Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stumbling and spark plugs

Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine stumbling and spark plugs

So for the past couple races I've been having an intermittent engine stumbling. It sort of acts like a rev limiter for a second or so and then disappears with the engine continuing on as usual. At first I thought this was a part throttle issue, but at nationals it happened at WOT a couple times.

So, after some searching, I decided that my likely culprits are probably the coil packs, plugs or wires. I pulled the plugs today, most of them looked "OK" but could definitely do with replacing. They were all brownish, with a sort of layer over the tips.

However, when i hit the rearmost cylinder on the drivers side, this happened:

At first I cursed up a storm, thinking I'd have to take off the head to get that thing out, then I realized that the nut was still in there and just unscrewed it the rest of the way. So, on with the questions.

- Is it possible for a plug to crack like that from use? Or did I just oafishly break it when unscrewing it?
- What plugs should I get to replace these?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:18 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Wally, I have seen plugs that have been cracked and not noticed. they can cause a miss if used that way it may have been cracked installing it. The best plugs are the Stock replacements. They are actually Denso for about half price!
What you have may be your miss
Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the exact problem on my SRF! Finally I found it and one plug was almost broken in half and another was cracked pretty good. The boot was the only thing holding it together.

No way did I cause that installing them either. Right in the middle of a corner it would be like you just disconnected one cylinder momentarily (25% of them in my case!). No idea why this occurs however.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:22 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, i replaced all the plugs. here's hoping that was the issue!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:29 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
well, i replaced all the plugs. here's hoping that was the issue!
Wally,

When I install headers I always replace the spark plugs for just that reason, I just don't trust spark plugs that have been removed for $40 - $50 it's just not worth the hassle. A cracked electrode would definatly cause and issue like you had at Nats. I guess we'll see. Oh btw I have never seen a factory GM coil pack fail, I've seen an MSD coil pack fail but not a GM one yet.

Joel
Old 09-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

My car had the same high RPM stutter that got worse and worse. Simple plug swap and it went away.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine stumbling and spark plugs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine stumbling and spark plugs