Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much extra oil...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:51 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How much extra oil...

is a good rule of thumb for cars running oil coolers?

I tried the search but it returned lots of "run an extra quart" for track days, but nothing about extra oil for coolers.

I was wondering if adding extra oil to keep the lines filled and the sump primed will help maintain oil pressure and flow/oiling at the optimum level.

I was thinking an extra quart would be enough make up for the lines and cooler.

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
RC45
Race Director

Anyone have an idea of the need for extra oil to compnsate for the extra volume of the lines and cooler?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

I got two possible questions from your first post:

1. How much oil do I need to add for initial startup after an EOC install?

When I installed mine the cooler and lines took about 3/4 qt. I hand pumped in as much as I could, then monitored the oil pressure on the DIC. Started the engine for about 5 seconds, then shut it off. Let the valve train cool down for a few minutes (assuming not much oil lube or cooling during initial start), then started it again. After about 5 seconds this time oil pressure started climbing and stabilized normally. I never heard any valve clatter or other unusual signs during this process.

2. Will this extra oil act as the extra quart GM recommends using during track events?

No. The EOC oil stays in the lines and cooler unless you break the system open. So you still need to run extra oil to keep the oil pump inlet from gasping air.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 12:31 PM
RC45
Race Director

Thanks, that pretty much follows my line of thought.

I think I may add an extra 1/2 quart over the extra 1.5 I added as my hot oil pressures are still a little on the low side.

Cold idle is 45psi, hot idle is 30 psi... 4th gear 1000rpm is 28psi. 4000rpm 4th gear is 45psi.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

If you're running a stock LS-x oil pump, those pressures are really good. The extra oil won't help oil pressure when still or on the straights, but when you're in a long, fairly high g sweeper. Under that condition oil tends to climb up the outboard side of the engine, which can lead to the oil pickup unporting, which is a BAD thing.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I run a Ron Davis radiator with EOC and remote oil filter. At oil change time it takes 8 quarts to bring the level up to the full line. When I am at the track or autocrossing I add an extra quart. I usually consume about a half quart per day of track time so I make sure to check it every couple sessions to make sure it is still close to the 9 quart level.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To How much extra oil...

Quick Reply: How much extra oil...