Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Piston Rubber Dust Boots

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:39 AM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Caliper Piston Rubber Dust Boots

The rubber dust boots or dust covers on my C5 caliper pistons have been burned off for at least two years now. Does anyone replace them? When do you tear down the caliper and clean out the piston bore? Is it a touchy process?
I wouldn't have problem doing this but have not done it before.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 AM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a rebuild kit for this. The kits are sold per caliper for fronts and rears. I did replace my front ones. I got them from the local Chevy dealer. They have held up for over a year now surprisingly!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not bother - they will only melt again....
Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
I do not bother - they will only melt again....
So true. I would, however, make sure the caliper pins are well lubed each track event to prevent tapered pads. I believe mine have been binding and induced pad taper. Although many experience caliper spread, dirty pins cause this, too.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncpg_P0hp7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2FC8...eature=related

Here are a couple install videos on the removal and install of our Stainless steel pistons. You could use these for stock piston rebuild.

Randy
Old 09-18-2008, 10:14 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncpg_P0hp7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2FC8...eature=related

Here are a couple install videos on the removal and install of our Stainless steel pistons. You could use these for stock piston rebuild.

Randy
they transfer less heat to the fluid.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
they transfer less heat to the fluid.
carbon steel thermal conductivity at 225C = 47k (W/m k)

stainless thermal conductivity at 225C = 19k

Aluminum is 250k at the same conditions for comparison

Depends on alloy to some extent also...
Old 09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Thanks guys, somedays I just don't do that sales thing. I like to be one of the guys, not someone who doesn't post unless they are selling. Stainless steel will let less heat into the brake fluid, which will help the low pedal scare at the end of a hard run. The dust boots are still going to get beat up, but the inner seals will live longer.

Randy
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys, somedays I just don't do that sales thing. I like to be one of the guys, not someone who doesn't post unless they are selling. Stainless steel will let less heat into the brake fluid, which will help the low pedal scare at the end of a hard run. The dust boots are still going to get beat up, but the inner seals will live longer.

Randy

we have you covered
Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got done rebuilding all 4 calipers. got the kits from GMparts direct. not a difficult process but one of those that the first takes 45 minutes and the last about 15 minutes.

I used a compressor with about 15 psi of pressure (the lowest pressure that would move the pistons) , and put a piece of wood in the caliper so the piston wouldn't hit the caliper as it came out.

To get the seals out of the caliper bore, I used the tip of a bic pen cap which was firm enough to evert the seal out of its groove and would not scratch the bore. Make sure you clean the bore and pistons well and lube with brake fluid. the kit comes with a orange grease for the caliper pins.

Most difficult part was getting all the air out of the calipers during bleeding the system. It is a messy process.

My front brakes had not been releasing when off the brakes(could barely turn the rotors manually). The seal rebuild took care of this issue.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by drbenne
just got done rebuilding all 4 calipers. got the kits from GMparts direct. not a difficult process but one of those that the first takes 45 minutes and the last about 15 minutes.

I used a compressor with about 15 psi of pressure (the lowest pressure that would move the pistons) , and put a piece of wood in the caliper so the piston wouldn't hit the caliper as it came out.

To get the seals out of the caliper bore, I used the tip of a bic pen cap which was firm enough to evert the seal out of its groove and would not scratch the bore. Make sure you clean the bore and pistons well and lube with brake fluid. the kit comes with a orange grease for the caliper pins.

Most difficult part was getting all the air out of the calipers during bleeding the system. It is a messy process.

My front brakes had not been releasing when off the brakes(could barely turn the rotors manually). The seal rebuild took care of this issue.

Tap the caliper with a rubber hammer a couple times about half way inbetween your bleeding. Little air bubbles can get trapped.

Randy
Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
So true. I would, however, make sure the caliper pins are well lubed each track event to prevent tapered pads. I believe mine have been binding and induced pad taper. Although many experience caliper spread, dirty pins cause this, too.
i think a lot people overlook this
Old 09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by R Mackow
The rubber dust boots or dust covers on my C5 caliper pistons have been burned off for at least two years now. Does anyone replace them? When do you tear down the caliper and clean out the piston bore? Is it a touchy process?
I wouldn't have problem doing this but have not done it before.
hi temp poly boots would be nice but they would prob melt too
Old 09-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Randy
I think Randy can also get you some titanium shields to go between the pistons and the pads. Between the shields and the DRM pistons my dust boots still look pretty good.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Last C5
I think Randy can also get you some titanium shields to go between the pistons and the pads. Between the shields and the DRM pistons my dust boots still look pretty good.
i noticed a difference after putting in the titanium shields if you look at some of the high end calipers the pistons are aluminum with stainless steel on the end of the piston next to the pad. must do something good
Old 09-19-2008, 02:19 PM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by southern_son
You would not believe how many people/shops do not re-lube the pins. I've seen a few cars that have had the pins rusted into the abutment bracket.

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper Piston Rubber Dust Boots

Quick Reply: Caliper Piston Rubber Dust Boots