Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys think about Formula Ford/Continental?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What do you guys think about Formula Ford/Continental?

Title says it all;

Considered Spec-Miata series, but seems too boring!!!!

What do you all think about the FF/FC series???

(Also, will a guy with a 44" chest be able to fit into one of these?)
Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can swing it i think it would be really cool. i got to drive formula fords back in may and i fit fine (6'3", 240 lbs, just big/broad overall). they had multiple sized cars so i am sure there are chassis that aren't an issue for big guys and ones that would be tight.

i would love to get into some kind of formula or sports racer at some point (either dsr/csr or fb). i have found that a lot of track days will allow any fendered cars to run so a dsr/csr sort of car could go and get some seat time but a formula car couldnt.

that said i was sold after one session in those formula fords. even though the one i was in was a little old and what not, it still handles great and just does what you want. it wasnt that quick in a straight line but youll have a smile on your face all day.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I crewed for an F1600 team for a few years. If you can afford to replace complete corners rather than bang out sheetmetal the cars are a lot of fun. They're pretty simple, too, so easy to work on. Don't expect a rocketship, though.

One event at Mosport at the drivers meeting they warned the FF guys that they'd be running with some big cars... tube-frame Camaros. Everybody was told to be careful with the mix of cars. My driver managed to tuck in behind a Camaro on the straight and get sucked along basically overrevving top gear... then the Camaro hit the brakes *way* before the FF would. Evasive action! He missed the Camaro and kept it on track, but it made for a great story back in the paddock.

In all the events we did we never replaced a brake rotor at the track. :-D
Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I

In all the events we did we never replaced a brake rotor at the track. :-D
The rotors on mine are have 10+ seasons. Pads last 5 race weekends.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

My wife drove a Formula Ford in San Francisco SCCA for 8 years. These cars teach you how to drive, fast and safe (open wheel) Easy on brakes, tires, and the engine will last a season if you don't shift like a moron.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you guys think about Formula Ford/Continental?

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about Formula Ford/Continental?