Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your harness loosen up during your session?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Does your harness loosen up during your session?

My new (10 track days) 5 point cam-lock harness seems to loosen up a little bit after several laps. I find myself having to snug them back down which is very distracting when I'm trying to concetrate on things like heel-toe, braking points, proper line, gauges....you get the point.

My harness is properly installed and at the correct angle. I like to be strapped in as tight as possible. Mine is an RJS Racing 5 point cam-lock. Anyne else have a similar problem?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:03 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have all seen this.

Actually, you're probably moving a little deeper into your seat and stuff after a few laps. I bet you'll find that the belts are cinched up tighter after you re-tighten them than they were when you got into the car.

When you get into the car, try to get as deeply into the seat as you can. Then put on the belts, good and tight.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Agreed. I don't think the belts are slipping, but I do sometimes cinch them tighter after a few laps.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:12 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by sperkins
Mine is an RJS Racing 5 point cam-lock.
Yes, everyone that has that. A) always use a 6 point not 5 (easier on the family jewels) and is easier to mount, and B) That is not the best quality harness available. This is like the old saying about helmets, if you have a $5 head get a $5 helmet.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:20 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, they loosen up during a session.

I push myself into the seat as far as possible by using the dead peddle, and if someone is near by I have them pull down on the belts. They can get better leverage standing up than I can seated and strapped in the seat.

During Full Course Yellows I always snugg them up again.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

When I installed my last set of belts I went with pull ups since there was so little room to pull on pull down belts. Now I can tighten shoulder and lap belts while driving. It is even easier for somebody outside the car to work with.

Bill
Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Mine haven't loosened at all on me yet. I do have to tighten them a little between sessions but not every time. I think as I remove them after a session then put them back on later, the belt slips a little from being fumbled around.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Mine haven't loosened at all on me yet. I do have to tighten them a little between sessions but not every time. I think as I remove them after a session then put them back on later, the belt slips a little from being fumbled around.
That is unusual. Even the pro's are constantly tightening their harnesses while driving.

Bill
Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys check your helment straps too. I posted the story of a old racer, went for a barrel roll and his helment ended up in his hands.

Randy
Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is unusual. Even the pro's are constantly tightening their harnesses while driving.

Bill
Maybe I move around less with the auto. When I'm sitting in grid I smash myself forward and back, then side to side, then tighten them. If that helps! No loosening on track at all though. I also move my head around and retighten the helmet strap while waiting in grid.

Get notified of new replies

To Does your harness loosen up during your session?

Quick Reply: Does your harness loosen up during your session?