Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you rotate pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Do you rotate pads?

I have been putting my track pads on the same rotor on the same side for the past 5 track days. Should I be rotating these from like left to right and inside to outside? Apparently I haven't been too hard on them as they have hardly any taper at all. BTW, they are Carbotech xp12s on the front and 10s on the rear. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I rotate mine but if there is no taper then it's not such a big deal. Swap inside to outside pad if the thickness is different too.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:07 AM
errance
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you have a C5Z06, therefore using the same type of pads I do on the C6.
You can't rotate your inboard pads, they have wear indicators and are unique to each side. That means the only rotation you could do would be to swap your outboard pads from one side of the car to the other. Not worth the hassle.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

I don't think thats an issue on the track pads as the indicators are not there.

I do notice my outside pad wears a lot faster than inside on the front, it might not be a bad idea to do after 1 or 2 days. I wouldnt do it if the difference is too great.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take the calipers off for inspection after every track day, if they do not need replacement, I do rotate them to maximize pad life.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

My car wears the inboard more so I swap that to the outboard and usually side to side depending on taper. If there is one of those metal tangs for wear, I just bend it back out of the way or break it off.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
My car wears the inboard more so I swap that to the outboard and usually side to side depending on taper. If there is one of those metal tangs for wear, I just bend it back out of the way or break it off.
+1

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
errance
Pro

You guys are not worried about running a pad down towards the end of a track day, and not knowing it because you don't have a wear indicator?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Apparently I haven't been too hard on them as they have hardly any taper at all. BTW, they are Carbotech xp12s on the front and 10s on the rear. Thanks.
Use 'em harder! I swap the inboard pad with the outboard pad every weekend, possibly sooner depending on the pads. I do not swap sides, no need to yet. If your pads are excessively tapered, you may notice some mush in your pedal after the swap until the pads flatten back out.

Originally Posted by errance
You guys are not worried about running a pad down towards the end of a track day, and not knowing it because you don't have a wear indicator?
No - You should be visually inspecting your street or race pads every couple of sessions.......don't rely on wear indicators. Most race pads don't have wear indicators.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:53 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
No - You should be visually inspecting your street or race pads every couple of sessions.......don't rely on wear indicators. Most race pads don't have wear indicators.
If you're on a track you wouldn't likely hear the wear indicators anyway.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I run them down to the backing plates. That's probably not for everyone, but it works for me. The brakes sound like gravel in the calipers when the pads go full metal. Sometimes the rivets cut grooves in the rotors (usually not), but they get pitched out because of cracking anyway.

I usually flip pads around after each track day to even out taper wear.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I check everything I can think of after every session. For me I can see the pad but I can also tell how much wear there is by how low my M/C brake fluid gets. As the pad wears the fluid level goes down, remember to check this so as not to get to low! I've seen some near empty M/C's after sessions when people have their hoods up.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
If you're on a track you wouldn't likely hear the wear indicators anyway.
Another +1.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

With pad taper you could have a pad with plenty of material on the end with the sensor and no material at the other end. The sensor depends on the pads wearing evenly which is rare. As far as worrying about the sensor when flipping pads it really isn't necessary as it is possible to install the pads with the sensor in the wrong position. The correct position for the sensor is on the inboard trailing edge but it can just as easily be on the outboard trailing edge or the inboard leading edge.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Do you rotate pads?

Quick Reply: Do you rotate pads?