1. Most do the ZR1s were not driven to their fullest out side the two in the instructor group.

It is difficult to compare a stock ZR1 to a ZO6 on Hoosiers with a race alignment and BBKs. I will say the MICH PSs on the ZR1 did EXTREMELY well for a street tire.

Think I had one ZR1 up to 152-155 on the front and 155-157 on Moran straight into T5 brake zone. and I will say for a STOCK set up, the ZR1 was very stable at speed.
Thanks for the honest assessment and congrats on the track experience with the ZR1. I would love to drive one of these beasts, but I'm not suprised to hear that there are some heat soak issues when tracked. It sure looked like heat soak in the Nurburgring video of the ZR1 at about the 6:30 mark. On a long straight the car seemed to die at about 175 mph. Looked like heat soak unless that was up a steep grade. Its hard to not heat soak when you have an 80 pound metel furnace mounted above a motor. Now, where are all those who said GM wouldn't build and release a car that heat soaks....
Old 08-16-2008, 03:06 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C6Z had no problems hanging with the ZR1. Most of the ZR1s were not driven to their fullest out side the two in the instructor group.

with Tom.

The ZR1s were very quick out of the corners and were amazing to watch in the corners for a stock production car! My stock HP Z06 was able to slowly hunt down the ZR1s in the instructor group because the improved suspension, alignment, brakes and the Hoosiers provided higher corner speeds. Make the same race prep modifications to a ZR1 and it would leave my Z06 in the dust! A combination I wouldn't mind getting thrashed by (too much).

Dean

Last edited by kentz06; 08-16-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kentz06
with Tom.

The ZR1s were very quick out of the corners and were amazing to watch in the corners for a stock production car! My stock HP Z06 was able to slowly hunt down the ZR1s in the instructor group because the improved suspension, alignment, brakes and the Hoosiers provided higher corner speeds. Make the same race prep modifications to a ZR1 and it would leave my Z06 in the dust! A combination I wouldn't mind getting thrashed by (too much).

Dean
I agree that the modded Z06's were able to keep up and as you say, with the same mods, the ZR1 will leave you well behind. In addition, I didn't get to quiz them enough to confirm but I believe the brake pads out lasted the Z06's as well. Tom may know more about this subject.

I was not one of the lucky ones that got to drive one but I was lucky enough to get a ride with a very competent student. After riding in a very fast stock Z06 on Hoosiers with an EXCELLENT driver (thanks again Frank) and jumping into a ZR1 with a student, all I can say is that I was very impressed with the tires, the brakes AND the power. The little bit of heat soak didn't keep it from being a Z06 beater and it didn't appear to be much worse than the heat soak experienced in the LS7. Even normally aspirated cars get hot and timing gets pulled. I'm sure there will be many after market solutions for this in the near future.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Bedding those Carbon Ceramic brake pads for track use is NOT easy.

thirty to fifty 30 to 5 mph stops, then thirty or so 100 to 30 mph stops, then 30 or so 120 to 10 mph stops. all one right after another. Keep the bedding procedure until brake fade happens. Let them cool down,.

The brake pads change color when bedded properly. From normal bark to white / light gray.

But for 99.9% of the ppl that puchase the ZR1 the brakes are pre bedding for their normal street use.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I uploaded one whole afternoon session for yellow group. It's downloadable and should have better quality that way. It doesn't look as good as when I uploaded it!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13481870598201
Old 08-16-2008, 06:09 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bedding those Carbon Ceramic brake pads for track use is NOT easy.

thirty to fifty 30 to 5 mph stops, then thirty or so 100 to 30 mph stops, then 30 or so 120 to 10 mph stops. all one right after another. Keep the bedding procedure until brake fade happens. Let them cool down,.

The brake pads change color when bedded properly. From normal bark to white / light gray.

But for 99.9% of the ppl that puchase the ZR1 the brakes are pre bedding for their normal street use.

Last edited by ERND IT; 08-18-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-17-2008, 07:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Bedding for the CCBs is straight from Brembo the manufacture.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:18 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this meant as some inside joke? If you really don't know Tom, I suggest you reconsider your remark. Tom's writing and spelling are unique and take some getting used to, but the only "POSING" he does is on the top step of the podium.

Get notified of new replies

To VIDEOS - Road America NCM Event 2008!

Quick Reply: VIDEOS - Road America NCM Event 2008!