Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"soft" tow point for C5

Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default "soft" tow point for C5

I finally got around to installing a soft tow point on my C5. It is derived from the exact same tow points I have installed on the race cars I've built, but sized to fit the C5 (most likely C6 as well). Personally, I don't install, or recommend hard tow points like what are commonly used. If installed on the bumper areas they can easily be damaged in minor contact and they can also cause damage to other vehicles with only minimal contact. Not to mention they tend to stick out and make it easy to catch anything, like one's knee, when walking by. Folding hooks are no better. Another benefit is that they are very forgiving. They cannot be damaged and only work in tension so no energy is transfered from the tow point to the mounting point if pushed for some reason. If the car is not pulled in a straight line they will not be damaged in any way (they actually can rotate) and they won't cause as much damage as a solid hook to whatever you attach them to. When not in use the tow point can be tucked away so it does't stand out if it's on a street driven car. If a street car ever has to be towed on a flatbed one of these will make it much easier and there is no worry about the truck operator hooking on to something underneath and damaging your vehicle. Anyway, I have photos of the front below. I have the rear hook as well, but have not installed it yet. If anyone is interested just email me and I can get you the details.
trackboss "at" prodigy "dot" net

-V

Last edited by trackboss; 05-27-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: link
Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a good compromise for those of us that do the HPDEs and want tow points.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks like just the thing I have been looking for - nice job! Email sent.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

You should take those plastic screens out and let air flow to your intake and over your motor.

FYI any tow driver worth his salt will have a y-chain setup that can hook into the facotry frame holes behind the two frotn wheels and easily drag the car. Had it done a few times.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
You should take those plastic screens out and let air flow to your intake and over your motor.

creates lift
Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
creates lift
yup, i had some serious problems with that so I blocked them off with some "custom" sheet aluminum.

no more hood flutter.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Ya, that's why I don't remove them. The cooling system on the C5 is designed so that air exits the radiator and goes under the car and out the sides. Cool air over the motor will not do much for water temp. Opening up holes in the hood without laying the radiator forward and properly ducting it up to those holes may not help either. It may actually increase lift as well allowing air flowing over the top of the hood to go in as opposed to coming out which is desirable if there is high pressure under the hood.

-V
Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Ahhh gotcha... makes sense to me.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ Ahhh gotcha... makes sense to me.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I got around to installing the rear tow point. Photos show both extened and retracted hook. In retracted position its barely visible and it can be retracted even further so one cannot see it, but I left a little to make it easier to extend. It is far enough away from the exhaust that there is no issue with it getting damaged from heat. It's also mounted closer to the main frame rail when compared to the steel hooks that use the muffler hanger. That makes for a stronger mount and less chance of bending the bumper in a hard pull. In addition it does not affect the alignment of the muffler. I mounted mine on the passenger side although it can be mounted on either.
-V

Last edited by trackboss; 05-27-2010 at 04:25 AM. Reason: link
Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Anyone know how to remove the license #? I removed in in photobucket, but when I edit the post and re-paste the link I only get the original photo?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
Anyone know how to remove the license #? I removed in in photobucket, but when I edit the post and re-paste the link I only get the original photo?
Be sure you are saving the edit then recopy the link. If that doesn't work, edit - then "save a copy". Then paste the new link.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:02 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I corrected the photo last night, but when I edited it on my post it only showed the original even though when I went back to photobucket it showed the newest one. Now I just did what you said and saved a copy. That seemed to work.

thanks!
-V
Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

unfortunately I had to use my front tow point last sunday night. Tie rod broke so left front wheel was not co-operating. Anyhow, strap worked like a charm and made the two truck operators life much easier. Easy enough in fact that he didn't even charge me for the tow.
For anyone interested, hardbar now stocks these for purchase.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool - Just need some BIG TOW HERE ARROWS ===>
Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

We have Vageli's soft tow hooks in stock, in black or red.
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=118
Old 03-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Last winter I installed soft tow points on my C4. Drilled a hole through the frame and put on some grade 8 bolts. I was entering the track on a sharp bank of Brainerd,MN's racetrack for the autocross portion of some racing...only 3/4 of the track was used for racing and the 1st turn was just for entering the track so no cars would be racing around it. Anyway I couldn't make the sharp turn with the 335's in the front so I had to back up the bank a bit. I accidentally stalled the car and the starter had frozen up from the heat so I was stuck on the bank because I couldn't push start it down into the grass there. I had one of the tow trucks come out and they were really happy I had a nice tow hook to pull it with. The strap worked perfect for towing it backwards off the bank. My car I have the fog lights removed and Camaro DOT headlights installed where the fogs used to be. For turn signals I have DOT motorcycle turn signals with industrial velcro on the back of them. When I get to the track I unplug the turn signals quick disconnect and take the signal out of the way.

For the back of the car we remove the license plate once I get to the track just incase to prevent the license plate from being damaged just incase I have to be towed. It probably wouldn't be damaged but we want to be on the safe side:

On track:

And this is why I added tow hooks:

I was running wide open in 4th in the rain/drizzle and it kicked out on me and spun around sideways drivers side first. I went about half a football field sideways on track and then hit the muddy grass at about 100mph sideways and went about another football field before finally stopping. Luckily the car didn't flip and I didn't hit the tire barrier (about 100 feet away) and the only damage was a bunch of mud and grass on the side of the car, some inside the engine bay, and some inside the doorsill area. I also still have grass stuck between the tire on the outside of the driverside tires and the inside of the passenger side tires... but for hitting muddy grass at 100 sideways drivers side first I think I got pretty lucky

We didn't need the tow hooks for that spin but if I had gotten stuck in that mud they would have been very very very nice to have so I would not have been crawling around in muddy wet gras trying to find a place to put a tow hook under a car covered with grass and mud underneath.

Last edited by Git Er Dun; 03-21-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To "soft" tow point for C5

Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Do the pictures work for you guys? I was having a little bit of an issue with getting them to show up but I think I fixed it now...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you mount the rear tow hook?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

For my C4:The front one has a grade 8 bolt through the frame behind the crash support and the rear one has a grade 8 bolt through the frame where the spare tire normally is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "soft" tow point for C5