Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infrared thermometers to check tires ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:13 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Infrared thermometers to check tires ???

Are they of any value or just a gadget? They are cheap and I am not interested in high dollar stuff for a one/two time use.

Are the temps worth taking after you have to drive several thousand feet to get into the pits?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really need to get the temperature of the deep rubber, surface temp will change too easily. you can get a base model for 100 bucks.

and yes, ideally you want to come in hot (no cooldown lap) and have someone take youre temps in the pits, but if you don't take too long you can check the temps at your paddock spot.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

try Sears, they just had one on sale in last month's Craftsman club for like $50. Unfortunately, I missed the sale. BTW: they don't like being dropped on ashpalt.

Check your inside, middle, and outside temps. Goal is to be even acrossed the tire.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

This is a nice combo unit that Longacre sells, you can use the pyrometer to check header temps if you think you have a miss and it's still usefull as a tire pyrometer.

It's $200 but I paid $150 for my infared pyrometer itself.
I'm sure you can find a cheaper unit but I think that this has more uses.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 AM
rbl
Drifting

Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one that i use on occasion. for autox i have my wrench man check them as soon as i pull off course much after that it dosen't help alot but can give you an idea.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

If you ever see IR video of a tire you will see the surface temps change in seconds.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

This is the most important tool in the tool box. Tires and their performance is the most important part of the setup. You can find a couple seconds a lap working on the pressure, and contact patch. With most race tires, they like to be about 15-25 degrees cooler on the outside.

Randy
Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
This is the most important tool in the tool box. Tires and their performance is the most important part of the setup. You can find a couple seconds a lap working on the pressure, and contact patch. With most race tires, they like to be about 15-25 degrees cooler on the outside.

Randy
Is that what you've found on your ice racer Randy???
I just couldn't resist. HA HA
Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

IR is as worthless as a Spec Miata, as worthless as taking the temps in the paddock.

Gayr's right about the surface temps, if you would look at the on car 3 channel per tire data log, you'd know why.

A probe type pyrometer is the only way you can get useful readings. And they have to be done in the pit and without a cooldown lap.
Why? As Gary said, surface temps change in seconds and most importantly, the tire cools down at different rates. This is because the center reading is taken where the tread is the thinest, the outboard temps cooldown at a slower rate because the tire tread merges with the sidewall and the rubber is thicker there.

The best time to take temps is in the middle of a session.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:40 AM
rbl
Drifting

Randy
The reason I asked was because a friend brought a high dollar camera and took these pictures. I was at VIR and did not know they were waiting in the pits. About a 1 mile drive into the pit where I saw them. So the tires had cooled allot.

I run -4.5 degrees of camber front and rear like all the other SRF's. The wear on the tires is perfect after many, many sessions .... so?

The rear is fuzzy because it focused on the exhaust.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:46 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Is that what you've found on your ice racer Randy???
I just couldn't resist. HA HA
You laugh now, but you should see how hot one can get a iceracing tire. I have turned the rubber to that blueish color during a 1 hour sprint race. No more spending money on ice racing. Just wait until I run your azz down at RA

Randy
Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rbl
The reason I asked was because a friend brought a high dollar camera and took these pictures. I was at VIR and did not know they were waiting in the pits. About a 1 mile drive into the pit where I saw them. So the tires had cooled allot.

I run -4.5 degrees of camber front and rear like all the other SRF's. The wear on the tires is perfect after many, many sessions .... so?

The rear is fuzzy because it focused on the exhaust.

Very cool stuff!!! Try a few things and see if the lap times come down. Tire wear is important for budget racing. But has been proven not to produce the fastest lap (sometimes). Dealing with a light weight car without a ton of power can be interesting. I would try standing up the tires some. Maybe a 1/2 degree and try again.

Randy
Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

You laugh now, but you should see how hot one can get a iceracing tire. I have turned the rubber to that blueish color during a 1 hour sprint race. No more spending money on ice racing. Just wait until I run your azz down at RA

Randy
Let me guess you have an idea as stupid as mine and you're building a track car. Good it's about time we need some new cars to chase around at RA.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM
rbl
Drifting

Very cool stuff!!! Try a few things and see if the lap times come down. Tire wear is important for budget racing. But has been proven not to produce the fastest lap (sometimes). Dealing with a light weight car without a ton of power can be interesting. I would try standing up the tires some. Maybe a 1/2 degree and try again.

Randy
Interesting .. that is precisely what I did! I took 1/2* out of every wheel. Just looking at the car static you can really see the camber and the insides show that in the surface temps

I considered going a full degree because I can't drive the car as hard as the top guys. They are turning unbelievable 2:14.8 - 2:15's consistently. I can only get 2:21's out of it because my underpants are still loose ..lol.

Considering the car is 1700# and 105 Hp that's not bad! That's a 200 Hp Corvette.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

What tire do you have to run these days???

Randy
Old 09-16-2008, 06:03 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Randy,

The tires pictured look like the Yokohama Advan A048 tire.
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan_a048.aspx
If I'm not mistaken they would be similar to a Toyo RA1.

Get notified of new replies

To Infrared thermometers to check tires ???

Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Randy,

The tires pictured look like the Yokohama Advan A048 tire.
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan_a048.aspx
If I'm not mistaken they would be similar to a Toyo RA1.
I think you are right. Way back when we were running Yokohamas, they didn't require any crazy amount of camber. But different cars all together. 4.5 degrees seems like a ton.

Randy
Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
rbl
Drifting

Yoko A-048 is correct and it is a spec tire for the SRF. Not available on the open market. I would guess that at least 5000 sets of these have been used on these cars.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
IR is as worthless as a Spec Miata, as worthless as taking the temps in the paddock.

Gayr's right about the surface temps, if you would look at the on car 3 channel per tire data log, you'd know why.

A probe type pyrometer is the only way you can get useful readings. And they have to be done in the pit and without a cooldown lap.
Why? As Gary said, surface temps change in seconds and most importantly, the tire cools down at different rates. This is because the center reading is taken where the tread is the thinest, the outboard temps cooldown at a slower rate because the tire tread merges with the sidewall and the rubber is thicker there.

The best time to take temps is in the middle of a session.
very good info! i just use the palm of my hand when i first get into the pits. sounds silly but it kinda works

Quick Reply: Infrared thermometers to check tires ???