Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderbolt making last minute repairs before weekend race

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 06:53 AM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thunderbolt making last minute repairs before weekend race

Found this particularly interesting after my issue. Same exact turn.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=6360359

MILLVILLE, N.J. - August 29, 2008 - (WPVI) -- The Thunderbolt track in Millville, New Jersey will be the site race fans flock to this weekend.
But, there will be some new safety changes after a close call on Thursday.
The track's co-owner says driver Scot Pruet was trying to avoid a car that spun out in front of him, but ended up slamming into the wall that separates the track from the pit crews. He's okay, but his car split into three pieces.
It was also a close call in the pits.
Story continues belowAdvertisement
"The front half of the car came in and narrowly missed a car that was up on jacks," said driver James Hunt. "We got lucky that no one was hurt."
After the crash the owners of Motorsport Park voluntarily shut down the Thunderbolt Track and had crews working through the night to add an extra 240 feet of guardrail and sand barrels near the entrance to the pits.
"By extending the guardrail it has limited the access an out-of-control car has to the pits," said Trooper Steve Slimowicz of the New Jersey State Police. "It's a lot safer for the pit crew."
"We wanted to err on the cautious side rather than open up on a track that had a band-aid repair," said track co-owner Joe Savaro.
The track is ready for racing this weekend.

More:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/1...ry/242972.html

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/1...ry/242126.html

Last edited by cjlaw73; 08-30-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Immaculate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjlaw73

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=6360359

MILLVILLE, N.J. - August 29, 2008 - (WPVI) -- The Thunderbolt track in Millville, New Jersey will be the site race fans flock to this weekend.
But, there will be some new safety changes after a close call on Thursday.
The track's co-owner says driver Scot Pruet was trying to avoid a car that spun out in front of him, but ended up slamming into the wall that separates the track from the pit crews. He's okay, but his car split into three pieces.
It was also a close call in the pits.
Story continues belowAdvertisement
"The front half of the car came in and narrowly missed a car that was up on jacks," said driver James Hunt. "We got lucky that no one was hurt."
After the crash the owners of Motorsport Park voluntarily shut down the Thunderbolt Track and had crews working through the night to add an extra 240 feet of guardrail and sand barrels near the entrance to the pits.
"By extending the guardrail it has limited the access an out-of-control car has to the pits," said Trooper Steve Slimowicz of the New Jersey State Police. "It's a lot safer for the pit crew."
"We wanted to err on the cautious side rather than open up on a track that had a band-aid repair," said track co-owner Joe Savaro.
The track is ready for racing this weekend.

More:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/1...ry/242972.html

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/1...ry/242126.html
Good to hear that they are making improvments for safety.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I am really glad to see this since I have 4 friends racing in the Miller Cup Mustang Challenge this weekend!!!

Go Andrew, Carlo, Ted and Rick (all from the Seattle area)!

Dean
Old 08-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

While you're there, make it known to any GrandAm officials that you may come in contact with that they are not helping the Mustang Challenge by suspending drivers for minor infractions of on-track contact.

Miller agreed to let GrandAm be the governing body on-track. And, they recently suspended a single driver for minor contact-- though, this has occurred at every venue since the 1st race.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I ran there last Tuesday with SCDA and I loved it! We ran the other track, called the Lightning course. The Lightning course is faster than the Thunderbolt track but the entire facility is first class. Everything about NJMP is fantastic and the only downside for me is the long drive through the NY metro area with a heavy trailer. The town of Millville, NJ is nice and has everything you might need with good hotels, restaurants and for me, a place to get a new trailer tire which was ready to explode. This is one of the best in the country and we are fortunate to have such a great facility. The track is very fast, very smooth but has alot of challenges with off camber and lots of subtle elevation changes that you had better be square going over or else! The track surface was billiard table smooth and so perfect. This place really makes Lime Rock look bad, with things like, OMG, clean permanent bathrooms, paved paddock, 3 grades of fuel for sale, nice concessions etc, what a concept! Check out the suspension travel in these pics! My top speed was about 150MPH going into turn 1.

Last edited by ghoffman; 08-31-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Gatorac
Pro

after a close call on Thursday.
How do you call a crash major enough to completely destroy a car, split it into 3 pieces and knock the driver unconscious a "close call"?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Nikolas
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gatorac
How do you call a crash major enough to completely destroy a car, split it into 3 pieces and knock the driver unconscious a "close call"?

We'll be there in 2 weeks hosting the Redline Time Attack event. I'm glad to see track management respond so quickly to this issue. I won't name a particular track out here in Southern California, who after MANY MANY years, has not made safety improvements to their facility... even after repeated DEATHS and near deaths....
Old 08-31-2008, 01:15 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A portion of the car stopped just short of hitting a car in pitlane up on air jacks with a mechanic underneath it...
Old 08-31-2008, 04:58 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The driver lived and no one else got hurt.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cjlaw73

I'll say it's interesting.

It appears that the ownership has finally concluded that there is/was a design flaw in the track at the pit entry area. Hopefully the change that has been made (extending the dividing barrier between the pit road and the track back toward the bridge) will make that area of the track safer. From my recolection of that area, that armco extension will come right down the middle of the raised curb area between the track and the pit road. The result of this is that racers will no longer be able to go driectly over the raised curb area (which was painted white and very slippery) which is/was a big factor in upsetting the balance of the car.

I just hope that the visual restriction coming into that area due to the presence of the bridge abuttments and the presence of the end of the track/pit road armco and crash barrels doesn't cause more problems. As cars are coming through the short esses coming up to the bridge, there are going to be some cars slowing to enter the pits while other cars are going to be accelerating as much as possible through there and trying to come as close as possible to that new barrier at the end of the armco as they accelerate toward the main straight. It still seems like a marginally safe area of the track. There are just too many barriers, armco and bridge abuttments to hit and all of this at the end of the most difficult section of the track and where acceleration is called for.

It appears to me that the original placement of the end of the armco barrier which divides the track from the pits was placed there because the designers thought that the original placement was "the safest" location for the end of that armco barrier. It most likely appeared, in the design phase, that a more hazardous situation would have been present if the end of the barrier was closer to the turn leading to the main straight. But now it is looked at as a "fix" for keeping crashing cars out of the pits. Yes, it most likely will do that, but I'm not sure that the "fix' won't cause more safety problems on the track itself.

We'll just have to wait and see. Meanwhile I hope it is a universal fix and the entire safety issue is improved.

Jim Helm
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jim 47
I'll say it's interesting.

It appears that the ownership has finally concluded that there is/was a design flaw in the track at the pit entry area. Hopefully the change that has been made (extending the dividing barrier between the pit road and the track back toward the bridge) will make that area of the track safer. From my recolection of that area, that armco extension will come right down the middle of the raised curb area between the track and the pit road. The result of this is that racers will no longer be able to go driectly over the raised curb area (which was painted white and very slippery) which is/was a big factor in upsetting the balance of the car.

I just hope that the visual restriction coming into that area due to the presence of the bridge abuttments and the presence of the end of the track/pit road armco and crash barrels doesn't cause more problems. As cars are coming through the short esses coming up to the bridge, there are going to be some cars slowing to enter the pits while other cars are going to be accelerating as much as possible through there and trying to come as close as possible to that new barrier at the end of the armco as they accelerate toward the main straight. It still seems like a marginally safe area of the track. There are just too many barriers, armco and bridge abuttments to hit and all of this at the end of the most difficult section of the track and where acceleration is called for.

It appears to me that the original placement of the end of the armco barrier which divides the track from the pits was placed there because the designers thought that the original placement was "the safest" location for the end of that armco barrier. It most likely appeared, in the design phase, that a more hazardous situation would have been present if the end of the barrier was closer to the turn leading to the main straight. But now it is looked at as a "fix" for keeping crashing cars out of the pits. Yes, it most likely will do that, but I'm not sure that the "fix' won't cause more safety problems on the track itself.

We'll just have to wait and see. Meanwhile I hope it is a universal fix and the entire safety issue is improved.

Jim Helm
Jim, got your message yesterday. Sorry I didn't get back to you. My phone was near dead and I was on my way to meet up with some freinds to go over and watch the Rolex Races. We sat for a while by my favorite turn during the Mustang races. They extended the armco all the way down towards the bridge, and the pit entry is now before the turn and the bridge. Every single car though was still putting all four wheels over the concrete portion that acts as a divider. Be interesting to see if the fix turns out to avoid any further issues or not.

Charlie
Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While, I am up in the air on Thunderbolt, I will agree with Gary's comments about Lighting course. That is definately the JEWEL of NJMP. It is actually faster than Thunderbolt even though it is shorter. The esses are nothing short of amazing and turn one and the last turn before the bridge are good enought to make you giggle.

I am looking forward to going back on the 16th with Hooked on Driving and ECS. Hope to see you guys there.

Hey ECS...did you guys get us our own reserved paddock area just for vette's?

Get notified of new replies

To Thunderbolt making last minute repairs before weekend race

Quick Reply: Thunderbolt making last minute repairs before weekend race