Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Shelf Life ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Fluid Shelf Life ???

I thought this would be the best forum to ask this question because we probably buy and use more brake fluid than most.

Does an un-opened container of brake fluid have a shelf life? I know after a container is opened it should be used very soon. My guess is it don't or it would have a date on it, but I don't know for sure. What do you think?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I usually buy my ATE Super Blue a case at a time. It lasts me about 3 years. NO problems that I have seen from storing it that long.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

No, it has no specific shelf life. And, an opened container doesn't go bad rapidly, if that was the case you'd have to flush your brake system every month or so. Keep it capped tightly, and it won't absorb much in the way of water vapor (unless you think it's pulling the water vapor through the sides of the bottle).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I usually buy my ATE Super Blue a case at a time. It lasts me about 3 years. NO problems that I have seen from storing it that long.
But my case lasts only a year doing 2 cars. If I open a can and don't use it within 3 months then I use the rest for clutch fluid as the clutch fluid stands very little if no chance to boil.

I used to change brake fluid between every event. Now its down to about 3 to 4 events. I bleed the brakes before the event and once during. I figure this case should last at least a couple of years.

Bob
Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you put the bottle away, squeeze the bottle until the fluid is almost to the top, then put the cap on. Now there's very little air in the bottle.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:23 PM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
Before you put the bottle away, squeeze the bottle until the fluid is almost to the top, then put the cap on. Now there's very little air in the bottle.
Great idea!

I also use my Ate for clutch fluid after the unused opened bottle has been sitting for a few months.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Thanks for the input, good to know, I use ATE blue and gold. I remember you from Summit Point, Shenandoah Circuit about October of last year.

Originally Posted by Kanmer
But my case lasts only a year doing 2 cars. If I open a can and don't use it within 3 months then I use the rest for clutch fluid as the clutch fluid stands very little if no chance to boil.

I used to change brake fluid between every event. Now its down to about 3 to 4 events. I bleed the brakes before the event and once during. I figure this case should last at least a couple of years.
Bob
So far I havn't bought brake fluid by the case (it would probably be a little cheaper that way), but I do have about 4 Liters on hand and about a 1/2 Liter can open. I better use it as brake fluid very soon it's about 1-1/2 to 2 months old now. I think I'll do what you mentioned and swap out the clutch fluid with it. Thanks for the idea. I did swap out the clutch fluid a couple months ago but you can't do it too often I guess. How often do you swap clutch fluid?
I also remember you and Nancy at several events, last was NCM@VIR I think it was. You ran off and left me after you got past the traffic that was holding you up.
Howard

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
I can see where that would be a good idea. My ATE fluid is in a can instead of a bottle but I can still squeeze out most of the air before I cap it. Good idea, Thanks.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

A metal can is the best as its said the plastic does transfer moisture after time. The brands I use are in plastic containers, so I dont buy more than one seasons supply.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USA1C5

So far I havn't bought brake fluid by the case (it would probably be a little cheaper that way), but I do have about 4 Liters on hand and about a 1/2 Liter can open. I better use it as brake fluid very soon it's about 1-1/2 to 2 months old now. Howard

I can see where that would be a good idea. My ATE fluid is in a can instead of a bottle but I can still squeeze out most of the air before I cap it. Good idea, Thanks.
Don't worry about the 2 month old ATE, it's fine and should easily go a year. The sealed cans - longer. I have no problem using any fliud thet's in a sealed can that sat over the winter.

The plastic cans will absorbe moisture but it would take a very loooong time. You'll get more moisture in the fluid by just pouring it into the M/C.

And just FYI, while your m/c's are sealed with the rubber diaphram, I have a race car that has m/c's vented to the air. The calipers get bled before every race but it has nothing to do with moisture.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

There is no way to know how long the fluid sat on some distributor's shelf before it was shipped to the retailer and then to you so if it had a shelf life it would probably be used up before the fluid got to you.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Fluid Shelf Life ???

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Shelf Life ???