Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Rotor Rings for Stoptech?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacement Rotor Rings for Stoptech?

Hey guys, doing some research on Stoptech brakes and trying to find the cost of replacement rotor rings.

Who sells them and how much? How often do they last under hard track conditions.

Also, what is the replacement process? Just unbolt the ring, attach and re-bolt. Or is there some gottcha?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Hey guys, doing some research on Stoptech brakes and trying to find the cost of replacement rotor rings.

Who sells them and how much? How often do they last under hard track conditions.

Also, what is the replacement process? Just unbolt the ring, attach and re-bolt. Or is there some gottcha?
LG has them you just replace the bolts every time you swap them. You will need a inch pound torque wrench.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you know the size

have Colman make you some
Old 09-22-2008, 07:04 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Having used both coleman and stoptech products I personally believe stoptech makes a superior rotor. Also, coleman does not offer the correct bolt circle diameter for the stoptech hats. You would have to have them make custom hats for thier rotors. and then they would also be heavier.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The replacement rings list for $255 each and they include new mounting hardware. So unbolt the old and swap out with the new hardware torque to 72 in/lbs. Then make sure you do a good job burishing in the rotors.

Personally I would stick with the StopTech rotors, I have had 3 customers get over 1 year (18 to 20 track days) on a set of front rotors. But those cars are both around the 380 - 400 rwhp w/areo so they're a little easier on brakes than a new Z will be.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
The replacement rings list for $255 each and they include new mounting hardware. So unbolt the old and swap out with the new hardware torque to 72 in/lbs. Then make sure you do a good job burishing in the rotors.

Personally I would stick with the StopTech rotors, I have had 3 customers get over 1 year (18 to 20 track days) on a set of front rotors. But those cars are both around the 380 - 400 rwhp w/areo so they're a little easier on brakes than a new Z will be.
I am looking at a set of Stoptech's for my C6Z and are trying to do a cost analysis of all the variables (including rotor rings). I got about 6 one day events out of a set of OEM C6Z rotors. They cost $135 ea. It sounds like the rings are 90% higher in cost to the C6Z rotors, but 18-20 track days are amazing. I run XP12's which are aggressive, but not the most aggressive. If I can get another 5 days out of a set of Stoptech's vs OEM, then I will break even. Gotten some feedback from other folks that have gotten significantly less from similar 2 peice rotors. But this gets back to different cars, different drivers and different pad compounds. Pads for the ST-60 caliper are about 70% cheaper than the stock caliper and should last 3X as long. I know I will save money on the pad side of the house, but I may lose money on the rotor side.

Sounds like install is not that bad and just another simple step beyond installing one piece rotors. At this point, pad changes are SO FUSTRATING on a C6Z, the extra $$$ is looking more acceptable. Everytime I get the 6 paddlets set up in the caliper correctly one paddlet falls out and you have to start again. Sometimes it takes about 6-10 tries before you can get the caliper mounted.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I should have said a little more about what else those guys were running, all three cars are using the Hawk DTC-70 in the front, two of the guys is running the ST-60 caliper the other is running the ST-40. They also have rear kits on the cars, does that have something to do with the front longevity, I can't say for certian.
What I can tell you for certian is that I have not seen rotors last as long as the StopTech rotors, plain and simple. Here is a little info, one of the cars was running at NASA nationals (took 3rd in TTS) We ran the Tue. test day and at the end of the day I saw a crack starting at the edge of the RF rotor, I asked Geff if he wanted it changed and he said we should wait, we ran 5 sessions on Wed. (another test day) 3 sessions on Thursday and 2 sessions on Sat. After all of that the crack was finally about 1/2" to 3/4" and the rotor was ready to replace. But to get 10 more sessions once the edge started to show signs of a crack is amazing.

Actually if you want the most cost effective StopTech kit for the C6Z, look at the ST-40 caliper pads are almost $100 less per set than the ST-60 which would help offset the cost of the rotors. The pads are a little smaller, and hence they won't last quite as long but for the money saving it's worth it. They don't have a ST-40 kit listed for the Z but it's the same as the ST-40 kit for the standard C6. If it were my money that is the kit I would go with. JMHO.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Matt thought you were selling the car after this year?

I have 600 miles on my 13" Stoptech and they have some good surface crazing.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:57 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Hey Matt thought you were selling the car after this year?

I have 600 miles on my 13" Stoptech and they have some good surface crazing.
Everything is very "up in the air". I will probably change my mind 1000 times before I make my final decision. In the meantime, I am really HATING brake maintenance on the stock calipers and worst case I buy the calipers and sell the car, it will be a value add to the car.

Anyone looking to buy a very nice kept, mint, 9k mile, prof set up C6Z for track days, 500whp, LG coil overs, Stoptech brakes, race seat, and Phoenix prep?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Have you looked into the new single pad setups for the stock calipers?

FYI I've got Brembos w/ Coleman rotors on the Panoz... the car is slow as crap but my father and I have both used the car back to back in 2 HPDEs now and haven't done a thing other than bleed the brakes. It's using a PFC endurance road race compound. It's pretty cool to sign up for an event and think about not having to do much other than bleed the brakes.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement Rotor Rings for Stoptech?

Quick Reply: Replacement Rotor Rings for Stoptech?