Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2 vs C3 for road racing ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Default C2 vs C3 for road racing ?

So I'm thinking of getting a vintage Vette for roadracing

I have the 68 so I know what thats like

is the C2 a lot more primitive ?

Ive heard the handling is pretty scary on C2s and they like to change lanes by themselves etc

whats the reality on the difference between racing a C2 & a C3 ?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:57 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The pick up points on the suspension are the same and can be modded with the same components. Ditto the drivetrain. The biggest difference is aero. The sexy mid year shape wants to take off at high speeds. The problem area on a '68 was cooling (even on the street car). That was addressed in '69. The '68 would be an easier build (but if you just did the frame and dropped a Grand Sport body on it, that would be cool too). /:\
Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 AM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
So I'm thinking of getting a vintage Vette for roadracing

I have the 68 so I know what thats like

is the C2 a lot more primitive ?

Ive heard the handling is pretty scary on C2s and they like to change lanes by themselves etc

whats the reality on the difference between racing a C2 & a C3 ?
Not sure who's C2 you are talking about but they are no more scary than driving a 68+ car. I have a 68 and my father runs a 67 and I have driven both and there is no real difference unless one is not doing what it is supposed to do.

As stated the frame and suspension are close, late 68+ had extra support braces buy the rear kick ups for more stiffness. The biggest difference is that C3s are def more aerodynamic than C2s, you can run a larger motor 70+ can run 454, and you can also run 10inch wheel. Those 3 things more it a better faster race car, or at least easier and cheaper to go fast. That being said there are a lot of fast C2 running around the country too. All it takes is time and money.

What is comes done to is what you would rather have, how much you want to spend, and what sanctioning body you are going to run with. But as far as one being "scarier" than the other I am not sure about that. They can both be scary if they are not set up correctly.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:23 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by bjm
Not sure who's C2 you are talking about but they are no more scary than driving a 68+ car. I have a 68 and my father runs a 67 and I have driven both and there is no real difference unless one is not doing what it is supposed to do.

As stated the frame and suspension are close, late 68+ had extra support braces buy the rear kick ups for more stiffness. The biggest difference is that C3s are def more aerodynamic than C2s, you can run a larger motor 70+ can run 454, and you can also run 10inch wheel. Those 3 things more it a better faster race car, or at least easier and cheaper to go fast. That being said there are a lot of fast C2 running around the country too. All it takes is time and money.

What is comes done to is what you would rather have, how much you want to spend, and what sanctioning body you are going to run with. But as far as one being "scarier" than the other I am not sure about that. They can both be scary if they are not set up correctly.
I concur with Brian.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 vs C3 for road racing ?

Quick Reply: C2 vs C3 for road racing ?