Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Big Boy" seat in c6 ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:15 AM
kermooni
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Big Boy" seat in c6 ???

O.K. I am 6' and weigh 300#. Regardless, it is hard to make your hip bones narrower

Standing aginst the wall, my hips are 17" wide. Sitting down, I am sure I need more. I might be able to SQUEEEEZE myself into a 17" seat.

What is the widest aluminum seat (Kirkey or Ultrashield) that fits in a C6? I believe none of the "Fiber" ones will. I do NOT want to modify my car to get a seat to fit. I have a Hardbar harness bar installed.

What mounting kit should I use with it? I have a 6-point harness. Also, a 10 or 20 Degree seat?

Thanks.

Last edited by kermooni; 09-14-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: oops
Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kermooni
O.K. I am 6" and weigh 300#. Regardless, it is hard to make your hip bones narrower

Standing aginst the wall, my hips are 17" wide. Sitting down, I am sure I need more. I might be able to SQUEEEEZE myself into a 17" seat.

What is the widest aluminum seat (Kirkey or Ultrashield) that fits in a C6? I believe none of the "Fiber" ones will. I do NOT want to modify my car to get a seat to fit. I have a Hardbar harness bar installed.

What mounting kit should I use with it? I have a 6-point harness. Also, a 10 or 20 Degree seat?

Thanks.
18 is Kirkey's biggest standard seat and I have a 17 which has plenty of room in a C5. Kirkey will make you a bigger one for extra money. I am sure Gary at Hardbar can tell you about 18" Kirkey and sell you some of his brackets for a Kirkey. Most go with a 20* lay back like I did but a few here have a 10* lay back.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Not sure of the difference between a C6 and a C5 but if they are no wider than a C5 an 18 inch seat may not fit. I am using a 17 inch Ultrashield seat on Gary's rails and it just fits in the car. The seat bottom sits on top of the bottom rails as there is not enough room for it to fit between the rails. Outside the seat rails there is just enough room on either side to route the lap belts between the seat/rails and the sides of the car to the holes in the seat from their mounting point at the back of the rail. I don't see how an 18 inch seat would fit. If you use the Big Boy seat then you need to figure out whether you want to use the stock belts or a harness. If you use the stock belts then you need someway to mount the inside belt receiver.

I am 5' 10" and I know I made a mistake when I bought the 20 degree layback seat. I just installed a 10 degree on the other side and it provides a much better seating position for me. With the seat mounted the back is at 20 degrees but the seat bottom is angled upwards so it feels like the seat holds you in place Vs sliding out of it. To do the same with the 20 degree seat my seat back is rotated to far back.

One thing you need to consider is that a number of groups require equal seating on both sides of the car so you may be installing a seat on the passenger side. The other thing you need to consider is both Kirkey and Ultrashield say the seat back needs to be fastened to a hard point on the rollbar/cage/car.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-10-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
kermooni
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure of the difference between a C6 and a C5 but if they are no wider than a C5 an 18 inch seat may not fit. I am using a 17 inch Ultrashield seat on Gary's rails and it just fits in the car. The seat bottom sits on top of the bottom rails as there is not enough room for it to fit between the rails. Outside the seat rails there is just enough room on either side to route the lap belts between the seat/rails and the sides of the car to the holes in the seat from their mounting point at the back of the rail. I don't see how an 18 inch seat would fit. If you use the Big Boy seat then you need to figure out whether you want to use the stock belts or a harness. If you use the stock belts then you need someway to mount the inside belt receiver.

I am 5' 10" and I know I made a mistake when I bought the 20 degree layback seat. I just installed a 10 degree on the other side and it provides a much better seating position for me. With the seat mounted the back is at 20 degrees but the seat bottom is angled upwards so it feels like the seat holds you in place Vs sliding out of it. To do the same with the 20 degree seat my seat back is rotated to far back.

One thing you need to consider is that a number of groups require equal seating on both sides of the car so you may be installing a seat on the passenger side. The other thing you need to consider is both Kirkey and Ultrashield say the seat back needs to be fastened to a hard point on the rollbar/cage/car.

Bill
Thanks Bill.

I think you can use gary's mounts to tile the chair as there are multiple mounting points on each side bracket. But it sounds like these "big boy" seats have to be installed from the bottom.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by kermooni
Thanks Bill.

I think you can use gary's mounts to tile the chair as there are multiple mounting points on each side bracket. But it sounds like these "big boy" seats have to be installed from the bottom.

Yes, Gary's rails allowed me to tilt the seat back but the back of the seat bottom rests on the rail. People with smaller seats can actually mount them so the seat drops down between the rails. Here is a picture of how mine was mounted on the rails.

After this picture was taken I used the seat on the track and found the front wasn't high enough to hold my legs properly so I dropped the back of the seat down on the edge of the rail. The problem with the change was that it stretches my arms out further than I would like. The seat is still mounted through the side. Another big problem with a 20 degree seat is actually mounting it in the car. The inside rear mounting bolt is hidden from view and there is little room to get a tool in to work on the nut let alone get your arm in there.

You can mount the big boy seat from the side as well. Side mounting is probably a better way to mount the seat.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-10-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
kermooni
Racer

How do you disable / get around all the OEM seat electronics?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:49 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racetech makes a big boy seat don't know if it's larger than the others
Old 09-14-2008, 09:17 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 6' 285 so I know what you are going through. I ended up buying the Caravaggio's seats for my C5. I know of at least two people on this forum that have them in their C6s. One of the main reason I bought them, other than I can fit in it, is that they are a straight replacement for your stock seat. So you kepp the same seat rail and most all of the funtions that go with it. the bad part is that you can spend $3000 for a pair of them. They are nice and I am glad that I bought them.

Before you buy any seat sit in it to make sure you fit.

Last edited by beerkat; 09-14-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To "Big Boy" seat in c6 ???

Quick Reply: "Big Boy" seat in c6 ???