Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS Brake Lines ???

Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SS Brake Lines ???

I've been reading all the threads I could find about Stainless Braided Brake Lines. I still can't determine which way to go. Some of the brands I could find were: Goodridge G-Stop, Technafit, Racing Brake ?, StopTech, DRM and Russell. I'm sure theres some I havn't heard of, if so list them here. I'm leaning toward StopTech but DRM seems good also. I realize there's been lots of discussion on this topic but I'm throwing it out here one more time. What do you guys think? The best regardless of price, the cheapest and the best buy all of these rankings could be a different SS brake line. Let's here some comments please.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Well............I went with the same brand that I plan on upgrading the rest of my set-up to eventually..Stop Tech.
This way I don`t have to worry about compatibly down the road!

FWIW, I`m currently running C6 Z51 rotors/caliper brackets w/Ferado pads, Motul fluid and the above mentioned braided lines, works very well on my blown C5 canyon carver. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 PM
FredSM
Drifting

LAPD

FM
Old 09-14-2008, 11:18 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't lose sleep over this. No matter what brand you use, the car will stop the same as stock.

Steve
Old 09-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Todd Benne
Instructor

Let me know if I can help you out on the SS lines.
stopflex.com
Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Don't lose sleep over this. No matter what brand you use, the car will stop the same as stock.

Steve
I will not lose any sleep for sure.

I have read what you said before on other threads and that statement is probably true but don't you get a better feel for the brakes especially when in Anti-lock activation mode?: Someone that has driven their car with both types, OEM and SS brake lines can probably answer this without speculation.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, having been at a Cal Speedway track day where two Vettes had rubber brake lines fail... ...I think of it more as a safety item.

And Mountainbiker happens to know both of the cars...and the one driver.

Last edited by Bimota Guy; 09-15-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stainless braided lines are a good upgrade, IMHO. I used Goodrich lines on my former Z06 until I upgraded the brakes to the Wilwood 6 piston setup. The one suggestion I would make -- whichever ones you get (they are all about comparable), be sure the braiding is plastic coated. If the braiding is not coated, dirt can get into the braiding and cause abbration to the tubing. The plastic coating seals the braiding and prevents any dirt from getting in there.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Stainless braided lines are a good upgrade, IMHO. I used Goodrich lines on my former Z06 until I upgraded the brakes to the Wilwood 6 piston setup. The one suggestion I would make -- whichever ones you get (they are all about comparable), be sure the braiding is plastic coated. If the braiding is not coated, dirt can get into the braiding and cause abbration to the tubing. The plastic coating seals the braiding and prevents any dirt from getting in there.

Yes, thanks. I'm not considering any brands that don't have the plastic coating over the braid.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Todd Benne
Instructor

Our lines can be plastic coated in various colors.
stopflex.com
Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5

Someone that has driven their car with both types, OEM and SS brake lines can probably answer this without speculation.
I did switch to SS lines. Like Bimota Guy said "more for a safety stand point". I have Stop Tech SS lines.

In the first 10 stops, I thought maybe the pedal did feel better. After that you want no the difference. And I use the ABS all the time.

Steve
Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No plastic on our lines. Have you guys seen what happens to the pretty plastic after a year or two of tracking. Well what happens is the coating wears off, then a hole will open. Then trap the dirt, grim and hold it tighter against the braid-teflon sleeve.

Unsealed, you should wash down with some brake cleaner once or twice a year.

Randy
Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

This is why I brought up this topic again. I was about to make up my mind and now I'm confused again. Seems there is pros and cons on all brake lines. I guess all one can do is weigh it all for themselves.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I went thru this whole thing back in March. I ended doing the Goodrich because they had a lifetime warranty for whatever that really means.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:22 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Not to stir the pot ... but I've read some strongly held opinions that one should get ONLY -AN connections and NOT banjo ...
That said, I ended up with banjo ... and have had zero problems in three years. (got them because they were plastic covered! ... and Randy ... I check them every bleed ... only one small hole and I got that covered!
Additional note ... the lines I got are about 3/4" longer ... useful at rear for a lowered car.
Also ... if the lines are not marked front and rear ... I think you will find that the rears are a bit longer ... so put the longer pair there.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:45 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Not to stir the pot ... but I've read some strongly held opinions that one should get ONLY -AN connections and NOT banjo ...
That said, I ended up with banjo ... and have had zero problems in three years. (got them because they were plastic covered! ... and Randy ... I check them every bleed ... only one small hole and I got that covered!
Additional note ... the lines I got are about 3/4" longer ... useful at rear for a lowered car.
Also ... if the lines are not marked front and rear ... I think you will find that the rears are a bit longer ... so put the longer pair there.
Would the rears be longer on a C6Z06 also? Is this true for the OEM rubber brake lines? I've never measured or compared OEM brake hoses before and it's too much trouble at the moment to go out to garage jack it up and pull a couple wheels. Easier to ask here. One would think fronts would be longer for the left and right steering input but maybe they shorter just for that reason, to keep from rubbing when wheels are turned.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:59 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the Goodridge lines on my C6 and they worked fine.

I just put Stoptech lines on my C5. They installed very good. The lengths were perfect. I felt the Goodridge lines didn't fit as well as the Stoptechs.

Also the Stoptechs are considerably thicker in diameter. They were also $35.00 more.

I think you will be fine either way.

Get notified of new replies

To SS Brake Lines ???

Old 09-17-2008, 11:35 AM
R Mackow
Racer

Make sure you use copper washers with those new SS lines. The Russells I put on 3 years ago some how when on with aluminum washers. For a year I had many problems with ABS not working as a result. Some folks poo-poo this theory, but I dumped a bunch of $ into a fix, then changed to Goodrich SS lines + copper washers and ABS failure went away.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:31 PM
City Goat
Racer

Happy with the Goodridge lines I have.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree with the others in that I view this primarily as a safety issue. Can't tell you how much junk I've run over on the racetrack.

Probably lots of good options out there, but I've been satisifed with the Goodridge lines and AN fittings on my C5 T1 car.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SS Brake Lines ???