Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 with C6 Z06 Suspension, works well?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default C5 with C6 Z06 Suspension, works well?

Hey guys, Im looking to upgrade my suspension setup on my C5 coupe for more of a road race feel. Some guys have recommended to upgrade to C6 Z06 shocks and sway bars. Also its a lot cheaper by more than half compared to aftermarket parts. I can have the complete C6 Z06 suspension, except for the springs, for under $500 from GMpartshouse. Anyone here race with that setup or have it? How do you like it? I want to know your opinions. I just wanna haul *** in corners and stay flat and I dont wanna pay $1700 on pfdat shocks and stuff. So, guys with this setup, what do you say? Also, anyone have the sizes on the C6 Z06 sway bars? Thnx.

BTW, I know tires are a big part but lets just talk suspension components here.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

I followed your post over in C5 Tech, so what I'll say here will be similar.

IF what you're wanting is a stiff, harsh, ride, then get the biggest, fattest bars with the stiffest shocks you can find. C6 shocks and T1 bars will fill the bill nicely. Then slam the car down as far as possible (pull the front adjusters, go to longer bolts in the back, etc.) The car will drive like garbage, but it'll feel like a sports car should.

If you want to just tighten up your car a bit, and handle better (tires play more of a role than suspension), then I'd suggest a set of Z51/Z06 sways (probably get them used for a song), some Bilstein Sport shocks (work very well on C5s), lower your car no more than 0.5-0.75" from stock ride height settings, and get an alignment.

The shocks will stiffen the ride somewhat, but will still work well with your stock springs (the main purpose of the shock is to control the springs). The sways will really flatten the car in the corner (probably my favorite "feel" mod), but won't make the car less stable on non-smooth corners.

Raising the car back up gets the suspension back towards the middle of its operating range, and usually softens the ride a bit as well (no bottoming out on shock bumpers).

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Thnx Mike. So, youre recomending the C6 (or C5?) Z51/Z06 sway bars and regular Bilstein Sport shocks (same as C5 Z51 right?) for a tighter ride without it being too harsh, right?

Last edited by C5Natie; 09-10-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:33 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a full C6Z06 suspension (with springs and bars) that was removed from my C6Z with 4500 miles at the time. Springs are going to make the big difference here, not just sway bars. The car will still dive, squat and plow through corners with soft springs, and big bars are just going to mask the problem slighty. How do I know? I ran big bars on a stock Z06 and did not like it and wen't with coil overs. The stiffer spring rate is the key to the package (along with a good set of tires of course).

I would be willing to part, but only as an entire package.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sway bars will hekp in corners but you need to really change the springs for a significant gain and take braking dive out also/. What springs do you have now base or Z51?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I got a full C6Z06 suspension (with springs and bars) that was removed from my C6Z with 4500 miles at the time. Springs are going to make the big difference here, not just sway bars. The car will still dive, squat and plow through corners with soft springs, and big bars are just going to mask the problem slighty. How do I know? I ran big bars on a stock Z06 and did not like it and wen't with coil overs. The stiffer spring rate is the key to the package (along with a good set of tires of course).

I would be willing to part, but only as an entire package.

I might be intrested in the entire package. I will let you know, thank you.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Sway bars will hekp in corners but you need to really change the springs for a significant gain and take braking dive out also/. What springs do you have now base or Z51?
I have base now so Ive noticed the car isnt as flat on corners as I'd like. For now my plans look like C6Z51 or C6Z bars and C6Z shocks.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Thnx Mike. So, youre recomending the C6 (or C5?) Z51/Z06 sway bars and regular Bilstein Sport shocks (same as C5 Z51 right?) for a tighter ride without it being too harsh, right?
Frankly, I recommend the C5 hardware. The others are correct, symmetrical loads (like braking), will result in the nose of the car dropping (or diving, if you're braking hard). Which results in more weight transfer, which helps braking, but hurts turning while braking, because the rear wheels are unloaded.

It depends on what you want for your car (kinda like my first post over in Tech). If you want to optimize the car while accepting the increased harshness that brings on the roads we drive on, then go with the more aggressive parts.

OTOH, if you still want to live with the car on the road (check my sig's mileage), you have to accept some compromises. Right now your car is optimized for ride comfort at the cost of some handling (probably not as much as you think, the C5's suspension is pretty good). Now you want to take away some of that ride comfort to improve the handling.

Another thought is to go with some C5 Z51/Z06 springs, which are stiffer than base, but won't be as much as the C6 Z06 hardware.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I have C5Z springs for sale....
Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

base springs to Z51 C5 or C5Z springs is what you need. Then get some new Bilstein Sport shocks and T-1 bars or even a set of used Z51 or C5Z bars and it will be cheap and better than leaving you base springs in the car. Not sure if all the C6 hardware / suspension is a direct swap. I don't think the springs are. I guess you would spend less than 750 for the whole swap in parts.

used springs 300 front & rear
used Z51 or Z sways 150 used t-1 about double or 300-350
new Bilstein shocks 300
New poly bushings for sway bars 5 or less is my guess. check VBP site

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Thnx for all the advice guys. I should have my setup complete around the end of Nov. I def let you guys know what I went with and how it feels. Thnx again.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Probably the best thing to do is install the C5Z stuff as a package.

That is use the springs and bars from the C5z and the z shocks, or the bilstein shocks. That way you will have a balanced package that you won't have a big bunch of oversteer or understeer with and it will work right out of the box. Changing to this bar and that spring is fine if you know exactly what you want and are willing to do a bunch of work, as well as going out and buying more parts that may or may not match and doing all two or three times until you get it right.

Some folks go about it like building an engine... A cam here and heads there... And it works after a fashion, but it won't perform anywhere like a package that a good builder that has matched his heads to the cam to what the driver wants...

I have seen and driven countless cars that were really terrible that sombody who showed up a local event and wanted somebody who "knew what they were doing" to drive their car and give them some feedback on their modifications. Unless you know exactly what you want to get from a given mod, you are better off with a package that was engineered and will give you balanced handling. Otherwise you can end up with a car that pushes like a pig or makes your eyes wide every time you go briskly around a corner, or will rattle your kidneys every time you drive around the block.

I think that everybody on this page will tell you that the base suspension isn't very good for what we like to do and stiffening it up some really can make it a lot more like what we want. Just be advised that with springs and shocks, it's really easy to get a long way from a "streetable" car if you start going to "much better handling" springs and shocks. The stock Z parts, coupled with a good set of shocks are about as stiff as I would care to drive on the street every day...
Old 09-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Right now I am running my factory Z51 springs (rear is same as Z06), C5Z swaybar/links and C6Z shocks. It seems to work well together but I am getting some noise that I think is coming from the shocks. I have not found anyhting that was 100% accurate about this, but it looked like the C6 shocks had a slightly different mouting angle and may be binding. My old shocks had 150,000 miles on them so maybe the rubber ends had molded to the car better. I am goign to take the shocks out this week to check them out. I have a set of C5Z shocks going in as well as the C5z front spring.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I have C6Z shocks with C5Z sways on my FRC with the ride height dropped about an inch in the front a little more in the rear, still has a good rake. The car handles very well although I'm thinking about raising the car a little bit.

I've heard that the late C5Z or Bilstein shocks are better but I got a good deal.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Are new metal end links for the sway bars needed? I havent even really studied my suspension. Does the stock setup already have them? Just want to know what I'll have to order with the C6 Z51 sway bars.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

I'm not sure if C6 sways will fit a C5 suspension.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
According to gmpartshouse they do without modification. They are even sold under C5 parts.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 with C6 Z06 Suspension, works well?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
They fit
Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thehammer69
They fit
Thanks for the info; always willing to learn new goodies!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-19-2008, 01:22 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
According to gmpartshouse they do without modification. They are even sold under C5 parts.
the front C6 sway bar will fit C5 . the rear does not

Quick Reply: C5 with C6 Z06 Suspension, works well?