Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with EOC on radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Guys with EOC on radiator

I have installed a DeWitts radiator with left side EOC in my 02 Z06.
When I start the engine after sitting a day or 2 it takes a few seconds to get oil pressure and I get a dash message stating low oil pressure for a few seconds. I assume the oil is draining back into the engine from the cooler. Is this going to harm the engine in the long run? Do any of you guys with EOCs in the radiator have the same issue? Thanks, Craig
Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a very large external cooler mounted in front of my condensor on my '03 C5Z and I do not have that problem. The only time I ever saw that warning in the DIC was the first time I cranked the car after installing the cooler. Sounds like you may need to invest in an Accusump.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I likely have the same setup as you. DeWitt radiator with left side EOC connections with the LPE block adapter that came with the line kit from DeWitt. No issues with oil pressure on start up though. I have had this setup for more then a year now.

I never really thought about it, but I wonder if it matters which way it flows and how you hooked it up. I.e. flow top to bottom connector or the other way around... I don't recall how I set it up myself!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:22 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no issues like that, I do believe there is something that should stop the oil from draining back into the pan, perhaps the lines are reversed?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

oil inlet needs to be at the bottom. Outlet on top.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Never had issue with DeWitts.

Check hoses for correct orientation.

If you have flow valve in line make sure it is installed in correct direction. If incorrect you will only get enough pressure that is forced back through filter bypass valve (usually 6-12 lbs) and if you check pressure at filter (as GM does does for checking for low pressure) it will indicate you have adequate pressure. After a short period of time you will not have any cam bearings. The mechanic who installed the system will swear there is another problem and the system was installed correctly. Ask me how I know.

An Accusump system is a cost effective device that will help on start up and at track.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CF6873
I have installed a DeWitts radiator with left side EOC in my 02 Z06.
When I start the engine after sitting a day or 2 it takes a few seconds to get oil pressure and I get a dash message stating low oil pressure for a few seconds. I assume the oil is draining back into the engine from the cooler. Is this going to harm the engine in the long run? Do any of you guys with EOCs in the radiator have the same issue? Thanks, Craig
Which gasket did you use for the adapter block? I had this EXACT same issue until I swapped from the rebuild gasket (two holes) to a stock GM - one big hole for the adapter block. Solved this issue 100%.

I have a Dewitt right side EOC.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Which gasket did you use for the adapter block? I had this EXACT same issue until I swapped from the rebuild gasket (two holes) to a stock GM - one big hole for the adapter block. Solved this issue 100%.

I have a Dewitt right side EOC.
I thought about using the stock gasket which would actually allow a small amount of oil to bypass the cooler and would give instant flow to the engine. I think I will change the gasket. Did you see a noticable change in oil temp by doing this?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:00 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CF6873
I thought about using the stock gasket which would actually allow a small amount of oil to bypass the cooler and would give instant flow to the engine. I think I will change the gasket. Did you see a noticable change in oil temp by doing this?
The highest oil temps we have seen now are 281-285 - for the south, in the summer, pushing it hard - we are happy. 270 is average peak for a "normal day" at the track now. It is hard to get it to warm up in the winter months to 212 on the street
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Ron Davis Right Side EOC with DRM line kit/adapter here.
No issues with "low pressure" lights; just takes a little longer for pressure to rise to normal reading.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It is hard to get it to warm up in the winter months to 212 on the street
I had a local well known corvette race shop advise me that 160* oil temp was sufficient enough for the aluminum block to expand enough for bearing clearances. I've always used 180* as my benchmark though. Was this good advice?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sperkins
I had a local well known corvette race shop advise me that 160* oil temp was sufficient enough for the aluminum block to expand enough for bearing clearances. I've always used 180* as my benchmark though. Was this good advice?
probably - I like to get the oil to 212 to boil out the inevitable water and gas residues...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question:

If you put an oil cooler on your car would you not need to add more oil to fill the cooler and lines?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by beerkat
Question:

If you put an oil cooler on your car would you not need to add more oil to fill the cooler and lines?

a little bit more - at most a 1/2 quart or so
Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

probably - I like to get the oil to 212 to boil out the inevitable water and gas residues...
It rained like crazy here two days ago. The average temp has been around 75 degrees. Why isn't there big puddles of water everywhere???

Randy
Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
It rained like crazy here two days ago. The average temp has been around 75 degrees. Why isn't there big puddles of water everywhere???

Randy
If it is like here the ground is sucking it down!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

If it is like here the ground is sucking it down!
Yea no kidding. It's been dryer then a popcorn fart around here. My point is the oil temp gauge doesn't have to read 212 to burn off the water. Put 5 cups of water on the stove, and turn the **** to about heat range 5. Come back a couple hours later and see how much water you have left. Without it ever reaching the 212 mark.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Guys with EOC on radiator

Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Yea no kidding. It's been dryer then a popcorn fart around here. My point is the oil temp gauge doesn't have to read 212 to burn off the water. Put 5 cups of water on the stove, and turn the **** to about heat range 5. Come back a couple hours later and see how much water you have left. Without it ever reaching the 212 mark.

Randy
Yep - water is an amazing compound and has tremendous affinity for most things - the ice in my freezer sublimates(solid phase straight to gas) - but I still like making it into steam from nucleated boiling...especially since the oil is on top of water in any gravity dominated system. The water in oil will actually bound with most anything (sludge, carbon, bearing material, etc.) since it is bipolar and the bound can take more than 100C to break. In a pressurized system it can take a lot higher temps to distill it out.

The oil temp gauge is a point temp reading - it is certainly much hotter (and cooler) in other regions of the engine.

The oil loss many attribute to track driving is really blowing off the lighter elements from fuel and water accumulating into the oil from sitting or low temp operations.

In that dry winter air in WI I have seen water evaporate at very low temps due the ambient air pulling it from the pot...
Old 08-29-2008, 03:43 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got love that tech talk of Varkswo.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:19 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Yep - water is an amazing compound and has tremendous affinity for most things - the ice in my freezer sublimates(solid phase straight to gas) - but I still like making it into steam from nucleated boiling...especially since the oil is on top of water in any gravity dominated system. The water in oil will actually bound with most anything (sludge, carbon, bearing material, etc.) since it is bipolar and the bound can take more than 100C to break. In a pressurized system it can take a lot higher temps to distill it out.

The oil temp gauge is a point temp reading - it is certainly much hotter (and cooler) in other regions of the engine.

The oil loss many attribute to track driving is really blowing off the lighter elements from fuel and water accumulating into the oil from sitting or low temp operations.

In that dry winter air in WI I have seen water evaporate at very low temps due the ambient air pulling it from the pot...

That crazy thing called H20. You are 100 percent right. But have you seen the inside of a oil pan at 5000 rpm??? I don't think there is enough time for the oil and water to sit around. The oil is spraying around like crazy. I heard John Sheilds say once the oil in the ring area was almost 600 degrees. I think Redline Oil is where he got that info from.

I just don't see how a street engine that gets raced is going to have any problems running around the street at 180 oil temp. Too many short trips I can see a problem, but nothing a few more miles wouldn't help. Or a good old fashin oil change.

Randy

Quick Reply: Guys with EOC on radiator