Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much oil (over) is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How much oil (over) is too much?

I usually run 1/2 to 1 qt. over full for HPDE in the C6. Is 1.5 Qt. over too much and what are the consequences if any? I inadvertently overfilled (with the aid of my helper ...lol) it a little!

Any issues with seals?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm no expert but I think 1.5 quarts over is too much. When I track my car I put about an extra half quart in. Someone told me even using a full quart over can cause some oil 'ingestion' problems. If it were me, I'd drain some oil out.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Rex

The GM engineers recommend for the C6 that no additional Oil be added for HPDEs or track events.

One 1 qt extra for C5s
Old 08-26-2008, 12:26 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.5 qts over is too much. Not sure if it will cause any harm, but it will blow thru your PCV and you get oil all over your throttle body/intake etc. as wll as out the exhaust and over the back of your car. It is a huge mess.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 PM
rbl
Drifting

OK ... thanks folks. I thought so too. Will drain it and run it at the full line.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Rex

The GM engineers recommend for the C6 that no additional Oil be added for HPDEs or track events.

One 1 qt extra for C5s
Huh... I thought it was 1 quart over for the base and Z51 C6. I have been wrong before though...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:35 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
Huh... I thought it was 1 quart over for the base and Z51 C6. I have been wrong before though...
Owners manual states add an additional quart. (in 2005 anyway)
Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Rex

One 1 qt extra for C5s

Tom, sure that's not for C6Z06s with dry sump? I think LS-2/3 are supposed to run 1 qt over.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
rbl
Drifting

It was 1 1/2 qts over.

I took 3/4 qt. out so it is 3/4 qt over full ... that is about where I have always run it.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:07 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
It was 1 1/2 qts over.

I took 3/4 qt. out so it is 3/4 qt over full ... that is about where I have always run it.
How do you tell exactly? I can only tell by draining for an oil change and then assuming that I got virtually everything out with the change. The C5 is a 6qt capacity so I add 6.5. Above the full line it's really hard to tell what's going on.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Tom, sure that's not for C6Z06s with dry sump? I think LS-2/3 are supposed to run 1 qt over.

Have a good one,
Mike
Direct from the Corvette man who is in charge of all Corvette Warranties. Plus the Chief LS# engineer. No extra oil for any C6s.

Helps when these guys come to our NCM HPDEs.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:17 AM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Direct from the Corvette man who is in charge of all Corvette Warranties. Plus the Chief LS# engineer. No extra oil for any C6s.

Helps when these guys come to our NCM HPDEs.
That question was asked at the first drivers meeting at Road America and as Tom says, the "man" responsible for all Corvette warranties responded that no extra oil should be added to the C6. Unless someone knows of a better source??????? It IS great to have the GM folks at the NCM events for questions like this one and all the others we ask them.

C5 XTC
Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
How do you tell exactly? I can only tell by draining for an oil change and then assuming that I got virtually everything out with the change. The C5 is a 6qt capacity so I add 6.5. Above the full line it's really hard to tell what's going on.
About all you can do is know what you put back in and then get a reference on the dipstick at that level.

When I have the filter off I also crank the car and run it for ~ 10 seconds. That gets a lot more oil out from the filter area and seems to work. I have a Z51 so there is still some in the cooler.

Headed to VIR now so we wil see if it works I guess ..lol. RAIN .. rats.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
jcmbird
Advanced

Friend just blew a rod in 91 zr1 motor with too much oil be careful.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 AM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
Owners manual states add an additional quart. (in 2005 anyway)
Originally Posted by C5 XTC
That question was asked at the first drivers meeting at Road America and as Tom says, the "man" responsible for all Corvette warranties responded that no extra oil should be added to the C6. Unless someone knows of a better source??????? It IS great to have the GM folks at the NCM events for questions like this one and all the others we ask them.
Funny that the "man" would say something contradictory to the Owner's Manual Guess its believe what you hear, not whats typed in your owners manual (of all places).

The LS6, LS2, LS3 are not much different at all in engine design or lubrication. I do not see why for the LS6 it would be required and not for the LS2/3? Doesnt make much sense to me...can someone provide a better reason besides the "man" said so...??
Old 08-27-2008, 11:34 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by throwit
Funny that the "man" would say something contradictory to the Owner's Manual Guess its believe what you hear, not whats typed in your owners manual (of all places).
Depends on who the "man" is, and who's forwarding the info. BTW, you *never* run your car with anything but runflats, right?

Great info, Tom, I'll forward that on to my C6 buddies!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

The LS6, LS2, LS3 are not much different at all in engine design or lubrication. I do not see why for the LS6 it would be required and not for the LS2/3? Doesnt make much sense to me...can someone provide a better reason besides the "man" said so...??
You are of the same thinking as me. IMHO, if I owned a C6, I would run extra oil.

Get notified of new replies

To How much oil (over) is too much?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
throwit
Drifting

Depends on who the "man" is, and who's forwarding the info. BTW, you *never* run your car with anything but runflats, right?
You let the "man" sway you?? You earlier said you thought they needed it???

Fortunately I don't go off of "word of mouth" without associated reason or logic, especially 3rd hand from someone called the "man"

If you, the "man", or anyone else would like to explain what is special/unique about the LS2/LS3 which would require them to NOT use an extra quart while the LS1/LS6 would, then please feel free to to do so...

I dont even own a C6, I am just curious about the justification behind the statement.

Last edited by throwit; 08-27-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:21 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

You let the "man" sway you?? You earlier said you thought they needed it???
Most small blocks usually run 0.5 - 1 qts over for track events. I knew that the owner's manual recommends that for LS-2/3 engines. I also know that there are people that have a lot more information/knowledge than I do, so I stand corrected on my previous statement.

Fortunately I don't go off of "word of mouth" without associated reason or logic, especially 3rd hand from someone called the "man"
So, if that "man" was, say, Lou Gigliotti, or Roger Penske, or *the* LSx design engineer from GM, would you believe them? I would!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-27-2008, 03:37 PM
throwit
Drifting

So, if that "man" was, say, Lou Gigliotti, or Roger Penske, or *the* LSx design engineer from GM, would you believe them? I would!
If Lou G or Roger Penske said something, I AM 110% SURE they would have a supporting explanation/argument (as Lou G has done NUMEROUS times when advocating his products, and GIVING REASONS as to why they are designed a certain way, better than others, etc).

So what if Lou G said one thing and Roger said another? Who do you believe? Wouldnt it be wise on your behalf to find out the REASONS why they felt the way they did? and make an EDUCATED decision? or maybe you would have Lou and Roger play rock, paper, scissor? LOL...becasue after all reasons dont matter right? just that the "man" said it!! LOL

In general, if/when anything is in question, and an answer is given, wouldn't you want to know why?

Its not as if the answer is consistent, there are conflicting answers for basically the same engines...doesnt that make you a little curious?

To each his own, but NO, I would not take someone's "word", no matter who they were, if they had no reasoning behind their statement, ESPECIALLY if that statement was contradicting another, and furthermore if that statement was heard 3rd hand.

If "cause he said so" is good enough for you, than more power to you ...different strokes for different folks.

throw it

Last edited by throwit; 08-27-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: How much oil (over) is too much?