Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...At Track C6 Z06 Throttle response problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Help...At Track C6 Z06 Throttle response problem

Gang,

A guest at Autobahn has an issue with his C6 Z06. He's a newer driver so he asked me to take his car out to verify what was happening.

He reported throttle cut during a previous track session.

I took the car out 45 minutes later after checking all fluid levels and tire pressures. Before I even had a chance to get the car out of first gear within the blend line, it cut out on me.

It feels like T/C kicking in when you push the car too hard.

It happens in all 4 modes. After a few laps it seemed to go away and I tried everything to upset the car's balance.

The oil level is just below the middle hole on the dipstick so the in the snorkel doesn't seem likely.

It occurs with no rhyme or reason.

There are messages or dummy lights on the DIC which is even more confusing.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-27-2008, 01:57 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plug wires coming loose? I've seen that happen a couple times.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for loose hydrocarbon pads in the intake duct-If thr oil is above the 1/2 full mark your pumping oil into the intake/throttle body.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wallyman424
plug wires coming loose? I've seen that happen a couple times.
Thanks Wally,

Connections seem okay.

Originally Posted by Z11409
Check for loose hydrocarbon pads in the intake duct-If thr oil is above the 1/2 full mark your pumping oil into the intake/throttle body.
Thanks,

This is the first thing I thought of and also mentioned in my opening post. If you remember in the FAQ, I was the lucky one to have the first one come loose on my Z06 almost 3 years ago.

The gentleman is going to contact me with any updates.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I was going to say the hydrocarbon pad too.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar problem at Sebring...turned out to be a dirty air filter
Old 09-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06_505
Had a similar problem at Sebring...turned out to be a dirty air filter
Thank you...
Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car did this once at pocono with AH on. I forgot to turn it off and the car was freaking out and "cutting out". I came in and turned AH off and the problem went away. That particular issue never came back and it only did it for a about 2 laps. I doubt it's mechanical or it would continue to rear it's ugly head. My car has been on the track 5 times since this occurence without issue. Ask him if any of his TC lights or anything come on while it happens, mine did.

It does not feel "mechanical", it feels electronic if that makes sense. I have found these cars have very complicated software compared to the C5 and I have all kinds of weird things happen, then never happen again. One fix is to take the car to the dealer and get the lastest software rev uploaded, this should clear up any electronic nannies, but will wipe a tune, so make sure the tuner has kept a copy and you can go back and get it reloaded.

C6's, especially C6Z are very touchy when it comes to the ECU. Also, test the battery to see how much life is left. My car had a poor battery for the last couple months and did CRAZY things. At an event at NJMP, I couldn't get the car into comp mode or T&H off mode, the windows would not go up, or go up 1/2 way. I put in a new battery and the car runs better, windows index properly, and no interference on the track from the ECU.

Even if the car is 12 months old, change the battery and see if that works, if not, have the dealer upload the latest software level. If that doesn't clear the problem up, it is something mechanical or specific to the AH.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:33 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Ask him if any of his TC lights or anything come on while it happens, mine did.
No warning lights or messages, I drove the car and experienced it myself.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:03 AM
billcar9999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, look for codes with a tech 2.

If the car has been tuned, some of the warnings could have been turned off. Not smart but possible.

It's possible that a cat is getting ready to go bad. This happened to me but I got a check engine light eventually. This will show up on a tech 2, the rear 02 sensors are sluggish. To me, this seemed more like an engine miss than a T/C issue.

It's possible that something is wrong with the sensor on the brake pedal. I had this problem too but it I got a service active handling message immediately. You may be able to replicate this by putting lateral pressure on the brake pedal.

On my C6 vert, intermittent loss of communication from the EBCM to the other modules can cause some weird behavior but not throw a code (DIC) until it happens more than X times. The codes can be seen by a tech 2 but not with HP tuner software.

Last but not least: I heard about a problem with moisture in a connector that can cause the car to throw lean codes, idle codes, etc. Again, this is more of a driveability issue than T/C but you never know. This may be a variation of that problem. The connector is supposed to be near the rear of the right front fender. There is supposed to be a TSB on this but haven't seen it yet.

The bottom line is: get a tech 2 on it to see all the codes then troubleshoot.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Mike

How is this car for just normal driving ?

We have a few around with the symptoms you discribe.

Get notified of new replies

To Help...At Track C6 Z06 Throttle response problem

Quick Reply: Help...At Track C6 Z06 Throttle response problem