Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried the Racing Brake Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 PM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone tried the Racing Brake Rotors?

I just called them and they say that they make them in the USA and that they will far outlast the Chinese rotors and may hold us as well as 2 piece rotors.

Does anyone have any expereince with these?

http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchRes...nsive_Search=Y

cj
Old 09-18-2008, 01:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not sure the RB rotors are made here in the USA. Doubt they are using Coleman who is the only one I have heard casting rotors here in the USA. May be they mean the aluminum hat? Tell them to post up here if they are made in the uSA and some details. I may be totally wrong and hope they are made here but I don't remember that from previous threads.

There was a GP on some USA hats and rotors a week ago in the C6Z forum AFX had them.

Last edited by John Shiels; 09-18-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 PM
cj68
Pro

The guy on the phone specifically told me that the rotors were cast in the US to RB specs and would last a lot longer than the Chinese ones offered by many of the other big name brake manufacturers. I may order and will post results.

cj
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cj68
The guy on the phone specifically told me that the rotors were cast in the US to RB specs and would last a lot longer than the Chinese ones offered by many of the other big name brake manufacturers. I may order and will post results.

cj
I would ask for a warranty because they will get to replace them at least once ... hype!

I agree with John ... have them post that here and we can get to the bottom of it.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

as I remember they made a ton of claims on the forum in different sections and many repoted they fell way short of their claims for their pads and rotors. Try C6Z section and C6 section and ask ofr some feed back on there product. They may last forever on one persons car and another car run hard they may not. That is the fate of many products not only theirs. Hoosiers last some 20 event days and others 3 or less. Hope they are made here in the USA. They are a vendor so they should have no problem posting up they are cast and machined here.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:58 PM
cj68
Pro

Back to the drawing board. Looks like I may spring for DBA rears and the 2 piece Coleman AFX set up in the front.

cj
Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used their 1 piece and they lasted no longer then the rockauto/napa chinese ones. I have never used a fancy 2 piece rotor since I can buy lots of el cheapo ones and replace them every weekend or two as needed for the price of the 2 piece........this is on a c5, not c6z
Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 PM
darrahc
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I put these on my C6Z after the OEM rotors started to crack thinking (hoping) they would last longer to offset the cost. In my opinion, they last a BIT longer but certainly not enough for the price premium. I've got Brembo rotors now but will soon be going back to stock.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Anything RB sells is crap, don't waste your time or $$'s
Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We make a 2 piece rotor for the C5/6 and for the C6 Z06. We use Coleman Racing rotors made to our specs, and machine our own hats in our CNC machine shop. These are 100% made in the USA . Our rotors will far outlast a Napa chinese rotor or RB rotor. Combine our rotors with a set of Cobalt Friction brake pads for unbelievable stopping performance. Give us a call at 630-844-0089.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
Old 09-19-2008, 09:27 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
We make a 2 piece rotor for the C5/6 and for the C6 Z06. We use Coleman Racing rotors made to our specs, and machine our own hats in our CNC machine shop. These are 100% made in the USA . Our rotors will far outlast a Napa chinese rotor or RB rotor. Combine our rotors with a set of Cobalt Friction brake pads for unbelievable stopping performance. Give us a call at 630-844-0089.
Robert Finlayson
What Bob said....

I have his set-up AFTER buying the RB.com rotors all the way around. I ran stock pads and the RB rotors prior to installing my set-up from AFX.
The RB front rotors ended up warping while doing WOT tuning w/ stops from the 120-130 range. ( there was a nice long post on this but it got deleted after it got hi jacked).

Bottom line..you will NOT regret buying your front brake set-up from Bob at performance AFX..He might even still give you the GP price...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2128614
Old 09-19-2008, 09:35 AM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Not sure about the Vette, but Ive seen multiple failures on other makes. They may have improved since then, but I have no idea.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
Robert Finlayson
Bob,

I am probably going to by your front rotors, but I need to find an answer for the rear. As I remember, you do not make a set up for the rear.

cj
Old 09-19-2008, 08:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cj68
Bob,

I am probably going to by your front rotors, but I need to find an answer for the rear. As I remember, you do not make a set up for the rear.

cj
not with an e-brake just use some NAPA's on the rear they should last a while in the rear.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

We were first to market with Coleman rotors and our hats. Our hats are superior to the others in many ways. We use AN fasteners with no threads in shear, captured bolt heads that do not permit the fastener to rotate that facilitates assembly and security and we hold extremely tight tolerances. In addition we use Nordlocks on the nut side and have engineered in radial flexures to accommodate the thermal expansion without having to have floater hardware. Also, we have Coleman heat treat and balance each rotor and relieve the inner circle for minimum mass (total 15.9 lbs for the 14 inch C6ZO6). Lastly we have almost 3 years of testing on our product and will soon have an aluminum hat rear rotor with a Mil-spec hardcoat for the parking brake out very soon.

Last edited by ghoffman; 09-19-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:48 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

cj68, is this for C5 or C6?

What about PFC DD rotors? Those are pretty trick.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:43 AM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by magnetic1
cj68, is this for C5 or C6?

What about PFC DD rotors? Those are pretty trick.
C5. Are these the 2 piece fronts you are talking about? If so, they are pretty nice.

not with an e-brake just use some NAPA's on the rear they should last a while in the rear.
The rears aren't lasting either. Both me and my buddy (Rob's 73) have been cracking the rears pretty quickly. Maybe it's Summit Point? So I am looking for alternatives and am anxious to see Gary's new 2 piece set up for the rear.

cj

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone tried the Racing Brake Rotors?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:52 AM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by ghoffman
We were first to market with Coleman rotors and our hats. Our hats are superior to the others in many ways. We use AN fasteners with no threads in shear, captured bolt heads that do not permit the fastener to rotate that facilitates assembly and security and we hold extremely tight tolerances. In addition we use Nordlocks on the nut side and have engineered in radial flexures to accommodate the thermal expansion without having to have floater hardware. Also, we have Coleman heat treat and balance each rotor and relieve the inner circle for minimum mass (total 15.9 lbs for the 14 inch C6ZO6). Lastly we have almost 3 years of testing on our product and will soon have an aluminum hat rear rotor with a Mil-spec hardcoat for the parking brake out very soon.
Gary, do you make fronts that fit the stock C5 calipers and if so, what is the cost? Also, when will the 2 piece rear with e-brake be available for the C5 and what is the projected cost?

Thanks,

cj
Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman

Gary, do you have an update on this post?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

the RB Rotors did not perform up to my expectations or needs. They aren't bad, just not enough better to justify the price.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried the Racing Brake Rotors?