Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My reliable Porsche let me down, finally...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My reliable Porsche let me down, finally...

So after 28 days total of track time, I finally suffered a faliure on my Pcar. There's something going on with the clutch hydraulics, to the point that I ruptured a fluid line on Friday in the first session of the first day, sidelining my whole weekend... I shouldn't complain, as the car has been amazing to drive on course. We'll get her fixed and back in action soon...

Here's a clip of the only session of the weekend... We were in white run group and were first out on track Friday morning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC0TgSgBcwE

Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now you're going to find out why many Porsche owners don't stay in this game for long. No repair on that thing is going to be under $5K. Just out of curiosity, let us know what it costs to fix.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

That's really kinda funny because I've owned this car for going on two years and the cost for parts/repairs hasn't been much more than the cost of those faliures I suffered on my C5 Vette...

It's going to be one of two things... Failed release bearing/clutch fork, or problem with the clutch master cylinder. Removing and re-installing the trans is 4 hours labor... Actually LESS than what I was quoted for the first clutch job on my C5 Vette...

And you might want to rethink porsche owners "not staying in the game for long..." Go visit Rennlist for a reality check.
Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I thought this was the Corvette forum not the P forum?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bjm
I thought this was the Corvette forum not the P forum?

Lets not get into that, Mike is no stranger to Corvettes and has many friends here......

I used to own an F-body, doesn't mean I stopped posting on F-body forums where I still have friends......

Joe
Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Tavarez
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I like having owners of other cars on this forum, cut the man some slack. Hope everything goes well with the repair, seems like something that could happen to anyone or any car.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
That's really kinda funny because I've owned this car for going on two years and the cost for parts/repairs hasn't been much more than the cost of those faliures I suffered on my C5 Vette...

It's going to be one of two things... Failed release bearing/clutch fork, or problem with the clutch master cylinder. Removing and re-installing the trans is 4 hours labor... Actually LESS than what I was quoted for the first clutch job on my C5 Vette...

And you might want to rethink porsche owners "not staying in the game for long..." Go visit Rennlist for a reality check.
Mike

Are you ever on the Rennlist? If so, why do you keep posting crap here that most people could care less about?

Every car you own blows up in some way....

Last edited by 94ZR1#444; 09-08-2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Didn't want to offend Mike and his
Old 09-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Tell you what, You're absolutely Right... No more polution from me... Oh snap...

When you're king I'll leave... Until then, I'll post when and where I want.

Last edited by Mikelly; 09-08-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:11 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Tell you what, You're absolutely Right... No more polution from me...

I'm gone...
Don't let a few grumpy people run you off. I really enjoy your posts, knowledge and input.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
Don't let a few grumpy people run you off. I really enjoy your posts, knowledge and input.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tell you what, You're absolutely Right... No more polution from me...

I'm gone...
You can't take this stuff personally. Obviously this is a Corvette forum. When some bonehead on 6speedonline says that the new Viper ACR is too uncomfortable to drive or has a spartan interior or it's NRing times don't matter you just have to laugh. I don't look at it like it's marque vs. marque. It's more like those that track their cars vs. those that don't (not that there's anything wrong with that). The fact is there are not enough dedicated track guys for any one particular brand so stick around cause I want to keep hearing the track stories no matter what brand of car the author happens to own at the present time. Besides, it's the rivalry the makes this so much fun!! I can't wait to run with you at VIR!! LOL

Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike

Like any car or most as the life cycle is extended repairs may become more frequent. Hope it goes well for ya.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Actually, I can, and I did and because I know the individual in question, I'll let each of you know that I told him F YOU in a PM...

Guys, I "try" to help when I can, share my experiences, and weigh in when I think I have something of value to add.. But honestly, I don't deserve such disrespect from some asshat when I've done nothing to warrant it...

It turns out that this valve involved with the hydraulic clutch system was backing out and allowing air into the system... a 10 minute fix had I taken the time to address it...

Yea, I blew it up... What kills me is that I know many of us are "CAR" guys and can see the warts in all these cars... Unfortunately some of us want to have this bias that just isn't me...

I'm pretty much fed up with that kinda thing...

Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

I've blown up one car... a CORVETTe... Nice going editing slick...

You're f'n pathetic...
Mike

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
Are you ever on the Rennlist? If so, why do you keep posting crap here that most people could care less about?

Every car you own blows up in some way....
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tell you what, You're absolutely Right... No more polution from me... Oh snap...

When you're kind I'll leave... Until then, I'll post when and where I want.
Even though I have never meet Mike or Tom "A un Gel" its these people that continue to help this forum thrive with great information. Mike helped me help a freind who has a 996, and in case anyone forgot Mike also spearheaded the charge to help Joe "T1 CORVETTE racer" get his car back together so he could get back on track.

I think this community rocks and if you dont like something just dont read it, keep the negative comments to yourself. Its great that former owners stick around, heck I might not always own a vette
Especially after driving a 550hp 996 turbo for awhile this weekend, but on a side note the gt3 and the 996 owners both had a ball in my z06, they really enjoyed driving our brand.

Nando

A un Gel
Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well, thread said Porsche so no need to click if you don't want to read. Doubt the Rennlist will be taking over here anytime soon.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

hey mike how much do the race consumables run compared to a new z06 like brake pads rotors etc.....

how do you hang with a newer z06?

porsche would be a fun car to have also

Get notified of new replies

To My reliable Porsche let me down, finally...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM
johninar
Drifting

I too enjoy the posts from Mike. I've learned a lot from him. As was said above, the title said Porsche. I guess someone who has faster lap times could tell him off , other wise maybe a count to 10 might be in order.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

It turns out that this valve involved with the hydraulic clutch system was backing out and allowing air into the system... a 10 minute fix had I taken the time to address it...

Mike
Was there any warning on this (like when the clutch sticks down on the c5z)?

BTW, I'm thinking of a GT3 next so do keep posting. I would be interested in the cost of consumables & also repairs P car vs Z car.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:52 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

most cars are reliable until you start f in with them. leave it stock, and they seem to last longer. My LT4 has at least 9000 track miles, and the worst thing is a wheel bearing that got noisy, & developed play.
and if I was running street tires, that wouldn't have happened.

Quick Reply: My reliable Porsche let me down, finally...