Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrive and Drive racing...how do you get started?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:37 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Arrive and Drive racing...how do you get started?

I have been toying lately with wanting to do something different with a different car. I would like to try an actual race in a relatively inexpensive car just to experience wheel to wheel racing. Actually, the cheaper and slower the car the better. I have done karting and that is cool and all, but it's not like real road racing.

I called a couple Miata places and it wasn't that cheap and from what they said the cost of getting an SCCA liscense is expensive and only offered at certain times of the year and I would need to rent a spec car for the weekend just to get my liscense. Obviously, I am no amatuer when it comes to driving fast on road course, but obviously they aren't going to take my word for it.

I would like to try a sprint race with something slow and very affordable that would cost me around $1000 for the day (or less). Am I dreaming? Also, I heard something to the fact that getting an SCCA liscense is something like $800+ and I would need to rent a spec series car on top of that? So, am I looking at spending $2000-$3000 just to get a liscense? Seem's a little ridiculous, is there any other series that makes running a single race easy or at least allow me to leverage my 100+ days and thousands of track miles as experience?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:44 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well NASA is broken down like this:

you do a comp school on friday (about 380 bucks), and if you pass you can race that weekend (270 bucks).

SOOO, just add to that the cost of the rental (there are a bunch of people that rent out e30s or spec miatas) and thats your cost.

Youre at 600 alone for the entry fee (3 days on track), and I'd assume car rentals run 1000+ for a weekend, so yes you are looking at 2000+ to get a license and race in a rental.

oh, and there is no amateur race series (scca/emra/nasa) that will just grant you a license without going through a race school.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:46 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's an example:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23611

A few guys do this for NASA events, looks like you're a little off on your estimates, but not so much that it's unaffordable.

Nationals provides a total of 12 sessions, three a day from Thursday to Sunday. So for a regular weekend, perhaps the cost is lower. Obviously you have to pay your own entry fees, etc.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
well NASA is broken down like this:

you do a comp school on friday (about 380 bucks), and if you pass you can race that weekend (270 bucks).

SOOO, just add to that the cost of the rental (there are a bunch of people that rent out e30s or spec miatas) and thats your cost.

Youre at 600 alone for the entry fee (3 days on track), and I'd assume car rentals run 1000+ for a weekend, so yes you are looking at 2000+ to get a license and race in a rental.

oh, and there is no amateur race series (scca/emra/nasa) that will just grant you a license without going through a race school.
A rental car for the weekend is going to be more than $1k. I have a friend who has 3 rental Mustangs (CMC and/or AI) and he gets $2000-2500 for a race weekend.

Another alternative is to go to an approved competition school like Skip Barber, Bondurant, etc. The school will cost you about $3500 but it includes the car (and insurance) and some very good instruction. Even though you've spent a lot of time on track already, I'm sure there's more that you could learn from a professional instructor.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:49 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Arrive and Drive a GRAND AM Prototype. $30,000 per race.

A few years ago when I looked at Speed World GT it was about that.

so $2500 is inexpesive.

100 plus track days is great preparation, but I would guess, not the same as W2W
Old 09-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Here's an example:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23611

A few guys do this for NASA events, looks like you're a little off on your estimates, but not so much that it's unaffordable.

Nationals provides a total of 12 sessions, three a day from Thursday to Sunday. So for a regular weekend, perhaps the cost is lower. Obviously you have to pay your own entry fees, etc.
HA! Jon actually linked you to my friend's ad.

Thanks bud.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Arrive and Drive a GRAND AM Prototype. $30,000 per race.

A few years ago when I looked at Speed World GT it was about that.

so $2500 is inexpesive.

100 plus track days is great preparation, but I would guess, not the same as W2W
I have another friend who crews for a Koni Challenge team (more Mustangs). I think he told me that they get $10-12k for a weekend.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:58 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

arrive and drive is not a cheap way to go, especially if you think you want to keep going with racing. I mean, you can pick up a spec miata or spec e30 for around 10k, and probably sell it for the same amount when you're done (assuming that you keep it in one piece).

So, just use that logic to go out and buy a racecar!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

arrive and drive is not a cheap way to go, especially if you think you want to keep going with racing. I mean, you can pick up a spec miata or spec e30 for around 10k, and probably sell it for the same amount when you're done (assuming that you keep it in one piece).

Must be why there is a CMC Mustang living here now...
Old 09-05-2008, 06:12 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by varkwso
Must be why there is a CMC Mustang living here now...

you just made a financially responsible decision. (at least that is what you should tell everyone)

Old 09-05-2008, 06:15 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

you just made a financially responsible decision. (at least that is what you should tell everyone)

The running car with cage, fire system, seats, etc. was cheaper then caging the 99 FRC.

Jake is already grumbling about "only 226 HP" but the racecraft is the same.

Looks like I can rent it when he is not running at an event...
Old 09-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Add in the cost of a truck, trailer, tires, fuel, maintenance, etc and the costs start to rise exponentially. Rentals don't look so bad if you're not sure if you're going to stick with it, if you can't/won't do your own maintenance, or don't have a place to work on your car.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I have no idea if I really want to do racing, so buying a car outright yet is not an option. I have a C6Z06 that I paid cash for that I can sell to buy a race car if so desired, but I want to make the right choice the first time out. I would never do a $30k grand am rental (I know you were kidding). I actually found some Miata rentals that were $650 per day. For once and all, I really want to see what W2W is like regardless of the car or horsepower. I would bet that I have more track time than many of the guys racing and I really want to see how my speed and experience in HPDE translates to the racing environment.

With the funding I set aside for HPDE, I figure I could easily do a low level race season for the same price or cheaper, BUT I need to find out if W2W in a low powered generic car is going to be AS or MORE fun that driving a Pheonix prepared, coil-over, 500 RWHP, Hoosier'd C6Z at HPDE. Basically driving my C6Z is an awesome experience and to be honest, I have rarely been to an HPDE where someone has anything faster. I need to find out if W2W (even in a E30 or Miata) offers that additional bit of addreneline that an HPDE (regardless of the car) can deliver?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Most SCCA drivers schools are 3 days and cost around $400. The school is usually a written test on Friday, road sessions on Saturday. If you pass, you can race on Sunday. Rent a spec Miata, there can't possibly be a cheaper way to try it.

There is nothing I have ever done that comes close to the intensity, challenge, excitement of racing a Corvette W2W.

Go for it man!!!! But I have to warn you, it is the most addictive drug in the world.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I remember, I rented out my old 01 Z06 T1 Vette to a guy back in 05 or 06 I think for about $5K for the weekend which was his SCCA licensing school. I came along and crewed for him. So basically, all he had to do was show up with a suit, helmet, etc and get ready to drive. I took care of prepping the car, getting it there, etc.

I could probably be pursuaded to do the same thing with my new T1 car later in the year if you're interested...depending of course on where you live.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I have been toying lately with wanting to do something different with a different car. I would like to try an actual race in a relatively inexpensive car just to experience wheel to wheel racing. Actually, the cheaper and slower the car the better. I have done karting and that is cool and all, but it's not like real road racing.

I called a couple Miata places and it wasn't that cheap and from what they said the cost of getting an SCCA liscense is expensive and only offered at certain times of the year and I would need to rent a spec car for the weekend just to get my liscense. Obviously, I am no amatuer when it comes to driving fast on road course, but obviously they aren't going to take my word for it.

I would like to try a sprint race with something slow and very affordable that would cost me around $1000 for the day (or less). Am I dreaming? Also, I heard something to the fact that getting an SCCA liscense is something like $800+ and I would need to rent a spec series car on top of that? So, am I looking at spending $2000-$3000 just to get a liscense? Seem's a little ridiculous, is there any other series that makes running a single race easy or at least allow me to leverage my 100+ days and thousands of track miles as experience?
Aside from the rental fee, a couple of things to completely understand when you rent the car.

1.) What about crash damage to the car? Who pays? Is insurance available? What if the damage isn't your fault?

2.) What about mechanical damage? Suppose the motor blows? The clutch? Differential?

All of these things need to be understood because it can be real big numbers real quick.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I live in NJ (hence 95Jersey). NJMP is my home track and is 40 minutes from my house and is my preference. There are some NASA races happening at that track in the fall (Oct-Nov). I am leaning toward NASA as it is basically owned by PDA, of which I have history dating back to 2000 and 2/3rd's of my 100+ track days are with PDA. Maybe I can leverage that experience for a provisional license.

I am sure I could drive a T1 car without a hiccup, but running one for a season is just out of my financial will. $5k is way above what I would spend on a single race, but thanks VERY much for the offer. That is my budget for an entire year of HPDE with C6Z. I already tow, so that is not a problem.

Thanks for all the great responses. What has really peaked my interest is that I had attended an HPDE where I drove a friends street maita against a few spec miata's with NASA and SCCA regional drivers at their wheels. I had a lesser prepared, heavier car, with less HP and literally ate each of them alive, passed them and almost lap them in a 20 minute session. I spoke to the guys afterwards and they race Miata's consistently and could not beleive I walked them in a stock street car. I was more suprised then they were and thought....hmm.

Get notified of new replies

To Arrive and Drive racing...how do you get started?

Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Before I took the plunge and went T1 racing, I did an HPDE at Mid Ohio in my street C5Z. I liked it but wanted more of a challenge, but didn't know if I would like W2W.

So I rented an SCCA IT front drive Nissan and did a racing school at Gingerman. The next Monday I called Phoenix Performance and wired a deposit on my first T1 race car...I loved it!

Doing an "Arrive and Drive" allows for more than just a car rental. Normally you get the expertise of the people who you rent from. That is huge. I did a hybrid version of an Arrive and Drive: I own the car but Kryderacing preps the car and delivers it to the track using my truck and trailer, and then provides trackside support for the weekend. I like it this way as I have control of the equipment that represents me to the public.

Please remember this very important fact:

NONE OF YOUR OPTIONS ARE FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE! But you will have a blast!

Chris, you're nuts for renting out your car...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
Most SCCA drivers schools are 3 days and cost around $400. The school is usually a written test on Friday, road sessions on Saturday. If you pass, you can race on Sunday. Rent a spec Miata, there can't possibly be a cheaper way to try it.

There is nothing I have ever done that comes close to the intensity, challenge, excitement of racing a Corvette W2W.

Go for it man!!!! But I have to warn you, it is the most addictive drug in the world.
They have had an SCCA school a few times at Pocono in the early summer.

Matt you know Entropy Racing gets about 600 for a day in a spec racers at PDA HPDA plus damage.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:37 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out http://www.fulltiltracing.com/schedule.php next 4 hr enduro is Sept 19 at E'town. $200 and they provide the gear and kart. Usually 4 man teams and 4 15 min. stints each (and thats normally enough, trust me). Last time I was there I was put on a three man team and I got all the track time I could take.

Quick Reply: Arrive and Drive racing...how do you get started?